Anthony Schwartz Potential

CanesFan10

Recruit
Saw his numbers at The Opening Miami and what really stood out to me was his 4.34 40 and his 4.07 shuttle. Can easily get past defenders but do you guys think he has a great potential in his route running?

Advertisement
Senior tape will come out soon enough. Everyone just needs to be patient and wait for the results.

Advertisement
My boy was talking to some of the kids on AH today. None of them think he will be focusing on football at all moving forward in college. He's really serious about track. Rightfully so.

As for my thoughts. Not that high on him. Yes, he's fast. I've been to AH games before, he's extremely raw as a WR. Didn't really stand out each time either. He has a ways to go and things you can't teach for sure though. I've seen a lot of fast kid who are not good at football. Not saying he's bad but he was not the heart of that offense and he needs work on his hands and route running a lot. There's more to being a WR than just being fast.

Edit: I understand the hype and why some like him, don't get me wrong.

Last edited:
My boy was talking to some of the kids on AH today. None of them think he will be focusing on football at all moving forward in college. He's really serious about track. Rightfully so.

As for my thoughts. Not that high on him. Yes, he's fast. I've been to AH games before, he's extremely raw as a WR. Didn't really stand out each time either. He has a ways to go and things you can't teach for sure though. I've seen a lot of fast kid who are not good at football. Not saying he's bad but he was not the heart of that offense and he needs work on his hands and route running a lot. There's more to being a WR than just being fast.

Then again there was the Saga of " Bullet Bob Hayes "...Only took two years of playing in the NFL to notice safety's moving back an additional five yards as he still blew by them..

Streaks are good and all, especially in 1 on 1s, but a good safety ain't letting you get behind them if that's all you got. Seems like a less developed Jeff Thomas. Why we want a kid that's fast but has no other standout skills. Gotta be a catastrophe for him to end up here, especially over the other guys we hoping to get.

Advertisement
I prefer Elijah Moore as the 4th WR in this class. He reminds me a lot of Peter Warrick with way he runs his routes and makes his cuts.

If he's not going to focus on football, we shouldn't focus on him. Plain and simple. I guess it's up to him. No reason to spend a scholie if he's not all in with the talent at WR this cycle.

Advertisement
I prefer Elijah Moore as the 4th WR in this class. He reminds me a lot of Peter Warrick with way he runs his routes and makes his cuts.

Copeland is actually the dude in this class that reminds me of Warrick. Serious YAC potential.

The one thing I could never understand is - last recruiting cycle, there was a player of almost identical build and measurables. This player primarily played RB in HS but was recruited to be a CB in college. This board and the coaches pretty ****ed when he chose to go to another in state school. He was a pretty high priority recruit and Miami fans would've been ecstatic if he had signed with us. Was he a shutdown CB in HS? Nope. Was he better than any of the CBs being recruited this cycle? Nope. So, why was he such a hot ticket item? Speed. Everyone talked about his 4.34 speed and how you can't teach that. Never mind that he didn't even play the position he was being recruited for or that CB (IMO) is a harder position to learn at the next level than WR.

Would I have taken that other recruit? Absolutely. Would I take Anthony Schwartz - Absolutely. You just can't teach that speed. Would I take him at WR - maybe/maybe not - depending on a bunch of things. But if not at WR, I'd certainly take him as an athlete/ KR.

Now, I'd agree that if he's not going to be focusing on football at the next level, we need to pass and save a scholarship. But if he's interested and is willing to focus on football, then yea, I'd take him. Find a spot for him one way or another.

Edit: I understand the hype and why some like him, don't get me wrong.

Advertisement
Interesting kid...May be worth the gamble but if you assume Pope is in, we are off to so good of a start at the position he may get left off.

He is either a Dorsett/Heyward-Bey (and DHB was a very good college WR so that is a compliment) OR a Deonte Thompson or worse Xavier Carter.

I wouldn't mind taking him, but like I said, lot of kids at the position.

Reminds me if that track kid that was committed under Golden but then went to FSU. He made a few plays in his career there but he wasn't elite.

Then again there was the Saga of " Bullet Bob Hayes "...Only took two years of playing in the NFL to notice safety's moving back an additional five yards as he still blew by them..

Then there was the saga of Frank Budd who might have been the world's fastest himan before Bob Hayes and couldn't do squat on the football field. I remember sitting in a newly-built RFK Stadium in D.C. (not called RFK yet, only renamed that I think after Bobby Kennedy's assassination in 1968) and watching a Bears-Redskins exhibition game. That would have been August, 1963. (I was there to see my main man, Redskin fullback Don Bosseler and the greatest UM player of the 1950's). Budd could never become a football player. So, I know the syndrome. This kid, at least, has garnered some attention as a football player. I stand corrected on my comments in another thread if he's not really somebody we want to recruit because of lack of football skills. Who was the future Olympic sprinter from the Tampa area who spurned us for UF. I think he was Jerome Brown's cousin. Didn't really do much in football at UF and perhaps did a bit more at the Olympics.

I leave it all up to the coaches. We'd spend four years waiting for the kid to break out and the fans would be complaining. He'd be miserable at UM. We recruited a fast kid from D.C. in the '80's, Robert Thomas, and he spent about a year with the football team and dropped it for track. The late Tory Mitchell was fast as anyone we ever recruited and he bolted for Texas Tech after a year. Some of these track guys might be a bit flaky, after all.

Come to think of it....is Chise the track guy who was always questionning Jammi German's manhood on Grassy?....I think he said he was.

Yes, flaky.

The only reason you slow play this kid this season is the insane depth at the position this recruiting cycle. **** I'd call the track coach and get him to school through that avenue. It's worked prior. Why not in this situation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back