Anthony Chickillo v. Jadaveon Clowney

Larry

All-American
The nation is all over Clowney's jock, and rightfully so...kid is a stud...but how has a far less heralded player around the country, Anthony Chickillo stack up?

Not too bad, if I do say so myself...

Anthony Chickillo

33 Tackles
5 Tackles for loss
3.5 Sacks
1 Fumble Recovered
1 Forced Fumble
1 QB Hurry

Jadaveon Clowney

27 Tackles
7 Tackles for loss
5 Sacks
4 FF/FR
5 QB Hurries

Last edited:
Advertisement
Definitely Freshman All-ACC, you think he could be Freshman AA?

I do.

I do also. As Larry noted, he's having a season comparable to Clowney's. He just doen't have that "WOW" freak factor that Clowney does, and he gets more "hustle" stats than "blow past your guy and drill the QB in the back" type plays, but he's still a helluva player to just be a true frosh.

Advertisement
I think guys like Ricardo Williams will eventually be nice complements to Chick. Chick doesn't strike me as a three and out player. He doesn't have that kind of explosion. By the time he's a senior, he should be built like a beast.

Hopefully, Williams will turn out like Mingo of LSU. Both came to college in the 190-195 range. Mingo is only 235 but explosive.

Clowney has 4 FF. Chick has been a solid contributor this year but hasn't been on the level of Clowney.

Advertisement
The difference between the 2 is Clowney's ceiling is infinitely higher than Chick's IMO. Clowney is also much more raw compared the Chick who's a pretty fundamentally sound prospect. Clowney is going to be an animal.

I've said since the first time I saw his film...Chickillo reminds me of Ryan Kerrigan. I dunno if that means his ceiling isn't higher than Clowney...Kerrigan was a first round pick lol. Both were five star players. I think both players just have different skill sets...both have All-American ability, and first round projections.

/btw - correct that Clowney has 4 FF...I looked at the SoCar website and for some reason, didn't notice. Good get.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Clowney has 4 FF. Chick has been a solid contributor this year but hasn't been on the level of Clowney.

Right. Clowney has atleast 4 FF. Makes you question the rest of the stats. Nonetheless, Clwoney is the more explosive, dynamic player out of the group. Looking at stats on a piece of papper doesn't tell how each play got their sacks.

I think it's fair to say that Chickillo has exceeded expectations through 9 games.

Advertisement
I really like Chick's hustle, grit and motor, but he's just not the kind of athletic monster that Clowney is. If we polled like 15 people on who'd they rather would have, at least 11 or 12 will pick JC.

Something about South Carolina defensive ends in recent years (Dunlap, Bowers, Sam Montgomery from LSU who has been a beast this year and Clowney) makes u wonder what the **** is in the water over there.

Im a homer but not this much its not even close he's doing that against sec talent sorry its not the same

# of players drafted in the NFL by conference in 2011

SEC - 38
ACC - 35

Difference in talent is minimal.[/QUOTE

Good stat. Gives credence to my thought that the ACC will be the conference to snap the SEC national champion streak. Both conferences recruit from the same talent pools, the SEC just has better coaches as a whole.

Im a homer but not this much its not even close he's doing that against sec talent sorry its not the same

# of players drafted in the NFL by conference in 2011

SEC - 38
ACC - 35

Difference in talent is minimal.[/QUOTE

Good stat. Gives credence to my thought that the ACC will be the conference to snap the SEC national champion streak. Both conferences recruit from the same talent pools, the SEC just has better coaches as a whole.

I would add better S&C programs as well.

Advertisement
Back