Another OT:SNL

Advertisement
Does anyone actually enjoy this show anymore? Just put on for first time in a long time and it’s awful. Only thing that kept me was JLo fine ***...
You say this is the first time you seen it in a long time. You’ve missed some good shows but SNL has always been hit and miss.

You say this is the first time you seen it in a long time. You’ve missed some good shows but SNL has always been hit and miss.

I think norm Macdonald was on last time I watched...my mother in law and brother in law love it. I gave it a shot. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Advertisement
Obviously, you're not up on current social justice silliness, daftness, and flippant terms and postures. Wake up, smell the irony.
Eh, that's not irony. Smells more like deflection and distraction from a question with an agenda busting answer.

But perhaps you can give me a refresher course on understanding this current social justice silliness you speak of and how any of it relates to SNLs cast? It all seems so arbitrary and exaggerated. Have any of them claimed to be of a different gender or race than what they are ?

Where shall I begin? Any resources you can recommend (I'm being serious)?

FOH! You haters clearly missed the Eddie Murphy ep. it was funny as ****. STFU if you don’t know comedy.

Advertisement
I watch the YouTube videos sometimes.

Don't know which year the skits are from, but there are some good ones.

Kate McKinnon and Kenan Thompson seem to be about the best at the moment.

Never as good as MadTV, for example, but it's okay at times.
Earlier SNL was as good as MadTV and I liked both. Miss Miss Swan....hilarious when she did phone *** woman.

No, Chevy Chase NEVER made fun of President Ford.....

Just more of the "don't poke fun at my guy" plague that infests the US
I think he did...made fun of him as a clumsy, accident-prone stumblebum. People forget Ford was an All-American center at Michigan.

Dan Ackroyd made fun of Jimmy Carter's hemorrhoids....open up a suitcase to show Roslyn a suitcase full of nothing but preparation H.

Another skit made fun of Dan Ackroyd as Nixon plotting his return and he suggested his new slogan to Pat: "The New ****--it's short, sweet and everybody wants to see it."

Pat, played by Jane Curtin, screwed up her face and said, "It may be short, sweet but nobody wants to see it."

For the late '70's and early '80's, stuff was innovative and cutting edge.

Last edited:
SNL has always poked fun at and satirized political figures. Too many people are triggered nowadays, and as @nystateofmind stated, the writing is generally poor.
The main problem isn't that it's political, but that it's polarized. Take southpark, for example. They sometimes joke about politics, but while they'll call Trump a giant douche, they also poke fun at how ridiculous transgender women competing with biological women is. SNL just makes liberal jokes and expects you to think they're all funny, and if you don't then you're in the wrong

Advertisement
1579484384264.gif

I think he did...made fun of him as a clumsy, accident-prone stumblebum. People forget Ford was an All-American center at Michigan.

Dan Ackroyd made fun of Jimmy Carter's hemorrhoids....open up a suitcase to show Roslyn a suitcase full of nothing but preparation H.

Another skit made fun of Dan Ackroyd as Nixon plotting his return and he suggested his new slogan to Pat: "The New ****--it's short, sweet and everybody wants to see it."

Pat, played by Jane Curtin, screwed up her face and said, "It may be short, sweet but nobody wants to see it."

For the late '70's and early '80's, stuff was innovative and cutting edge.
Yep. Ford was a good athlete.

Advertisement
SNL has always poked fun at and satirized political figures. Too many people are triggered nowadays, and as @nystateofmind stated, the writing is generally poor.
They were better at it years ago and it was much more "trash everyone" than it is today. I'm old. so I go back to those original players. Hard to beat those groups. Not much talent lately.

In my lifetime, I have never seen anything like this current crop of gaping, triggered snowflake Republicans, who incessantly whine about comedians making fun of their bumbling idols.

When I was a registered Republican in the 1980s and 1990s, we didn't give a **** about how any Republican was portrayed on a late night TV show, but most people who claim to be Republicans today can't go an hour without crying about the media, the deep state, the comedians, the professors, you name it. Meanwhile, since 2000, Republicans have won every presidential race but 2, Republicans have held the House and/or Senate at multiple points, Republicans have gerrymandered multiple states, but to hear them whine about it, they are fighting for their very survival against COMEDIANS and other "disrespectful" people who won't be "fair" to them.

People forget (or never knew) the history of Saturday Night Live ripping both sides of the aisle in political sketches, and they ignore the fact that SNL has used political humor FROM THE BEGINNING. Gerald Ford was not even an "impression", it was just Chevy Chase (with no makeup or prosthetics) making fun of Ford's multiple clumsy stumbles, like this one:

Why do people either ignore history or not bother to research it? Sure, Ford played football, but that didn't make him impervious to stumbling. SNL made fun of physical and verbal mistakes that Ford actually made. And let's not forget that SNL allowed President Ford's PRESS SECRETARY Ron Nessen host the show. And Gerald Ford did the "Live From New York" line on that episode. Imagine if SNL allowed James Carville TO HOST THE SHOW in the middle of a re-election campaign.

Let's not act like Republicans have been blocked from SNL either. Steve Forbes and Rudy Giuliani and John McCain have hosted, as has Trump DURING his time as a Republican activist.

As for the imitations, Dan Aykroyd's portrayal of Jimmy Carter was much more of an imitation than Chase's version of Gerald Ford, and was much more biting. While SNL got to make fun of Ford for all of 1 year, it was Aykroyd's imitation of Carter over 4 years that changed a lot of people's impressions of Carter's competence.

SNL never really had much impact on Ronald Reagan, and I'm not sure Reagan would have even cared. Dana Carvey's impression of George H.W. Bush was so beloved that President Bush himself invited Carvey to come to the White House in late 92/early 93 to do the impression to cheer up his staff after Bush lost to Clinton.

As for Clinton, both Phil Hartman and Darrell Hammond skewered him. One of the all-time funniest political sketches is where Hartman plays Clinton out jogging, and then he stops at a McDonald's for some junk food, telling his Secret Service protector that there are "a lot of things we are not going to tell Hillary" and that fast food is the least of their worries. Hartman was so energetic about parodying Clinton that in the part where he illustrates the Somalian warlords stealing food assistance by wolfing down everyone else's food, he actually chokes on the food.

SNL took it pretty easy on George W. Bush with Will Ferrell and Barack Obama with Fred Armisen/Jay Pharaoh. SNL has been pretty benign with Presidential candidates such as Bob Dole, Mitt Romney, and John Kerry. But SNL has also been rough on Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, Ross Perot, Sarah Palin, and Donald Trump.

Bottom line, it's such a pvssified cliche to listen to current-day Republicans whining about how late-night shows and comedians are sooooo unfair to their politicians. Ronald Reagan would laugh at all of the right-wing snowflakes in 2020.

Advertisement
Back