And so it begins...

"The move, which follows a similar decision by the Patriot League, will affect several sports, including soccer and field hockey, but not football. "

For the record. Not that it won't eventually happen. Such is life.

I agree with you, but this is the first step.

First, it is a delay for some sports. Once a sport has been delayed once, it becomes easier to justify further delays if the Covid cases are getting worse, numerically, or if there are large numbers of athletes impacted.

Second, it then becomes easier to extend delays to other sports. What makes one sport "more susceptible" or "less susceptible", simply from a health standpoint.

I understand the dollars. I'm not discounting this. But people are overlooking how these "small steps" will likely lead to a broader approach.

Advertisement
THIS!

if the the NFL and NBA still plan on having their season, why can’t college football?

Pro athletes have been allowed to opt-out of their season re-starts.

Will college athletes be allowed to opt-out and still keep their scholarships?

Lots of questions to be resolved.

Imo we are going to play a nine game schedule this year. All cupcakes and nonconference games will be eliminated.

They will allow one extra game to maintain traditional rivalries.

And that’s about it.
They will allow one extra game to appease Notre Dame and allow them to have a season

Pro athletes have been allowed to opt-out of their season re-starts.

Will college athletes be allowed to opt-out and still keep their scholarships?

Lots of questions to be resolved.
I feel like the only way they'll make it palatable to the panicky public is to allow the players to opt out and remain on scholarship then have the ones not opting out sign a liability waiver. Of course, they'll try to keep the liability waiver as quiet as possible while shouting from the mountaintops how great they are for allowing the opt out/keep scholarship.

Advertisement
I feel like the only way they'll make it palatable to the panicky public is to allow the players to opt out and remain on scholarship then have the ones not opting out sign a liability waiver. Of course, they'll try to keep the liability waiver as quiet as possible while shouting from the mountaintops how great they are for allowing the opt out/keep scholarship.

Considering our ride can cost Up to triple what I’d does at other schools, if they waive the 85 to accommodate waiver kid it cost us a pretty penny.

A spring season would be fun as ****.

Would suck to wait but lets be real, it's not looking likely that fall is realistic. At least a full season anyways.

giphy - 2020-07-09T141558.529.gif

So Pitt is our first game at home, and then on the road on a Friday night at Wake...2 games in 6 days....

and then off for 13 days to play UNC at home

Advertisement
I’ve felt the plan was ultimately going to revolve around a 9-10 game conference schedule starting in October. Seems like things are moving in that direction.

Advertisement
Really sucks, but I'd be shocked if there's football at all this year, or anytime before a vaccine.

By eliminating these games and the patsies they have more time to isolate, quarantine, practice then get ready for a late starting season.

Football makes way to much money for these people. They’re going to do everything possible to make it happen.

It’s going to take a player to die for NCAA to cancel the season, and even that might not stop it.
Agree BUT it is very likely every major conference plays JUST conference games and even adds more games against each other. For example UM wont be playing MSU this season for sure as Big 10 already announced that so instead of playing them that week UM will either have a week off or play a team like Syracuse who wasn't on the schedule before hand for example. Major college football will happen but it is will **** weird.

Advertisement
Agree BUT it is very likely every major conference plays JUST conference games and even adds more games against each other. For example UM wont be playing MSU this season for sure as Big 10 already announced that so instead of playing them that week UM will either have a week off or play a team like Syracuse who wasn't on the schedule before hand for example. Major college football will happen but it is will **** weird.

i think you start in october and go conf only. allows for teams to be prepared as theyre going to end up shutting down and restarting their practices due to more positives rolling through the building.

Honest question; why would playing Syracuse be any safer than playing MSU and any other school? This is what I don't understand about the conference only approach. Unless they're going into bubbles, like the NBA or having host cities like the NHL, I don't see why a conference only approach is safer unless they're just reducing the games to the already scheduled conference games. Spring football seems the most likely scenario, if there's going to be a season at all, IMO. They need time more than anything, and it just isn't on their side at this point.

Considering our ride can cost Up to triple what I’d does at other schools, if they waive the 85 to accommodate waiver kid it cost us a pretty penny.
I don't see a waiver of 85. I'm sure 99% of college age kids will opt to play. Again, though, it's optics. If schools don't give the kids the option to opt out and remain on scholarship, then it looks like they're coercing them to play and makes the whole idea of a reasonable waiver of liability impossible. If you're forcing the kid to play or lose his scholarship, then it'll make it tough to uphold a liability waiver.

Still don't understand why they have to shorten the season and not just delay the start of the season. This rings of nonsense, which makes me think there's absolutely no real plan in place and that the season will not take place.

Advertisement
Back