Analyzing the backup QB battle

View as article
Advertisement
Tell me you went to a public school without telling me you went to a public school. Nobody is spinning. And learn something about football. Stop the agenda and let it play out. You and the rest of the hoi polloi are so desperate to validate some odd nescience. It’s boring. Do I know if Emory wins the job? No, I don’t. He’s got a ways to go and it’s early. He has things to work on, for sure. But I will trust my own eyes and experience in evaluating where he is TODAY, over a bunch of chavs who really add nothing to anyone’s experience. That being said, if I had to bet, I would very much expect Poff to be no 2 and emory to redshirt.
May I suggest you also call him a peasant?

It's a CIS tradition.

@RVACane

Emory didn’t look like a P5 quarterback. It was just one game and he was tough as nails but the arm just ain’t there.

I would contest this. IMO he’s a P5 QB. I just don’t think he’s championship or even playoff caliber which is what Miami needs. That said, redshirt him and see what he’s capable of in 2025 when there will be an open competition for the starting spot.

Advertisement
Debate on who the 3rd string qb is?
unimpressed michael keaton GIF

I’ll also chime in.

Jaccuri looks the part. He’s a physical specimen and you want to root for him, but his mechanics and accuracy are just not good. He’s a spectacular athlete but when his feet were not planted or off - the balls were either in the ground or too high. He couldn’t hit anything when he wasn’t set. He also is very raw compared to the other guys and I do think he’s gonna move on to a school whose offensive can more work within his strengths and limitations.

I wish Mario would get a true QB coach or QB analyst because I think it’s got to be very hard for Dawson to work on mechanics and offensive. All these guys could benefit from side work for personal improvement to take it to the next level.

Emory is what you see - he’s a cerebral guy and another good guy. As DMoney said he’s big - every bit 6’4 and not skinny in the lower half, but he’s not a guy that is running faster than a 5’0 flat as his peak. He also has some very interesting traits in how he throws the ball, specifically no laces which IMO I would change. He also tries to throw sometimes too quickly before his feet are set and it’s prob why he doesn’t use laces because he doesn’t have the arm whip and fast hips to generate speed on the ball like Cam or a guy who has a cannon arm / quick release. His arm is prob at the Dorsey strength side - he’s not gonna wow you like Cam who can sling and has a pretty quick release. He also could use a bit more footwork. All these guys really need to invest time in planting and getting set to throw. These guys aren’t Aaron Rodgers or Maholmes.

IMO I think Reese is a better passer than Emory and has more ability to make plays if things break down. I could be wrong but he has a bit of Baker Mayfield in him which I personally like.

I see a lot of QBs here in LA because of my son (12 soon to be 13) and who he trains with like Steele Pizzela, Kingston Tisdale (2 top 75 QBs for 2025) and others like Jalen Daniels (KU) and Justin Martin (UCLA), Finn Collins (retired ASU) and others and the big thing I always notice when you run around the pocket or even on drops if your feet aren’t set - most of these guys aren’t accurate and so they work a ton on footwork. Also if you aren’t the most athletic or have average arm talent you better make sure your fundamentals are good.

Just my view, but I get the sense that Jacurri has to be in an offense that is reliant on stuff like the read-option and utilizes tempo, and will let him just run around a bit. I don't think he'll ever be a consistent passer in terms of the intermediate stuff which has to be your bread-and-butter in any pass system

This thread reminds me of the scene from airplane where the passenger is having an anxiety attack and there’s a line backed up waiting to smack her silly so she snaps out of it. Whoever is supporting JB better snap out of it or you won’t like what the back of the line is going to do to you.

Advertisement
Mutiple people who also watch practice say JB has looked better than Emory. I have said this before, but I heard from people who watched practice last year how Emory was better than JB. But when I was able to watch them play last year JB looked like the better qb. Fool me once, you know the rest........ JB is probably in the doghouse for that interview.
It’s obvious that they are pushing him out.
Unfortunate. It’s politics. No one can deny that no matter where or what profession if you run people wrong they’ll give you the boot. Unless you’re a superstar and even those guys are forced to look elsewhere in CFB at times.

Tell me you’re a pompous lawyer without telling me. I went to a private school called University of Miami ever hear of it.
Not taking sides. I don’t recall him being a lawyer. I won’t take the lawyer thing personally either lol. I do know that he went to an Ivy League school, where he played QB. He also coaches or used to coach QBs. He knows the position.

Just my view, but I get the sense that Jacurri has to be in an offense that is reliant on stuff like the read-option and utilizes tempo, and will let him just run around a bit. I don't think he'll ever be a consistent passer in terms of the intermediate stuff which has to be your bread-and-butter in any pass system

He would do well at Arkansas.

Advertisement
Cristobal has a history of not understanding QB position anyone with eyes and a brain knows Jacurri is the better QB period. Emory has no arm, he isn’t mobile. This is football 2023 you need a mobile QB. Jacurri has the big arm and is mobile and with a running game behind this line we would be unstoppable. Think Tebow. D$ I respect you to much, but stop spinning this bag of crap. Look how Lashlee changed our offense for King and TVD. It is the OC job to build the offense around the players not the opposite. So please don’t give us the system crap too. I know you are reporting but we need to have analysis not cheerleaders. 20 years of carrying the coaches spin is why we are in this position today.
Emory does have an arm. It doesn’t matter who throws harder if they aren’t accurate. Jacurri lost to rutgers. It doesn’t matter anyways bc Poff clearly seems to be next in line

Advertisement
For effs sake. We can go from a smooth QB room of Cam 24, Poff 25, Nickel 26 to potential chaos again? Poff already thinking of transferring out?
Nah , weird **** can happen in the NIL era . You never know. There could be an injury , a kid gets kicked off or transfers and somebody could come calling needing a starter.

The last time was ten years ago. We had Jake Heaps, Brad Kayaa, Gray Crow, Malik Rozier, and Ryan Williams.

If mario wants to push jacurri out im cool, but his comments in that interview saying poff and emory are on cam’s heels was clear pushing an agenda to the media and fanbase lol.

If poff and emory are playing better then im cool with pushing jacurri out but if this is just picking favorites then i dont like the optics of it but then again we talking 3rd n 4th string so it is what is, just hope its not a sign of other roster decisions

Advertisement
Back