Analyzing the backup QB battle

View as article
Advertisement
In todays episode from Flo he threw out some bold accusations.

He says that the media and coaching staff are basically doing some fishy stuff for Emory. He says that people who have been at practices say JB is the clear #3 QB but the staff keeps pushing an Emory narrative and that in practice emory has looked shaky and a lot worse than Jacurri.

He also slipped up and said "players have been saying" and said that he made a mistake and meant "people have been saying".

Some pretty bold accusations and if his slip up is correct than seems like the players are not very happy. He thinks its clear that this is the staff trying to push Jacurri to the portal by not giving him a fair shot

Practice is not a game, no one is rushing you, no one is tackling you. QB aren't scrambling. I’m sure Emory is more accurate throwing to nets and with no pass rush. Tebow wasn’t a great passer, Lamar Jackson is not Aaron Rodgers. Stop the spin!!
This.

I need to see it on tape, in game action, before i start to believe something different than what i saw with my eyes.

When you aren't being hit or have to worry about the internal clock, it's much easier to stand there and make throws or be accurate. I need to see it while being pressured before i can feel comfortable with our backup QB situation. I didn't see much last year that made me confident as a casual onlooker.

I don't think either one of them (JB & Em) are starting caliber QB's, that can be expected to lead this team to an ACC title or playoffs next year for 2025.

Ward & Poff are head & shoulders above the rest in terms of arm talent, skill & overall ability.

Jacurri simply doesn't have the accuracy & consistency needed to be trusted. He's a G5 QB & needs to be in places like Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Jax ST, ULL etc in order to really showcase his ability. Funny enough, he'd probably be really good at Toledo in Candle's Offense.

Emory's mechanics debilitate his velocity on the ball. And the continuous caveat about his accuracy when his feet are set is interesting. However, how often is he gonna have his feet set against pressure? When you're playing against a real opponent & not just practice against your own teams, it's not going to be a controlled environment where the Defense gives you the benefit of the doubt. DC's will see on film that his accuracy fluctuates when his feet aren't set & will make sure to send pressures from multiple angles with sole purpose of not allowing him to get his feet set & disrupt his rhythm. That's why it's so key for today's modern QB to be able to make multi-platform throws even off-balance, because Defenses aren't just going to sit back & wait until you get comfortable before they decided to collapse the pocket.

If you look at the QB's who are thriving in this era, it's mostly guys with exceptional arm talent who can make throws on the run with a quick trigger release.

For next season, Poff is likely the starter. While continuing to monitor the Portal in case any big time talent decides to jump in. But neither JB nor Emory are guys you bet the house on.

Last edited:
Advertisement

He says that the media and coaching staff are basically doing some fishy stuff for Emory. He says that people who have been at practices say JB is the clear #3 QB but the staff keeps pushing an Emory narrative and that in practice emory has looked shaky and a lot worse than Jacurri.

He also slipped up and said "players have been saying" and said that he made a mistake and meant "people have been saying".

Some pretty bold accusations and if his slip up is correct than seems like the players are not very happy. He thinks its clear that this is the staff trying to push Jacurri to the portal by not giving him a fair shot
Could be something, could be nothing. We don't know if Flo has an agenda but it certainly would make sense if the staff was more invested in Emory since Jacurri can be labeled a Manny recruit.

Jacurri isn't ever going to be the starting Qb here, period. He's a guy where if we needed a guy to come in and start one game cause the starter is injured, you're probably fine. He seems like a good dude too. But he's not the guy you go into the season wanting to start. At the end of the day he isn't accurate, and that's the #1 job of a QB - to throw the ball accurately to your players and make correct decisions. Also while he's looks very impressive physically, I have never actually seen him do anything crazy athletic that I can remember. So people acting like he's some superstar athlete, that could be a top WR if he switched, I just haven't seen that. I've been quite unimpressed with his running ability tbh. I mean if being able to be durable and take a hit is a positive he's got that. But actual ability to gain yards and make people miss or break tackles... haven't seen it.

It seems very obvious that the ideal scenario is this year Cam stays healthy, and the rest of the Qbs get a redshirt if they are able to. Not 100% sure what Poffs elligibility is like, but even if he can get a redshirt you do it. Jacurri should transfer out this spring.

2025 Poff is the guy, Emory is the backup. Judd is 3rd/4th team. Luke Nickel gets a redshirt even if he's 3rd string.

2026 it's an open competition if Emory has grown in 2 years he's probably the favorite, if not you likely are looking for a portal guy or hopefully even better is Nickel stepping up and being the guy for the next 2-3 years. Just cause Emory isn't the most pure talented doesn't mean much 2 years from now for the 2026 season imo. At qb you can win a lot of games with a guy that is just a solid athlete, is a high level competitor, and is just smart and good decision maker.

Again I posted this a week or two ago but:
I do think in college it's far easier to at least get a national championship baseline play/production out of a QB though. Like they need to be a good college Qb. But they don't really need to be an great talent in the eyes of the NFL and most fans. Tebow is a perfect example of this. That dude truly sucks as a Qb talent, but was elite in college. You also have Heupel, Leak, Dorsey, Mauck, McElroy, Barrett/cardale jones, all of whom who were UDFA/7th rounders. Weinke was 28 and was never very talented... Thats like 25% of the BCS/CFP National Championship winning Qbs lol. Were any of them what we'd call a great/elite QB on their own? You take them and put them on a team without the elite OL/Defense/WRs etc are they getting anywhere close to the same production? Are they carrying their teams even to a top 25 ranking? Not sure. But you take say any of the top say 35 Qbs in those seasons and place them on those teams, are they still winning?.. better odds than I'd give the qbs of doing that.

Advertisement
Coaches having favorites isn’t a new thing. They clearly love Emory and what he brings from an intangible standpoint. If you’d played at the D1 level in any sport, you will understand coaches and them having favorites. Emory seems like a great kid and has some leadership qualities but Mario has been hyping him since last year and he’s one of the most mid talent wise QB’s at the P4 level.

Practice is not a game, no one is rushing you, no one is tackling you. QB aren't scrambling. I’m sure Emory is more accurate throwing to nets and with no pass rush. Tebow wasn’t a great passer, Lamar Jackson is not Aaron Rodgers. Stop the spin!!

Tell me you went to a public school without telling me you went to a public school. Nobody is spinning. And learn something about football. Stop the agenda and let it play out. You and the rest of the hoi polloi are so desperate to validate some odd nescience. It’s boring. Do I know if Emory wins the job? No, I don’t. He’s got a ways to go and it’s early. He has things to work on, for sure. But I will trust my own eyes and experience in evaluating where he is TODAY, over a bunch of chavs who really add nothing to anyone’s experience. That being said, if I had to bet, I would very much expect Poff to be no 2 and emory to redshirt.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I heard similar to this on Caneville earlier this week

Advertisement
I don't think either one of them (JB & Em) are starting caliber QB's, that can be expected to lead this team to an ACC title or playoffs next year for 2025.

Ward & Poff are head & shoulders above the rest in terms of arm talent, skill & overall ability.

Jacurri simply doesn't have the accuracy & consistency needed to be trusted. He's a G5 QB & needs to be in places like Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Jax ST, ULL etc in order to really showcase his ability. Funny enough, he'd probably be really good at Toledo in Candle's Offense.

Emory's mechanics debilitate his velocity on the ball. And the continuous caveat about his accuracy when his feet are set is interesting. However, how often is he gonna have his feet set against pressure? When you're playing against a real opponent & not just practice against your own teams, it's not going to be a controlled environment where the Defense gives you the benefit of the doubt. DC's will see on film that his accuracy fluctuates when his feet aren't set & will make sure to send pressures from multiple angles with sole purpose of not allowing him to get his feet set & disrupt his rhythm. That's why it's so key for today's modern QB to be able to make multi-platform throws even off-balance, because Defenses aren't just going to sit back & wait until you get comfortable before they decided to collapse the pocket.

If you look at the QB's who are thriving in this era, it's mostly guys with exceptional arm talent who can make throws on the run with a quick trigger release.

For next season, Poff is likely the starter. While continuing to monitor the Portal in case any big time talent decides to jump in. But neither JB nor Emory are guys you bet the house on.
This

Jacurri isn't ever going to be the starting Qb here, period. He's a guy where if we needed a guy to come in and start one game cause the starter is injured, you're probably fine. He seems like a good dude too. But he's not the guy you go into the season wanting to start. At the end of the day he isn't accurate, and that's the #1 job of a QB - to throw the ball accurately to your players and make correct decisions. Also while he's looks very impressive physically, I have never actually seen him do anything crazy athletic that I can remember. So people acting like he's some superstar athlete, that could be a top WR if he switched, I just haven't seen that. I've been quite unimpressed with his running ability tbh. I mean if being able to be durable and take a hit is a positive he's got that. But actual ability to gain yards and make people miss or break tackles... haven't seen it.

It seems very obvious that the ideal scenario is this year Cam stays healthy, and the rest of the Qbs get a redshirt if they are able to. Not 100% sure what Poffs elligibility is like, but even if he can get a redshirt you do it. Jacurri should transfer out this spring.

2025 Poff is the guy, Emory is the backup. Judd is 3rd/4th team. Luke Nickel gets a redshirt even if he's 3rd string.

2026 it's an open competition if Emory has grown in 2 years he's probably the favorite, if not you likely are looking for a portal guy or hopefully even better is Nickel stepping up and being the guy for the next 2-3 years. Just cause Emory isn't the most pure talented doesn't mean much 2 years from now for the 2026 season imo. At qb you can win a lot of games with a guy that is just a solid athlete, is a high level competitor, and is just smart and good decision maker.

Again I posted this a week or two ago but:
Emory will never start here🤣. Neither do I think Jaccuri will either. I think our QB room is about to tick up

I’ve notice a shift in tone on JB last week or so.. seems like he might be gone.

I know some ppl shake their head at the thought.. but I would love to see him at WR… i think that’s his potential money position

Advertisement
Back