Antione Jackson to UCF

Advertisement
I think it’s a fair post. A reclassified 16 year old went to ECU not UiF or FSU… ECU… following a girl there foolishly. That’s too much for their feelings??? We’re in desperate need of CB talent.

Good lord. I’m more offended that Lou Cristobal started the bowl game.
Speaking of Lou, remember when it was "Stop panicking. Lou Cristobal's scholarship will never be the reason someone else isn't a take"?

If we're as tight on numbers as our insiders are saying, then.. yeah.. him being on scholarship makes a difference.

Speaking of Lou, remember when it was "Stop panicking. Lou Cristobal's scholarship will never be the reason someone else isn't a take"?

If we're as tight on numbers as our insiders are saying, then.. yeah.. him being on scholarship makes a difference.

Isn’t Sweet Lou graduating? Didn’t have a problem for a one and done but if it’s more…. Not ideal.

Yes and I was one of those guys who didn’t think it was a big deal. If they don’t have a spot for a guy like this because of numbers then it’s certainly a big deal. I’m shocked he actually started. I don’t get that and to the rest of us it looks awful.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yes and I was one of those guys who didn’t think it was a big deal. If they don’t have a spot for a guy like this because of numbers then it’s certainly a big deal. I’m shocked he actually started. I don’t get that and to the rest of us it looks awful.
I was against it from the start just because I saw it far too often when I was still coaching. Some dip**** stepson would start over guys who were clearly better. I'd have players asking me why the dip**** is playing over them and I couldn't tell them the truth. Its hard to keep a teenager interested when they know they aren't starting no matter how hard they work.

I know its not THAT bad with Lou (as long as he NEVER plays that many snaps again). But seeing that tweet Blount/Jackson tweet brought back old memories. A talented player not getting an offer, meanwhile an underserving relative is on scholarship.

Like I've said before, Mario was the guy I wanted and I'm with him either way. But this is one of those moves I question.

so you’re one of those “take whoever helps you win” types.
Look at Burroughs. He's a grown *** man. Dude has been given a second chance, by his second his team. If we're keeping him around after the **** he's pulled, the mistakes Jackson made as 16 year old shouldn't disqualify him from getting another shot.

Advertisement
We definitely need 1 CB in the Portal. But does it have to be Antione Jackson? No. Is it actually likely we get someone better than him in the portal? Maybe not. So because of that, I hope we take him. Plus it seems like it'd be easy to land him.

But I also don't think it is crazy to not take him for some pretty good reasons. I mean would this kid help us? At least as depth, yes. I don't think he'd start here next year though. Long-term is it good to have a kid graduate early, Sign an NLI, demand to be released (and we really only allow this to protect HS relationships), then allow him to return less than 12 months later? Sometimes examples need to be made. Sometimes you actively make the decision that doesn't immediately help us to try to set long-term expectations - especially expectations in south florida (to hs coaches and players) for how we will act. We give you your chance, don't **** it up. And make no mistake, the majority of people on here were basically saying this when his situation was playing out last year when he was demanding to be let out of his NLI...

Anyways This is just pretty simple to me. We need a portal CB. The best one we can get. Antione Jackson already has shown us he makes poor choices, and I can see us sending a message. But I think if the staff feels we can't get someone better, then we'll take him. I also don't necessarily think there is a rush either tbh. It's a dead period right now.

I’m genuinely torn on this situation. Obviously I’m not well informed, but part of me thinks “fool me once…” Another part of me thinks he was a young kid who made a mistake and he deserves a second chance.

Advertisement
I’m genuinely torn on this situation. Obviously I’m not well informed, but part of me thinks “fool me once…” Another part of me thinks he was a young kid who made a mistake and he deserves a second chance.
It comes down to a non emotional question of - does this kid make our squad better or not next year.

Except he was not on scholarship when we enrolled him.

And even if we had a leftover scholarship in August 2023 and gave it to him as a walk-on, those scholarships are not 4-year guarantees, and there is no guarantee that Lou will either (a) be on the roster in August 2024 or (b) receiving a scholarship in August 2024.

Advertisement
Back