Any word on Nesta?

Football is about bullying the shlt out of other people.

But not your own teammates.

I made the Nesta/cancer post months ago, and one of the Maudes pulled it because he thought I got it from one particular source, but I had actually heard it from multiple sources.

Obviously, opinions may differ, but I have been hearing for a while that things will get better once Nesta gets his diploma.

I understand the numbers issue, so that's why we'll hit the Portal. And if Nesta does come back, I hope he improves his outlook.

Some guys are obsessed with 3-4 over 4-3, but the reality is, we need an attitude adjustment on our defense.

Advertisement
Nesta gets flash plays and them hustle plays stand out too. Do I defend Nesta? Of course because this narrative that he isn’t good or doesn’t play hard is ridiculous. Some of these guys can’t be watching games

Re-read the thread, Brock. There is also a narrative that he is problematic as a teammate. I realize there are a lot of guys who watch all these games from 1,000 miles away, and thus want to judge everything by what they see on tee-vee, but there are some chemistry issues that create bad TEAM outcomes. Sure, Nesta has some good INDIVIDUAL traits that you can see on video, but there's more to it than just being an individual.

If you can play at Warren Sapp's level, then maybe people can ignore the toxic stuff. If not...

Nesta gets flash plays and that’s what people remember. They lose focus when he goes awol the rest of the game. Nobody on our DL was a difference maker and that’s why the defense sucks. Other than Taylor ( potential) we have no dudes. It’s been so long since we’ve had difference makers that people forget what that looks like.
I disagree with two points. Nesta doesn't only make "flash" plays. He makes effort plays as well. There's been countless times Nesta has hustled his *** off on a play where an opposing player broke loose but yet Nesta's the one making the tackle 10+ yards down the field. The guy isn't consistent, that's a fair assessment. To say he only makes flash plays isn't.

What would you call J. Philips, G. Rousseau, G. Willis, R. McIntosh, T. Harris, C. Thomas?

No need to exaggerate to make your point.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I always felt he underperformed, be never really took advantage of all that was given him to utilize to his and teams benefit.

I had a feeling every time watching Nesta play that there was way more there that wasn’t tapped into besides war paint on his face.

I wanted him to be the next Sapp .

Well when he free agents to the NFL he’ll see he should have trained way more then he ever thought he needed to , I’m sure he’s been told this .

GOCANES
Bro, what?! You essentially said, "I wanted him to be one of the best defensive tackles to ever play the game". That's unrealistic for 99% of the population, including Nesta. Nesta is/has been a good player for us. Great, no. Dominant, no. Good/serviceable/productive, yes.

Can you go more into detail when you put he never fully took advantage of all that was given to him?

Last edited:
This reminds of the Shaq slander.

A lot of ”fans” lacking any real football knowledge or perspective not wanting a productive player back.

Would it benefit the team for Nesta to return for the 2022 season?

Does our new coach want him to return in 2022?

If your answer wasn’t yes to both questions, you have a room temperature football IQ.
🎯🎯🎯💯💯

But not your own teammates.

I made the Nesta/cancer post months ago, and one of the Maudes pulled it because he thought I got it from one particular source, but I had actually heard it from multiple sources.

Obviously, opinions may differ, but I have been hearing for a while that things will get better once Nesta gets his diploma.

I understand the numbers issue, so that's why we'll hit the Portal. And if Nesta does come back, I hope he improves his outlook.

Some guys are obsessed with 3-4 over 4-3, but the reality is, we need an attitude adjustment on our defense.

You think that he can’t be managed by the new regime?

I know all about Nesta, I’ve seen him beefing with coaches, including Manny, on the sidelines. So what?

The line will be better with him than without him.

Advertisement
Bro, what?! You essentially said, "I wanted him to be the one of the best defensive tackles to ever play the game". That's unrealistic for 99% of the population, including Nesta. Nesta is/has been a good player for us. Great, no. Dominant, no. Good/serviceable/productive, yes.

Can you go more into detail when you put he never fully took advantage of all that was given to him?
Yes , a good player his up side was / is off the charts he just didn’t 🎯 the target on taking advantage of training.

Sapp was fat , hardly no training but he had a fierce fire in his heart he would not be beaten.

yes , I had the bar high for Nesta , I wanted him to get to the U and dominant. Nesta actually has more tools than Sapp .

I played in the trenches and like Shannon Crowder on 560 WQAM said once “ I can tell with in 5 minutes if a player is going to be good or great” .

This is true Crowder has a tremendous eye for talent.

Again I’m still waiting for Nesta to be the player he can be , but that road is less traveled.

We have players on the road less traveled Restrepo in one of them .

Not many tools to work with BUT he trains like no other so he can be like no other and it’s SHOWING GLARINGLY 🙌.

Hope I made sense , hard to explain the FIRE in a man’s heart.

GOCANES

Putting aside my disagreement for a sec, who do you intend to replace him with? As of now it looks like we’re pretty short handed, so I don’t see any reason to wish anyone gone.
Its a fair point because we do need depth, but i'd prefer we get a player that is coming in for depth and lets us move on to starting our younger players than bring back Nesta with the expectation of starting when he is, to me, tapped out on his potential. But agree we still need some depth there.

Re-read the thread, Brock. There is also a narrative that he is problematic as a teammate. I realize there are a lot of guys who watch all these games from 1,000 miles away, and thus want to judge everything by what they see on tee-vee, but there are some chemistry issues that create bad TEAM outcomes. Sure, Nesta has some good INDIVIDUAL traits that you can see on video, but there's more to it than just being an individual.

If you can play at Warren Sapp's level, then maybe people can ignore the toxic stuff. If not...
I'm not sure how many different ways that needed explained to a few people, but thanks for trying once again. Though I highly doubt it will actually set in.

Advertisement
You think that he can’t be managed by the new regime?

I know all about Nesta, I’ve seen him beefing with coaches, including Manny, on the sidelines. So what?

The line will be better with him than without him.

I don't know if it can or cannot be managed by the new regime. I do know that habits and patterns become more ingrained over our lifetimes. Whether Nesta will make significant changes in his final year? Who knows.

The reality is, you (and a few others) are just bulldozing through what other people say. Look at what you just typed. "So what?" and "The line will be better with him than without him."

Maybe that's true and maybe that's not, but you insisting on it doesn't make it true. I understand the concept of "who are we replacing him with", but that was also said (not necessarily by you, but by many people on this board) about Manny Diaz. Meanwhile, you had many insiders who were telling us that if Manny stays, a ton of guys will hit the Portal. And then people would respond with "but, but, but, we won 5 out of 6 and our guys aren't quitting anymore."

All of these things can be true.

Nesta has talent. Nesta does not have a good impact on the team dynamic. Can it be fixed? I try hard never to give up on anyone's shot at redemption (though I was done with Pope and Wiggins a while ago). But if Nesta leaves and things get better, I will also not be surprised.

This is a complex analysis. Yes, Nesta has made plays AND been corrosive to the team. I'm not sure where he would go anyhow. Transfer? NFL? His best pathway seems to be staying and getting better, but I also don't want him to impede the overall team as he has for the past few years.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the impact of a me-first teammate when a coach (good-Cristobal or bad-Diaz) is trying to build a team dynamic.

I'd love for things to change. I'm not sure they will.

Putting aside my disagreement for a sec, who do you intend to replace him with? As of now it looks like we’re pretty short handed, so I don’t see any reason to wish anyone gone.

You do realize this is the one-particular-player version of "play the freshmen" vs. "the upperclassmen are ready and the young players are not"?

I'll always love Nesta. But I also might be OK with him not returning for 2022.

I'm not sure how many different ways that needed explained to a few people, but thanks for trying once again. Though I highly doubt it will actually set in.

Agreed. Lots of hard-headed PlayStation All-Americans out there. Guys who know how to build a team from watching the games on tee-vee...

Advertisement
Won't say who but some of the online bullying regarding the kid and his name, oh man,....would just love to see you taunt him like that to his face if you're going to go there.

What trouble has he gotten into regarding school or being in the Miami area in his time here? You know, the kinda stuff we should be concerned about instead of team drama where we close our eyes and imagine we've been told we're the 86th scholarship?

I dont think some of you realize you come off as living in an imaginary world where you're on the team, lol. You aren't. Enjoy the fact that you aren't, because 9 out of 10 of us certain couldn't take it.

Every kid isin't going to be Michael Strahan. If he hasnt repped us well off-the-field his entire time here I'd edit this post, but beyond that, the defense clearly lacked leadership right @ the top for years and I'm not ready to single any kid out and attack them for underperformance.

I don't know if it can or cannot be managed by the new regime. I do know that habits and patterns become more ingrained over our lifetimes. Whether Nesta will make significant changes in his final year? Who knows.

The reality is, you (and a few others) are just bulldozing through what other people say. Look at what you just typed. "So what?" and "The line will be better with him than without him."

Maybe that's true and maybe that's not, but you insisting on it doesn't make it true. I understand the concept of "who are we replacing him with", but that was also said (not necessarily by you, but by many people on this board) about Manny Diaz. Meanwhile, you had many insiders who were telling us that if Manny stays, a ton of guys will hit the Portal. And then people would respond with "but, but, but, we won 5 out of 6 and our guys aren't quitting anymore."

All of these things can be true.

Nesta has talent. Nesta does not have a good impact on the team dynamic. Can it be fixed? I try hard never to give up on anyone's shot at redemption (though I was done with Pope and Wiggins a while ago). But if Nesta leaves and things get better, I will also not be surprised.

This is a complex analysis. Yes, Nesta has made plays AND been corrosive to the team. I'm not sure where he would go anyhow. Transfer? NFL? His best pathway seems to be staying and getting better, but I also don't want him to impede the overall team as he has for the past few years.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the impact of a me-first teammate when a coach (good-Cristobal or bad-Diaz) is trying to build a team dynamic.

I'd love for things to change. I'm not sure they will.

Who has performed better as a defensive tackle for Miami the last couple of years? Yes we will be better with him than without him. And if the current regime can’t handle him, they’ll neutralize him. Again, do you think Mario wants him to stay? I already know the answer.

Good motor but needs to work on his hands/techniques. We need him to stay for depth purposes. But I doubt he does.

NestaGrill.JPG

Last edited:
I always felt he underperformed, be never really took advantage of all that was given him to utilize to his and teams benefit.

I had a feeling every time watching Nesta play that there was way more there that wasn’t tapped into besides war paint on his face.

I wanted him to be the next Sapp .

Well when he free agents to the NFL he’ll see he should have trained way more then he ever thought he needed to , I’m sure he’s been told this .

GOCANES

Your problem is wanting him to be the next Sapp. We have to stop trying to make these kids players they aren’t.

Advertisement
Back