Any Given Sunday

prg3Kane

Sophomore
Watched this movie again for the x100th time on Netlflix. Its 21 years old now and even then it felt like a nostalgia piece. It comes off like some foreshadowing tribute to the Orange Bowl and 20th century Miami-area football more every time I see it with so many homages to South Fla football culture, even some rare, coincidental ones.

Off the top of my head:
- The owner trying to leverage the city into a new stadium because the current one is falling apart, and the city, "...hasn't contributed one penny to the maintenance on that relic."
- Al Pacino as the Don Shula coach with multiple championships but getting old with creeping doubts that the game is passing him by.
- Dennis Quaid as the Dan Marino with a HOF career but on the edge of retirement but who, "...is a god**** hero to the working people of Florida.'
- (weird one) Quaid's house in the movie was actually Dan Marino's house.
- (even weirder one) On the team plane Coach Dmato sits with Willie Beaman and asks what he's listening to. "Trick Daddy," says Beaman. Dmato tries to act hip and pretends to know who he is. Anyone who's seen the Butch Davis story on the 'U Part II' will get the coincidence.
- So many non-traditional, Hollywood-type, helicopter shots of the Orange Bowl from all different angles, night and day...almost like it was a character in the movie itself.

What's also funny is how all of the shots of downtown and Brickell look nothing like today.

Something else I learned was that the league didn't want to give Oliver Stone any rights or concessions to use League images due to the portrayal of football players as normal people with the same problems. It portrayed concussions as not taken seriously either. The NFL told teams not to cooperate w the movies production. I don't know about Oliver Stone's feelings on Miami but it felt like that movie's production really tapped into something.

If you haven't seen it, and you're holed up for a while, its a good watch and a really good football movie. Lawrence Taylor comes off as the freak, you can't take your eyes off him and steals every football action scene. Andrew Byrnyarski (the crazy, face-paint dude from The Program) is in and plays another freak. For someone who watched and loved The Program as a kid, my buddy and I always used to roleplay as Lattimore and Mack as linebackers in grade-school football, I watch Byrnyarski like some hero character who played the same guy in both movies. Tons of NFL players were in it, Terrell Owens, Ricky Watters, Jim Brown (who plays a badass D-Coordinator), Warren Moon, **** Butkus, Johnny Unitas...Saw it in theaters in '99. Tons of older people hated it, but I thought it got better over time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Watched this movie again for the x100th time on Netlflix. Its 21 years old now and even then it felt like a nostalgia piece. It comes off like some foreshadowing tribute to the Orange Bowl and 20th century Miami-area football more every time I see it with so many homages to South Fla football culture, even some rare, coincidental ones.

Off the top of my head:
- The owner trying to leverage the city into a new stadium because the current one is falling apart and the city, "...hasn't contributed one penny to the maintenance on that relic."
- Al Pacino as the Don Shula coach with multiple championships but getting old with creeping doubts that the game is passing him by.
- Dennis Quaid as the Dan Marino with a HOF career but on the edge of retirement but who, "...is a god**** hero to the working people of Florida.'
- (weird one) Quaid's house in the movie was actually Dan Marino's house.
- (even weirder one) On the team plane Coach Dmato sits with Willie Beaman and asks what he's listening to. "Trick Daddy," says Beaman. Dmato tries to act hip and pretends to know who he is. Anyone who's seen the Butch Davis story on the 'U Part II' will get the coincidence.
- So many non-traditional, Hollywood-type, helicopter shots of the Orange Bowl from all different angles, night and day...almost like it was a character in the movie itself.

What's also funny is how all of the shots of downtown and Brickell look nothing like today.

Something else I learned was that the league didn't want to give Oliver Stone any rights or concessions to use League images due to the portrayal of football players as normal people with the same problems. It portrayed concussions as not taken seriously either. The NFL told teams not to cooperate w the movies production. I don't know about Oliver Stone's feelings on Miami but it felt like that movie's production really tapped into something.

If you haven't seen it, and you're holed up for a while, its a good watch and a really good football movie. Lawrence Taylor comes off as the freak, you can't take your eyes off him and steals every football action scene. Andrew Byrnyarski (the crazy, face-paint dude from The Program) is in and plays another freak. For someone who watched and loved The Program as a kid, my buddy and I always used to roleplay as Lattimore and Mack as linebackers in grade-school football, I watch Byrnyarski like some hero character who played the same guy in both movies. Tons of NFL players were in it, Terrell Owens, Ricky Watters, Jim Brown (who plays a badass D-Coordinator), Warren Moon, **** Butkus, Johnny Unitas...Saw it in theaters in '99. Tons of older people hated it, but I thought it got better over time.
Saw it yesterday. Ran through a wall after the "game of inches" speech.

Sat back down afterward to realize they were basically foreshadowing how we should've moved to the spread 20 years ago.

That's got nothing on the movie division 3 football's finest

I was never crazy about it besides the obvious ties to Miami, tbh. It’s so over the top and over-dramatic. I guess that’s why it’s a movie and not real football.

Advertisement
I was never crazy about it besides the obvious ties to Miami, tbh. It’s so over the top and over-dramatic. I guess that’s why it’s a movie and not real football.

I never watched it because I figured it was like you said. Now after reading op summary I think I will give it a shot this week.

Advertisement
I always thought the Miami Sharks logo and unis from that movie would've translated best to the real world moreso than most football movies. I mean I dunno bout wearing all black in Miami but it was still cool.

I totally get that. When I was coming out of the theater in '99 I overheard one geriatric guy say, "Terrible. Oliver Stone has totally gone downhill." I laughed. There's a lot of naked ***, drug use, ***, profanity and sharp cuts and edits. Realistically, the movie was probably closer to real life than some people think.

I totally get that. When I was coming out of the theater in '99 I overheard one geriatric guy say, "Terrible. Oliver Stone has totally gone downhill." I laughed. There's a lot of naked ***, drug use, ***, profanity and sharp cuts and edits. Realistically, the movie was probably closer to real life than some people think.

I saw the movie in the theater too. I think I was in college when it came out. The nudity, drug use profanity, etc. isn’t really the problem. It’s the over the top, almost cartoon like personalities and melodrama. It’s like if someone decided to make “XFL The Movie”.

Advertisement
Weird timing. I remember not liking it at all when it came out but also saw it again the other day and had totally different viewpoints (much like yours) and thought it stood the test of time.

Willie Beamon foreshadowed Lamar Jackson (more so than Vick for me). It was like a cultural clash between Marino and lj.

Advertisement
In my top 3 sports movies. This movie has everything for a 9 yr old. Football, LL, all the drama (the beef with Willie and Washington was the best), snorting coke off ****, funny scenes like when Willie came on the field for the first time (Jamie Foxx can bring some comic relief to any role), and eyeballs popping out.

I believe they filmed alot of the "crowd" shots at the 1998 Miami-UCLA game where we pulled the upset.

One shot has two girls in FSU tanks, so I always thought it was a UM/FSU game. But if its the UCLA game, that's even cooler.

Advertisement
Back