Another Mark Walton arrest video

What is being held accountable? Jail? No one heare believes someone who is butchering people should be free to walk the streets.

There is a difference between evil and mental illness, but they are not mutually exclusive. Evil people see the world as it is, they just have a messed up way of interpreting it and acting on that information. People that are really sick have a difficult time separating the world inside their head from the real world.

We shouldn’t assume that they are one in the same or deal with them the same way. Our lust for “accountability” is a big reason our system is so impotent now. We

Completely agree. It’s more than that though.

How do you admit to YOURSELF that you are not right in the head? How could you even recognize it when your cognitive functions are disrupted? Why is it left up to you when you have proven it can’t be?

All of that and what you said prior.

Started seeing this girl, she was wonderful, beautiful, and caring. It came with a hitch, she was somewhat up front about it, and I met her parents early. They tried to protect her, warn me off of what was to come, as I had no idea.

She eventually went off her meds. They don't want to take them. That euphoria, when they've gone in our minds, bat **** crazy, it's intoxicating. It made no sense to me, I still wonder what could've been done, but the day I tricked her into being caught up at the psych ward (with her families help as I had no clue how to deal with this) of a hospital I'll never forget. It was 5x worse than anything in the movie Girl Interrupted or any other insane asylum movie you'll see. The police were actually involved as she was a danger to herself, tried to run from them, etc. Man it sucked.

It was sad, I hope she has gotten it together, but schizophrenia is no joke. I don't know what his problem is, but his mental state does bounce all over the place. That's a mild case or just the beginnings of the downward spiral if that's what it is.

Also, like you said, they have absolutely no idea that they're acting erratic, being disruptive, and for lack of a better term, just flat out crazy. Lots of God / devil talk, imaginary cameras watching them, etc. That's the weird place their mind is in.

There's no money in it for people. Get them back on their feet and set them off into the world again. Most can't hold a job for long, are uninsured, etc.

That girl was awesome, but then there's the other side. It made me sympathetic and also sad that some people have that to deal with and in reality, they'll all eventually go off the tracks.

Advertisement
Yet people continue the pity parade.

No. The issue is you think that you're god, and want to decide what is the appropriate level of justice that should be administered against Walton, instead of allowing the legal process to unfold. Stop embarrassing yourself. You're not god. You don't get to decide what is the best recourse for Walton & society.

2 Questions:

1) Is it common practice for you diagnose someone with a Neurological condition having never met them, asked them any questions, run any tests on them, etc. - just based on a 10 minute video of them getting arrested after they had been drinking?

2) if the answer to #1 is Yes, then your posts make more sense to me, but do you at least see how someone might feel that's a bit problematic?

I'm trying to stay in the middle here - but you make it difficult when you say things like "You haven't given me any alternate explanations to explain his behavior". I clearly asked you before.....

All of these seem like plausible reasons for Walton's behavior:

Depression/Mental/Emotional Health issues
Immaturity/Anger Issues
Just being a bad drunk & an *******

I mean - I've been around tons of dudes who behave irrationally, aggressively, unpredictably when they're drunk. **** - I've been that dude some nights.

To which you responded - "You make a good point about mental health issues being another likely factor".

So I've given you a laundry list of other possible explanations - but all you see is the mental health angle. So while you say you're open to other explanations - I don't really think you are. Which is fine - just don't keep saying you are if you're not.
Let's keep things in perspective. I offered an opinion of a diagnosis in a free forum. This was not a formal evaluation and I didn't sign off on an assessment that could, for example, determine Mark's treatment. If this were a formal diagnosis, I would have sought out collateral documentation to corroborate my clinical impressions.

That said, I can and frequently do form a clinical impression after observing an individual for a brief period, even just 10 minutes. Furthermore, absent corroborating evidence, I have made formal diagnoses based solely on clinical impressions. In this case, my clinical impression remains that Mark is exhibiting signs and symptoms consistent with an underlying neurological condition (by the way, this is not the only video I have watched; there are several videos online that show Mark's bizarre, erratic, and violent behavior).

I'm having trouble keeping up with all the posts I'm responding to so you're right that I had forgotten you had actually suggested other possible explanations, although it's hardly a "laundry list." Whatever, let's examine them:

Depression/Mental/Emotional Health issues - these all fall under the category of psychiatric illness, which I've already stated could be contributing factors, if not primary causes.

Immaturity/Anger Issues - this is where things get nebulous. What do you mean by immaturity? How do you define it? How do you measure it? How would you determine if a person is mature vs. immature? As for anger - aggression, irritability, violent outbursts etc. are clinical symptoms or features of multiple neurological and psychiatric illnesses, e.g. PTSD, Alzheimer's diseases etc. Again, they are symptoms and not the cause of these conditions. So, I view Mark's anger and violence as a behavioral outcome of an underlying condition, not the cause itself.

Just being a bad drunk & an ******* - first, I would never refer to someone as a "bad drunk." What I would say is that that person has a severe alcohol-use disorder. As stated earlier, AUDs and other substance-use disorders are mental health issues, which I've already said may be possible explanations/diagnoses. As for him being an *******, how do you define being an *******? How do you measure it? How do you distinguish an ******* vs. a nice guy?

Behavioral health is an inexact science. The brain is an organ that is vastly different and significantly more complex than any other organ in our bodies. It affects behavior but also emotion, thought, speech, and perception. Making it even more complex is the fact that we don't have biomarkers to help determine diagnoses. The best we can do at this time (without opening up our skulls) is to examine clinical features. In an earlier post, I provided you with the clinical features as to how I arrived at CTE. I'm not sure what more I can do to support my position. I am also comfortable stating that I'm open to alternate explanations, but am still waiting for additional plausible explanations over and above those that are considered psychiatric illnesses/brain conditions, which I have already agreed are plausible.

How about this? My position is that in Mark's case what we're witnessing are symptoms of CTE. How about you rule-out CTE i.e. dispute the clinical criteria I provided and make a case for something else that would better explain his clinical presentation. If you are going to include your suggestions of immaturity and/or being an ******* then you need to explain those constructs. How are they defined? How would you measure them? How would they account for his overall clinical presentation? What are the criteria that will help a clinician to determine a mature person vs. immature person, or ******* vs. good guy?

Last reply to you wasting time typing since you

No. The issue is you think that you're god, and want to decide what is the appropriate level of justice that should be administered against Walton, instead of allowing the legal process to unfold. Stop embarrassing yourself. You're not god. You don't get to decide what is the best recourse for Walton & society.
Yea thats it, u figured it out. Your trying to hard Apex come mierda.

Advocating for the victims and trying to prevent further victimization is playing God. Lol dude is a repeat offender n the criminal justice system is failing society and Walton.

The story repeats itself over n over. There was just a guy in Baltimore that had been arrested and charged on 11 different occasions and I believe he killed a woman recently. The cj system failed that woman, her family, and yes even that offender.

.....My position is that in Mark's case what we're witnessing are symptoms of CTE. .....

This declaration cannot be justified based on the available information.

You're literally guessing one possibility out of many, without any corroborating data other than your observation, which is not trustworthy.

Why is not trustworthy? Based on the state of available scientific knowledge about diagnosing CTE, no reputable expert in this field can say what you’re saying based on you’ve seen.

Advertisement
For trying to save his life? Or keeping him from being arrested?

Mark was being very hostile and aggressive in that video. It could’ve cost him his life. His cousin probably felt something was about to happen if he didn’t try and intervene.

Let's keep things in perspective. I offered an opinion of a diagnosis in a free forum. This was not a formal evaluation and I didn't sign off on an assessment that could, for example, determine Mark's treatment. If this were a formal diagnosis, I would have sought out collateral documentation to corroborate my clinical impressions.

That said, I can and frequently do form a clinical impression after observing an individual for a brief period, even just 10 minutes. Furthermore, absent corroborating evidence, I have made formal diagnoses based solely on clinical impressions. In this case, my clinical impression remains that Mark is exhibiting signs and symptoms consistent with an underlying neurological condition (by the way, this is not the only video I have watched; there are several videos online that show Mark's bizarre, erratic, and violent behavior).

I'm having trouble keeping up with all the posts I'm responding to so you're right that I had forgotten you had actually suggested other possible explanations, although it's hardly a "laundry list." Whatever, let's examine them:

Depression/Mental/Emotional Health issues - these all fall under the category of psychiatric illness, which I've already stated could be contributing factors, if not primary causes.

Immaturity/Anger Issues - this is where things get nebulous. What do you mean by immaturity? How do you define it? How do you measure it? How would you determine if a person is mature vs. immature? As for anger - aggression, irritability, violent outbursts etc. are clinical symptoms or features of multiple neurological and psychiatric illnesses, e.g. PTSD, Alzheimer's diseases etc. Again, they are symptoms and not the cause of these conditions. So, I view Mark's anger and violence as a behavioral outcome of an underlying condition, not the cause itself.

Just being a bad drunk & an ******* - first, I would never refer to someone as a "bad drunk." What I would say is that that person has a severe alcohol-use disorder. As stated earlier, AUDs and other substance-use disorders are mental health issues, which I've already said may be possible explanations/diagnoses. As for him being an *******, how do you define being an *******? How do you measure it? How do you distinguish an ******* vs. a nice guy?

Behavioral health is an inexact science. The brain is an organ that is vastly different and significantly more complex than any other organ in our bodies. It affects behavior but also emotion, thought, speech, and perception. Making it even more complex is the fact that we don't have biomarkers to help determine diagnoses. The best we can do at this time (without opening up our skulls) is to examine clinical features. In an earlier post, I provided you with the clinical features as to how I arrived at CTE. I'm not sure what more I can do to support my position. I am also comfortable stating that I'm open to alternate explanations, but am still waiting for additional plausible explanations over and above those that are considered psychiatric illnesses/brain conditions, which I have already agreed are plausible.

How about this? My position is that in Mark's case what we're witnessing are symptoms of CTE. How about you rule-out CTE i.e. dispute the clinical criteria I provided and make a case for something else that would better explain his clinical presentation. If you are going to include your suggestions of immaturity and/or being an ******* then you need to explain those constructs. How are they defined? How would you measure them? How would they account for his overall clinical presentation? What are the criteria that will help a clinician to determine a mature person vs. immature person, or ******* vs. good guy?

C’mon man…..

Did you seriously just ask me to explain the constructs, definitions, measurements, and criteria to clinically determine the difference between a nice guy and an *******?

To determine if someone’s a nice guy or an *******, mature or immature – I just use logic and common sense.

You’ve laid out why you think Walton has CTE and/or other psychological issues. I appreciate that, don’t dispute anything you’ve said, and 100% agree that all are possibilities. Again – I’m not making a case for any explanation. I think any 22-23 year old male making immature/bad/dumb decisions or acting like an ***, especially after they’ve been drinking, sounds like a logical possibility for this type of behavior - and doesn’t necessarily mean they have some serious neurological/psychological disorder. No worries if you feel that’s not a possibility.

I will say this though…

When Walton used to pop up after a 5 yd 1st Quarter run vs FAMU stomping his feet, shaking his head, and beating his chest like he just scored the game winning TD vs Alabama in the National Championship – my reaction would range from “WTF is wrong with that dude?” to “Why is he acting like a badass – he does realize that was only a 5 yd run vs FAMU, right?” to “Why is that dude flopping around like an epileptic penguin?”

If I go back and look at those plays from your lens of Walton having “a serious and progressive brain disease” – then his on-field behavior makes MUCH more sense.

Mark was being very hostile and aggressive in that video. It could’ve cost him his life. His cousin probably felt something was about to happen if he didn’t try and intervene.

Something was definitely about to happen to his cousin

Advertisement
This declaration cannot be justified based on the available information.

You're literally guessing one possibility out of many, without any corroborating data other than your observation, which is not trustworthy.

Why is not trustworthy? Based on the state of available scientific knowledge about diagnosing CTE, no reputable expert in this field can say what you’re saying based on you’ve seen.
Which makes it perfect for any internet message board.

Advertisement
C’mon man…..

Did you seriously just ask me to explain the constructs, definitions, measurements, and criteria to clinically determine the difference between a nice guy and an *******?

To determine if someone’s a nice guy or an *******, mature or immature – I just use logic and common sense.

You’ve laid out why you think Walton has CTE and/or other psychological issues. I appreciate that, don’t dispute anything you’ve said, and 100% agree that all are possibilities. Again – I’m not making a case for any explanation. I think any 22-23 year old male making immature/bad/dumb decisions or acting like an ***, especially after they’ve been drinking, sounds like a logical possibility for this type of behavior - and doesn’t necessarily mean they have some serious neurological/psychological disorder. No worries if you feel that’s not a possibility.

I will say this though…

When Walton used to pop up after a 5 yd 1st Quarter run vs FAMU stomping his feet, shaking his head, and beating his chest like he just scored the game winning TD vs Alabama in the National Championship – my reaction would range from “WTF is wrong with that dude?” to “Why is he acting like a badass – he does realize that was only a 5 yd run vs FAMU, right?” to “Why is that dude flopping around like an epileptic penguin?”

If I go back and look at those plays from your lens of Walton having “a serious and progressive brain disease” – then his on-field behavior makes MUCH more sense.
[I had some personal matters to deal with and just now finding the time to reply]

Yes, I did seriously ask you to do that, but didn't seriously think that you would. Operationalizing psychological constructs is extremely difficult and I don't think people appreciate the complexity involved. Instead, you say that you used logic and common sense? Well, I say that I also used logic and common sense. See the problem with this?

However, I didn't JUST use logic and common sense. I used clinical intuition derived from years of experience treating people with brain diseases. I also used the clinical criteria that's been proposed to diagnose CTE in living people (yes, it's only proposed for now but it's a solid place to start).

This is a list of the clinical observations I made about Mark's presentation in that 10-min. video: cognitive impairment (confusion, memory issues), emotional dysregulation (irritability, violent outbursts), emotional lability (mood swings), perceptual abnormalities (paranoia, distorted reality), poor distress tolerance, impulsivity, impaired judgment.

Are you really suggesting that being immature or a **** includes someone having perceptual abnormalities, cognitive impairment, and poor distress tolerance? I doubt that you are.

You do make a good point about alcohol as a complicating factor. For many conditions in the DSM-5 you often see something like this: "the disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance" that, if met, would rule-out a particular diagnosis. However there are several videos of Mark demonstrating at least some of the clinical features I listed above, which suggests a consistent pattern of behavior.

Could he have been using in every video? Sure, that's a possibility, but then this suggests that he may have some type of substance-use disorder, which as you know is a psychiatric illness.

You seem like an intelligent, reasonable guy and I appreciate your willingness to offer alternative explanations; you have more balls than a lot of the ignorant, contrarian clowns on here. However, his clinical presentation simply cannot be accounted for or explained by being immature, spoiled, entitled, or a ****.

Last edited:
Behavioral analysis.

If you want my full breakdown, please subscribe to my substack. Use the promo code CISCTEDenier to get 15% off your first month.

new to discussion here, but behavioral analysis tells you nothing of what is going on the "inside". Technically, any behavior analysis involves analysis of possible environmental antecedents, the actual behavior, and consequences of that behavior.

There is still a myriad of mental health issues, or just established bad patterns of behavior from life experiences, that need to be sorted through to establish an accurate diagnosis. Then, of course you have some possible "organic" considerations, such as CTE but outside of autopsy (as has been mentioned) can't be well established.

Reverting back to a CTE diagnosis based on behavioral observations just seems tautological on your part at this point.

Advertisement
Studies suggest marijuana can protect and I believe reverse or something like that. It’s still preliminary..
THC is definitely helpful and can lessen some symptoms, such as irritability and mood swings. There's also promising research using psychedelic meds (ayahuasca I believe) as a palliative treatment.

However, I believe the neuroprotective effects of THC have only been found in mice and rat studies. THC may slow the rate of brain degeneration in humans with CTE but it's not going to reverse the existing damage.

THC is definitely helpful and can lessen some symptoms, such as irritability and mood swings. There's also promising research using psychedelic meds (ayahuasca I believe) as a palliative treatment.

However, I believe the neuroprotective effects of THC have only been found in mice and rat studies. THC may slow the rate of brain degeneration in humans with CTE but it's not going to reverse the existing damage.
There we go. That’s it

On a Lighter note, nice to see Desi and Lucy Arnaz's son, Babalu do a nice piece of policing asking him to "Splain" the situation.

My brother played football most of his life, I don't recognised him anymore. Head trauma is so real on football players. Total different person.

Advertisement
Back