Anthony Mack Transferring

Before coach l Miami basketball was not on any recruits radar.ncaa,fbi didn't help but I'm sure coach l will get us back.gonna have to be patient which is something the cane fan base has little of.

Advertisement
Based upon recent history, I’ll be shocked if McGusty isn’t mysteriously gone a week before the next season starts.

From all intents and purposes, McGusty didn't come to Miami with a reputation of being a complete knucklehead. Wilson and Muhammad came with those rumors surrounding them. Guess what, McClellan and Rodriguez came here and played. Same with Larkin, who technically was a transfer. The grad transfers Miami has landed have managed to stay in the program.

I mean losing him isn't a loss

But how many more years are people going to use the FBI thing as an excuse? Poor roster management has been going on since before the investigation. Stop it already

Miami was fine roster wise before the FBI basically made it impossible for L to sign anyone worth a ****. How many teams do well when they are unable to get anyone to come in, especially after losing two NBA draft picks? Miami has historically played with 10 guys, with the rotation shorting to the industry standard of 8 or so when conference play started. Miami didn't even have that many scholarship athletes this year, especially after Hernandez got screwed and Gak got hurt.

Go look at Arizona, they had the same thing, and that's a program that at least could go out and get guys based on name recognition and resources alone. It's the uncertainty that sinks programs.

From all intents and purposes, McGusty didn't come to Miami with a reputation of being a complete knucklehead. Wilson and Muhammad came with those rumors surrounding them. Guess what, McClellan and Rodriguez came here and played. Same with Larkin, who technically was a transfer. The grad transfers Miami has landed have managed to stay in the program.

Pretty much: J. Thomas, D. Kirk and Z. Johnson were also all transfers that managed to stay.

Miami was fine roster wise before the FBI basically made it impossible for L to sign anyone worth a ****. How many teams do well when they are unable to get anyone to come in, especially after losing two NBA draft picks? Miami has historically played with 10 guys, with the rotation shorting to the industry standard of 8 or so when conference play started. Miami didn't even have that many scholarship athletes this year, especially after Hernandez got screwed and Gak got hurt.

1. As for roster management issues; they have been prevalent for a long time. They existed before the FBI bullchit too. Now the FBI investigation did really hurt us recruiting wise, nobody would say the opposite, but this doesn't mean that these issues didn't exist before that. So you have an issue that already existed, roster management, and then you have an even bigger hurdle (from outside forces). Even with the FBI bullchit, Coach was able to bring in 3 transfers last year (McGusty, Mack and Johnson). Clearly those 3 didn't care, I am sure there were others too. Also, Coach was able to recruit this year and has 2 signed recruits so far. There are other ways to fill the class besides elite HS recruits. Our best teams didn't have elite HS recruits.

Again, not saying this FBI bullchit didn't *** us. I am just saying that we've had roster management issues for some time.

2. As for historically playing with 10 guys, I am not going to argue whether this is true or not but look at the numbers below. The first number represents the "active" scholarships being used (those eligible to play). The second number represents the total scholarships being used.

(Active/Total Ships Used)

2018-19: 9/11 (McGusty is sitting out and Miller is redshirting)
2017-18: 10/12 (Wilson sat out and Gak redshirted)
2016-17: 9/11* (Gilmore sat out but was kicked out of school during the season)
2015-16: 10/11 (Muhammad sat out)
2014-15: 11/12 (Murphy sat out)

*Waardenburg sat out 2016-17 but arrived late. He is included in the numbers even though he sat and redshirted.

It is clear that having so few active ships (9.8 on average, see above) is not a good way to start the season.

- Injuries happen.
- Players get thrown out of school (e.g. Muhammad kicked out during the season).
- Players choosing to transfer (e.g. Mack)
- Then you have kids sitting out for other reasons (e.g. transfers coming in and redshirts)

3. What is the argument against bringing in more kids? Nobody is saying that every kid we recruit or that transfers into the program needs to be elite. We're just saying fill the class. As a program, we know kids are leaving all the time.

4. The thing I don't understand is why don't we bring in more grad transfers as fillers. I am not talking about highly sought after grad transfers (e.g. Z. Johnson), that is obvious. But if you know you have 2 open spots and there are no more really good transfers, why not bring in fillers? I am talking about players like Joe Thomas. They're low risk players who are willing to compete. They're gone in a year. It is better to have them then no one.

5. The other thing I don't get is our local recruiting. Why don't we take chances on more local prospects? Remember Neftali Alvarez? Local kid from Miami Christian HS. Are you telling me we couldn't bring this kid in late? For those that forget...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4398075/neftali-alvarez

Neftali Alvarez joins the Fairfield University men's basketball program after last season at Miami Christian where he helped the school capture two state titles. In his junior season, Alvarez netted the game-winning three pointer in the first of those titles. He averaged a double-double last season with 27 points and 11 assists per game which caused the Miami Herald to select him as the 5A-1A Player of the Year. He was one of nine finalists for Florida's Mr. Basketball award, an honor bestowed to the top player in the state. He also garnered All-State honors both as a junior and as a senior.

Maybe you can convince him to redshirt. Maybe he just wants to compete. Why not bring more of these kids in?

Advertisement
I wish he'd lose a couple more, e.,g., Miller and Sam. They might get to contribute someplace else. So, if that is "losing the team," I say keep it up, Coach.

Sam would be great for us if he would get heavy into the PEDs and if we kicked his dog a few times (which I could never do...)....short of that, not strong or tough enough.

UM

Typical trash Miami fan who likely became a fan of the program when it was 'cool' to do so. I'm not the biggest Larranaga fan myself but anyone who thinks that a program who has been to the tourney 3 of the last 4 years, 5 of the last 7, and has won a conference championship during that time also, is either an idiot or simply loves saying outlandish things to get attention.
Just wish we had a chance at some better recruits.

Holy, Having recruited Lonnie and Brown (both now in the NBA) and the kids this year, you can't say we don't have "a chance at some better recruits." Yes, we need more.

Advertisement
Anthony Mack is truly trash, he’s from my hometown and he couldn’t even dominate that high school league that had no talent. What got him any looks was fact he went to Blair academy one best prep schools and with the talent that was already there before him. They say he had all these top schools wanting him yet he chose Wyoming then to the U. Kids a scrub better off going Juco then some low level d-1 like sacred heart kids a bum good riddance

Anthony Mack is truly trash, he’s from my hometown and he couldn’t even dominate that high school league that had no talent. What got him any looks was fact he went to Blair academy one best prep schools and with the talent that was already there before him. They say he had all these top schools wanting him yet he chose Wyoming then to the U. Kids a scrub better off going Juco then some low level d-1 like sacred heart kids a bum good riddance

Interesting first post. Your point of view is a bit ambiguous though. What do you really think about Anthony Mack?

Interesting first post. Your point of view is a bit ambiguous though. What do you really think about Anthony Mack?

I’ve watched his game in high school I watched him at the U, he’s first off not ACC caliber player. Second he at best could play in maac, American east and nec that’s bout it. I’ve covered college hoops for ten years and have seen all types of talent he’s just not that kinda talent. With his size and everything he should be driving to the hoop or even pump faking and driving but he doesn’t. Have fun in juco

Advertisement
I’ve watched his game in high school I watched him at the U, he’s first off not ACC caliber player. Second he at best could play in maac, American east and nec that’s bout it. I’ve covered college hoops for ten years and have seen all types of talent he’s just not that kinda talent. With his size and everything he should be driving to the hoop or even pump faking and driving but he doesn’t. Have fun in juco

Who cares?

Re: Wilson. I'd think it would be hard to be much of a "knucklehead" at a little 1700 student Catholic college in Emmitsburg, MD, up near Camp David in the wilds of Maryland's Catoctin Mountains. My guess is he came to Miami so maybe he'd have the chance to do some knucklehead things. Much easier on South Beach than in the middle of nowhere.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back