Another Story About Richt Being "Limited" At UGA

MIATL

Senior
... Those in the Atlanta area may be able co-sign this.

... I was listening to an Atlanta area sports-talk station yesterday, and they were interviewing Mike Bobo. The subject turned to Kirby Smart getting the UGA job, and what advice Bobo might give to Smart.

His response, and I paraphrase:

"Do it your way! There will be a lot of important/influential people who will want to give you advice about doing things the UGA way, but you shouldn't listen to those people if it's not what you believe is best."

Even the radio hosts mentioned that it seemed like Bobo was referencing Mark Richt's tenure at UGA, and that Bobo probably saw it up close and personal.

It will be interesting to see what version of Richt we have leading our program ... But the sentiment that Richt was "restrained" at UGA seems to be a recurring theme.

Definitely no "restraints" on him with us ...

Advertisement
His pre 2007 run at UGA was great (and any coincidence it was before McGrady became AD?)

McGrady is to UGA what Shalala was to us.

They are like the 7th richest school in that conference so don't understand the notion georgia is somehow set up to dominate the SEC year in and year out , my understanding was he paid some assistants out of his own pockets when they denied the staff raises .

Little does Bobo know that the AD wanted Richt to operate as a CEO type head coach and give control of the offense to an actual OC, instead of Richt calling plays. So he handed the reigns to Bobo..That's when it started going down hill for Richt according to a lot of friends I talk to that know UGA football more than me.

Unless Bobo is throwing himself under the bus, he must be oblivious to that.

Advertisement
They are like the 7th richest school in that conference so don't understand the notion georgia is somehow set up to dominate the SEC year in and year out , my understanding was he paid some assistants out of his own pockets when they denied the staff raises .

Atlanta is only behind SFL and maybe LA as the highest concentrated recruiting hotbeds in the country so of course fans expected them to do better. Sound familiar?

I live in Atlanta and listen to 92.9 the game so I know a lot about what went on at uga. Everyrhing itt is true so far. There's a reason 80% of uga fans wanted McGarrity gone instead of CMR.

Advertisement
No question that is correct. It is very easy to see for those that want to see. A lot of UGA fans place the blame on Richt but the AD's policies and the more strict marijuana rules were very difficult to deal with. Even Spurrier took shots about it. I hope Richt has the fire to prove McGarity was the real culprit.

Can someone elaborate? What does limited mean? As in not allowed to bring in players with bad grades or off-field issues? Or something else?

Hes more limited here in terms of recruiting, we will find out this time next years nsd. By the looks of it who know who signs with bruce abd byrd two big fish. If he loses them then wow disaster all over again.im rooting for his *** hope he cleans up he has to if we want to win, this was and is the only reason i wanted butch.

That didn't happen so mark get it done and lets whoops *** dog foreal. Im tired of beingouttalented byelite teams and outcoached by bumb squads.

Georgia's football program is among the most profitable in the SEC, and nation, dude, so not exactly sure what you are talking about. I think in like 2011 they profited the most money in the entire NCAA by making like over $50M of PROFIT just for their football program.

a few citations:
Most Profitable College Football Programs: #3 Georgia -
Forbes Welcome

Advertisement
Can someone elaborate? What does limited mean? As in not allowed to bring in players with bad grades or off-field issues? Or something else?

He didn't tolerate off the field issues. He's known for not putting up with off the field BS.

By limited they mean the systems he ran. He constantly wanted Georgia to become less Heavy-Run oriented, and to get with the times basically; But their AD felt otherwise and wanted him to stick to the ground and pound philosophy. So basically the offense he had to run wasn't what he wanted to do. He wanted to spread it out and air it out more. He also clearly wants to actually get back to coaching the QBs and calling plays, something i also imagine the AD didn't want him to do. they wanted him to be more of a figure head and a leader, rather than the actual coach.

Georgia's football program is among the most profitable in the SEC, and nation, dude, so not exactly sure what you are talking about. I think in like 2011 they profited the most money in the entire NCAA by making like over $50M of PROFIT just for their football program.

a few citations:
Most Profitable College Football Programs: #3 Georgia -
Forbes Welcome

You do realize that the facts your presenting are counterintuitive to your argument right? Just because you are profitable doesn't mean your investing properly into your football program.

Weren't the Clippers one of the most "profitable" teams in the NBA for years while having losing seasons for like 15 years straight?

I live in Atlanta and listen to 92.9 the game so I know a lot about what went on at uga. Everyrhing itt is true so far. There's a reason 80% of uga fans wanted McGarrity gone instead of CMR.

I live in Marietta and work in Atlanta, and Hugh Douglas responds to my text messages to the station!

Advertisement
One thing I believe about CMR is that he learns from his mistakes, will not allow administrative restrictions or be hindered by budgets that won't allow hiring quality assistants. They did a really good job of recruiting at Georgia, but now he's in the Mecca of CFB recruiting, whereas at Georgia he couldn't amass the skill talent on a regular bases to beat the gaters with all that Florida skill. Had Miami not been in the dumpster and without Florida skill players, I don't think Bama (Richardson, Cooper, Henry, Ridley) would have had as much success as they've enjoyed. Once the Big 3 and Miami in particular start keeping our talent home, Richt will be more successful than he was at Georgia and Bama will see some fall off at the play making positions. Our future is bright as ever and it's what the college football world (ESPN, SEC, FSU, FL) feared. Clemson is open about their need for Florida talent. They understand they cannot maintain a top competitive existence without Florida skill players. If we can dominate the State of Miami recruiting and grab a few OOS studs, then we will be back. Do the Dam Thing Coach Richt!

I'm excited to see Richt work with a legit QB and get back to spreading defenses out and attacking them like he did at FSU when he was a play caller.

The notion that Richt was restrained in how he ran the program at Georgia is ludicrous. Georgia came up short in some big games, Richt hired some assistant coaches who were poor fits, and Georgia missed out on some key recruits at QB, Oline, and Dline. Things had grown stale with Richt at Georgia and hopefully he is reinvigorated and getz Miami turned around.

The notion that Richt was restrained in how he ran the program at Georgia is ludicrous. Georgia came up short in some big games, Richt hired some assistant coaches who were poor fits, and Georgia missed out on some key recruits at QB, Oline, and Dline. Things had grown stale with Richt at Georgia and hopefully he is reinvigorated and getz Miami turned around.

What is ludicrous is your unsupported supposition that the writers and pundits who chronicled the UGA admin's micro-management of Richt post 2007, just made it all up or got it wrong. There is a significant body of journalism documenting how the admin told Richt to change his offense, stop calling plays, hire certain assistants, use an OC and the like.

What, you know better? LOLOL WTF do you know?

UGA never won the big one for lots of reasons, but to dismiss the idea that the Admin interfered with Richt just to suit your agenda is asinine. It happened, it mattered, and neither Richt nor his squad were never the same. Look at all the metrics, post 2007, they declined.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back