Another blast from the past -- Miami vs LSU 1988...

Wasn’t this the game our players were teasing and provoking the real Tiger on the sidelines??

At the time LSU had a real tiger as it’s mascot, IIRC

Advertisement
It's interesting, Walsh told me during our conversation that the one issue he really had with Erickson's offense was he felt it left the QB's very vulnerable. But Walsh didn't have a great arm, but honestly, his football IQ was off the charts, Craig had better tools but I dont think UM wins the national title with him under center in 87

As for what Perriman told you, I cant believe it, but to be fair, how many guys ever had the arm talent of Vinny in that era?

I always wonder how the course of Jeff George's career would've changed if he would've came to UM after Purdue...
Brett was apparently comparing Craig’s arm to Steve Walsh’s arm. I think Vinny’s arm was in a class of its own. If you read a recent post of mine, it’s possible the strongest arm off the mid-80’s might have been the forgotten QB Greg Jones.

Brett was apparently comparing Craig’s arm to Steve Walsh’s arm. I think Vinny’s arm was in a class of its own. If you read a recent post of mine, it’s possible the strongest arm off the mid-80’s might have been the forgotten QB Greg Jones.
Testeverde's arm was NFL ready since his Soph yr....Absolute rifle...another QB who people forget when it comes to Strong arms was Scott Covington....Kid could throw a ball through a wall.....

another personal favorite of mine. Miami comes into Death Valley and plays one of LSU's best teams in the 80's(IIRC, they were the co-SEC champs, and this roster was littered with future NFL guys) and just absolutely blows them out, 44-3.

To me, this game is an example of why Steve Walsh and Gary Stevens were perhaps the best QB/OC combo we've ever had. They just seemed a step ahead of defenses in that era. And in a basic monsoon, they just systematically ran the system and produced yards and points. It looked so effortless and efficient.

Also, as this game got more out of hand, our guys got our dancing shoes on. We did all sorts of celebrations (including a group 'Bunny Hop' in the end zone after a Charles Pharms INT). Again, this era of Canes football was the purest and greatest form of 'sports and entertainment.' Nobody played football at this level in this era, and had more fun doing it.

This game also had a rarity -- because of the rain, Jimmy Johnson actually had a hair out of place. Enjoy:

The first half was great, the rain was pouring, the field was flooding, and JJ had the pedal to the floor.

The second half (and the rest of the night), I was in jail.

The first half was great, the rain was pouring, the field was flooding, and JJ had the pedal to the floor.

The second half (and the rest of the night), I was in jail.

OC have you ever gone back and watched this game again? Our guys are hilarious with all the dance routines they were doing, from the group 'bunny hop' in the endzone after Charles Pharms INT, to 'the Troop Dance' to some of their other choreographed stuff they did. Our guys were great that night in every way.

Roland Smith(who was just a young soph at the time) told me,"We were entertainers''

He did not lie

Advertisement
Wasn’t this the game our players were teasing and provoking the real Tiger on the sidelines??

At the time LSU had a real tiger as it’s mascot, IIRC

The story is that they basically surrounded his cage and taunted him, lol.

Now if Mike the Tiger gets loose, you would've seen our team speed all over

OC have you ever gone back and watched this game again? Our guys are hilarious with all the dance routines they were doing, from the group 'bunny hop' in the endzone after Charles Pharms INT, to 'the Troop Dance' to some of their other choreographed stuff they did. Our guys were great that night in every way.

Roland Smith(who was just a young soph at the time) told me,"We were entertainers''

He did not lie

Nope. The game was in 1988, and it was SEC vs. Independent. I'm not sure what network owns the rights to replay that game, but I've never seen it. Would love to see it, but I've never managed to do so.

Greg Jones!!! IIRC, ended up transferring to West Virginia and started there in 90

The story is that they basically surrounded his cage and taunted him, lol.

Now if Mike the Tiger gets loose, you would've seen our team speed all over

They might have done that pre-game, but as I recall, LSU had to evacuate Mike when the sideline corners started to flood.

Of course (as I have already admitted), if something else happened in the second half, I have no personal basis for that knowledge, as I was in handcuffs at another facility.

Advertisement
Nope. The game was in 1988, and it was SEC vs. Independent. I'm not sure what network owns the rights to replay that game, but I've never seen it. Would love to see it, but I've never managed to do so.

well my original post in this thread had the youtube link, but I guess that guy had his channel taken down. Buzzkill

1990 Cal was another game where our guys got buck wild and put on a show. Erickson took a TON of heat after that game lol

Advertisement
You have no idea how happy it makes me to see good ol' slump-shouldered Edgar Benes.

And the long(ish) sleeved Russell jersey...

And the WRs in 3-point stances...

And guys playing "Flanker" and "Fullback"...

And JJ with wet hair!

Dont forget our stripped socks!! And the towels tucked into jerseys...

Look what I just found...possibly sober...whoops, not Ed, but Jason.

1618446903398.png

Last edited:
And on this day that Miami was whipping LSU...

#19 Washington State beat Washington...and just a few months later, that Washington State coach would be Miami's coach...

Advertisement
We're up 30-3 with 5 minutes left in the game, and these LSU motherfvckers are high-fiving each other when they stop our second-stringers for no gain.

Advertisement
Back