Analyzing the backup QB battle

View as article
#3 or #23 what’s the difference….unless we have some catastrophic type things happen no one from #3 to #23 is ever gonna see the field.

Can’t remember too many times I’ve heard a player running around bragging about being #3.

Either Poff or Nickel are going to start next year and the other guy will be #2 so that leaves Emory or JB to still run around bragging about being #3.🤣……Doubt either one or neither are here after spring next year knowing they’ll never be anything more than a guy sending in signals here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
****roach GIF
This is a good avatar for you.

All I know is I've seen both EW and JB start here and neither looks to have what it takes to get us where we want to go. I don't have any skin in the game other than wanting to see the Canes win games so if they both left for greener pastures I wouldn't be upset. The season long starter needs to be better than what either of those guys can provide. If the best you can do is fight for third string after being here for a couple years I don't need you.

The idea that the staff is playing favorites to have Jacurri at 4th on the depth chart is nuts. It’s year 3 and he still isn’t clearly a P5 caliber starting QB.
By your comment and all the likes it got I’m convinced most people here don’t watch many college football games.

True freshman comes in and starts against two teams who have not just beaten us for years but have BEATEN us.

He beat Clemson with mistake free football and a sound defense. He can't have nerves, could he? At the end of the day, 115 rating as a result. True freshman who did not have much time to get ready but was solid enough to beat a team who again, has owned us.

On the ROAD at FSU, and another team who has owned us lately. True freshman starts, not very accurate along with some catchable balls that were dropped. Again, there has to be nerves. Played his heart out and things could have been different if he didn't get hurt laying out like he did. Anyone that played knows the momentum was shifting on that drive already. Again, very respectable rating of 127. And that's not even counting the bs calls with the no safety call, etc.

Anyone here that would have pulled him in either game?

He should have been allowed to start the previous 2 vs Virginia and NC State for more experience and comfort in the system. There is no practice he could have had that compares to starting as a true freshman against either Clem/ FSU. He deserved it after Clemson.

He was our best qb last season, with very little preparation compared to the norm. The coaches and ones in the know here have stated numerous times how good he has looked in practice when given snaps. He did what he had to do and beat Clemson and was on his way to possibly beating the scuminoles.

He is no longer a rook and there are no excuses. It was more than the coaches who thought he was looking good last season in limited practices. Glad to see him back but obviously love that we got Ward also. I expect big things this year. Still a firm believer that if GT game ends as it should have, season is different (even though another very questionable call). You can't lose games ever when the win should have been a bygone conclusion. How many 'take a knees' have there been that resulted in what we did? Will not even get into the D after that.

Advertisement
I’m a fan of EW. I know he’s no CW, but what he did in those few games is amazing for a young kid. He’s a real stud in my view, a warrior unfolding.

Man, it sure does feel good. Not only is this the first time in many, many years we have an elite true #1 at QB, but it’s also the first time in many years I feel very confident in our backup situation if, God forbid, something were to happen to Cam. I feel like we’re in a very good situation where we have guys who are more than capable to take over if injury deems it necessary, but not too good to the point where we have to worry about teams trying to tamper and poach them from us. It’s a fine line.

Advertisement
Cristobal has a history of not understanding QB position anyone with eyes and a brain knows Jacurri is the better QB period. Emory has no arm, he isn’t mobile. This is football 2023 you need a mobile QB. Jacurri has the big arm and is mobile and with a running game behind this line we would be unstoppable. Think Tebow. D$ I respect you to much, but stop spinning this bag of crap. Look how Lashlee changed our offense for King and TVD. It is the OC job to build the offense around the players not the opposite. So please don’t give us the system crap too. I know you are reporting but we need to have analysis not cheerleaders. 20 years of carrying the coaches spin is why we are in this position today.
I've always been a Jacurri fan. IMO, his challenge now is that he is playing in an offense that's not built around him. He's the only true runner in the room and it's an Air Raid, so there aren't a lot of designed runs.

Many of the renowned scientists throughout history believed in a God or Creator. The possibility of life to function let alone human life as we know it is beyond comprehension.

According to our current understanding of nature, we cannot create or extract energy out of nothing. At least not yet. More generally, it is impossible that something emerges from nothing.

This is an incorrect understanding of what “nothing” actually means. Gravity allows for both negative and positive energy, and given that the amount of matter and energy in the universe os a constant, you absolutely can get “something from nothing.” It’s a fundamental allowance of not only gravity but the first law of thermodynamics.

A

I’ll also chime in.

Jaccuri looks the part. He’s a physical specimen and you want to root for him, but his mechanics and accuracy are just not good. He’s a spectacular athlete but when his feet were not planted or off - the balls were either in the ground or too high. He couldn’t hit anything when he wasn’t set. He also is very raw compared to the other guys and I do think he’s gonna move on to a school whose offensive can more work within his strengths and limitations.

I wish Mario would get a true QB coach or QB analyst because I think it’s got to be very hard for Dawson to work on mechanics and offensive. All these guys could benefit from side work for personal improvement to take it to the next level.

Emory is what you see - he’s a cerebral guy and another good guy. As DMoney said he’s big - every bit 6’4 and not skinny in the lower half, but he’s not a guy that is running faster than a 5’0 flat as his peak. He also has some very interesting traits in how he throws the ball, specifically no laces which IMO I would change. He also tries to throw sometimes too quickly before his feet are set and it’s prob why he doesn’t use laces because he doesn’t have the arm whip and fast hips to generate speed on the ball like Cam or a guy who has a cannon arm / quick release. His arm is prob at the Dorsey strength side - he’s not gonna wow you like Cam who can sling and has a pretty quick release. He also could use a bit more footwork. All these guys really need to invest time in planting and getting set to throw. These guys aren’t Aaron Rodgers or Maholmes.

IMO I think Reese is a better passer than Emory and has more ability to make plays if things break down. I could be wrong but he has a bit of Baker Mayfield in him which I personally like.

I see a lot of QBs here in LA because of my son (12 soon to be 13) and who he trains with like Steele Pizzela, Kingston Tisdale (2 top 75 QBs for 2025) and others like Jalen Daniels (KU) and Justin Martin (UCLA), Finn Collins (retired ASU) and others and the big thing I always notice when you run around the pocket or even on drops if your feet aren’t set - most of these guys aren’t accurate and so they work a ton on footwork. Also if you aren’t the most athletic or have average arm talent you better make sure your fundamentals are good.
So, you're in LA. How are you making these comments about our QBs? Are you flying in for practices? Need some context here.

This is an incorrect understanding of what “nothing” actually means. Gravity allows for both negative and positive energy, and given that the amount of matter and energy in the universe os a constant, you absolutely can get “something from nothing.” It’s a fundamental allowance of not only gravity but the first law of thermodynamics.

A

A
Wait what? I thought the fir

A
Not sure what you’re implying?The laws of physics breakdown the closer you get to the creation of the universe. BBT doesn’t have the science to validate a creation of the universe, but an evolution of one as we can scientifically comprehend it currently.

Advertisement
Regardless of what people think, Mario’s comments are what the coaches think. It's very telling that Mario is putting his comments out there about the QBs. He's setting the fanbase's expectations that this is really a 2-man race for QB2 and he's telling you who's in the race.

A
It deflects from my more prominent position in the message, that science doesn’t/hasn’t negated the possibility of a creator and many significant contributors to mankind’s biggest scientific achievements believed in a God.

Think Tebow? LoL. Tebow may not have had an NFL arm but he was very accurate at the college level and one of the all-time greats, Gator or not.

You don't build an offense around Brown. He may be a good fit around read and ride or pure RPO offense, but there aren't a lot of P4 teams where he can become QB1.

There is a very good reason why we brought in Ward and Poff and are trying to sign the 25 kid out of Georgia.

I hope Brown continues to work and develop but if he wants to play my guess he leaves after the spring game.
Go and do what though?

WR? TE?

He is obviously incredibly athletic, just not a QB1

Advertisement
In todays episode from Flo he threw out some bold accusations.

He says that the media and coaching staff are basically doing some fishy stuff for Emory. He says that people who have been at practices say JB is the clear #3 QB but the staff keeps pushing an Emory narrative and that in practice emory has looked shaky and a lot worse than Jacurri.

He also slipped up and said "players have been saying" and said that he made a mistake and meant "people have been saying".

Some pretty bold accusations and if his slip up is correct than seems like the players are not very happy. He thinks its clear that this is the staff trying to push Jacurri to the portal by not giving him a fair shot
I follow his show. I have to say he keeps it 100% real. He doesn't have a favorite and just calls it as he sees it. His channel sponsors NIL for some of the players. I would think some of those players are feeding him information and their opinions.

So, what he's saying is at least what some of the players believe. It's a problem if some of your players don't believe the coaches are dealing fairly.

So, you're in LA. How are you making these comments about our QBs? Are you flying in for practices? Need some context here.
I was at our practice last week. I’m usually at a couple practices in spring and I travel to games. I’m from Miami and get home quite a bit. I also have friends inside Hecht / Schwartz and am very close with a BOT member. I went to UM just as an FYI for a masters and law degree.

But as to QBs my son plays tackle and is a QB. He has a couple of QB coaches who train the top kids out here in LA and I’m around that world a bit so I see a lot and I see a lot of the kids. My son’s been to IMG, Elite 11, Clarkson camps and stuff so you can good ideas and learn from watching.
As to our QBs I focus on that when I go to practices because it’s the one area I have a bit more knowledge on. Not a QB guru or anything but the stuff I see is pretty clear.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back