Analyzing the backup QB battle

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

Mario Cristobal had some interesting words on the QB battle when he spoke to reporters on Thursday. His full quote is below:

Both Emory [Williams] and Reese [Poffenbarger] have really done a good job of staying on the heels of Cam [Ward]. Cam is obviously taking the ones reps and he deserves it. He's earned that and then both Emory and Reese are right after that.

You see a lot of really good things from Jacurri [Brown] and Judd Anderson and the limited reps he gets. You see a guy that's gonna be...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm hearing that Emory hasn't looked good.
Be Quiet Season 2 GIF by Martin

Advertisement
That’s not what I’ve heard or seen. Cristobal’s quote is pretty telling.
Cristobal has a history of not understanding QB position anyone with eyes and a brain knows Jacurri is the better QB period. Emory has no arm, he isn’t mobile. This is football 2023 you need a mobile QB. Jacurri has the big arm and is mobile and with a running game behind this line we would be unstoppable. Think Tebow. D$ I respect you to much, but stop spinning this bag of crap. Look how Lashlee changed our offense for King and TVD. It is the OC job to build the offense around the players not the opposite. So please don’t give us the system crap too. I know you are reporting but we need to have analysis not cheerleaders. 20 years of carrying the coaches spin is why we are in this position today.

I’ll also chime in.

Jaccuri looks the part. He’s a physical specimen and you want to root for him, but his mechanics and accuracy are just not good. He’s a spectacular athlete but when his feet were not planted or off - the balls were either in the ground or too high. He couldn’t hit anything when he wasn’t set. He also is very raw compared to the other guys and I do think he’s gonna move on to a school whose offensive can more work within his strengths and limitations.

I wish Mario would get a true QB coach or QB analyst because I think it’s got to be very hard for Dawson to work on mechanics and offensive. All these guys could benefit from side work for personal improvement to take it to the next level.

Emory is what you see - he’s a cerebral guy and another good guy. As DMoney said he’s big - every bit 6’4 and not skinny in the lower half, but he’s not a guy that is running faster than a 5’0 flat as his peak. He also has some very interesting traits in how he throws the ball, specifically no laces which IMO I would change. He also tries to throw sometimes too quickly before his feet are set and it’s prob why he doesn’t use laces because he doesn’t have the arm whip and fast hips to generate speed on the ball like Cam or a guy who has a cannon arm / quick release. His arm is prob at the Dorsey strength side - he’s not gonna wow you like Cam who can sling and has a pretty quick release. He also could use a bit more footwork. All these guys really need to invest time in planting and getting set to throw. These guys aren’t Aaron Rodgers or Maholmes.

IMO I think Reese is a better passer than Emory and has more ability to make plays if things break down. I could be wrong but he has a bit of Baker Mayfield in him which I personally like.

I see a lot of QBs here in LA because of my son (12 soon to be 13) and who he trains with like Steele Pizzela, Kingston Tisdale (2 top 75 QBs for 2025) and others like Jalen Daniels (KU) and Justin Martin (UCLA), Finn Collins (retired ASU) and others and the big thing I always notice when you run around the pocket or even on drops if your feet aren’t set - most of these guys aren’t accurate and so they work a ton on footwork. Also if you aren’t the most athletic or have average arm talent you better make sure your fundamentals are good.

Mutiple people who also watch practice say JB has looked better than Emory. I have said this before, but I heard from people who watched practice last year how Emory was better than JB. But when I was able to watch them play last year JB looked like the better qb. Fool me once, you know the rest........ JB is probably in the doghouse for that interview.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’ll also chime in.

Jaccuri looks the part. He’s a physical specimen and you want to root for him, but his mechanics and accuracy are just not good. He’s a spectacular athlete but when his feet were not planted or off - the balls were either in the ground or too high. He couldn’t hit anything when he wasn’t set. He also is very raw compared to the other guys and I do think he’s gonna move on to a school whose offensive can more work within his strengths and limitations.

I wish Mario would get a true QB coach or QB analyst because I think it’s got to be very hard for Dawson to work on mechanics and offensive. All these guys could benefit from side work for personal improvement to take it to the next level.

Emory is what you see - he’s a cerebral guy and another good guy. As DMoney said he’s big - every bit 6’4 and not skinny in the lower half, but he’s not a guy that is running faster than a 5’0 flat as his peak. He also has some very interesting traits in how he throws the ball, specifically no laces which IMO I would change. He also tries to throw sometimes too quickly before his feet are set and it’s prob why he doesn’t use laces because he doesn’t have the arm whip and fast hips to generate speed on the ball like Cam or a guy who has a cannon arm / quick release. His arm is prob at the Dorsey strength side - he’s not gonna wow you like Cam who can sling and has a pretty quick release. He also could use a bit more footwork. All these guys really need to invest time in planting and getting set to throw. These guys aren’t Aaron Rodgers or Maholmes.

IMO I think Reese is a better passer than Emory and has more ability to make plays if things break down. I could be wrong but he has a bit of Baker Mayfield in him which I personally like.

I see a lot of QBs here in LA because of my son (12 soon to be 13) and who he trains with like Steele Pizzela, Kingston Tisdale (2 top 75 QBs for 2025) and others like Jalen Daniels (KU) and Justin Martin (UCLA), Finn Collins (retired ASU) and others and the big thing I always notice when you run around the pocket or even on drops if your feet aren’t set - most of these guys aren’t accurate and so they work a ton on footwork. Also if you aren’t the most athletic or have average arm talent you better make sure your fundamentals

you're hearing wrong. D$ and I both were at practice this week for a full session, and Emory is looking very good. He's got a nice ceiling and coaches are very bullish on him. anybody telling you otherwise is not giving you accurate info.
Practice is not a game, no one is rushing you, no one is tackling you. QB aren't scrambling. I’m sure Emory is more accurate throwing to nets and with no pass rush. Tebow wasn’t a great passer, Lamar Jackson is not Aaron Rodgers. Stop the spin!!

Cristobal has a history of not understanding QB position anyone with eyes and a brain knows Jacurri is the better QB period. Emory has no arm, he isn’t mobile. This is football 2023 you need a mobile QB. Jacurri has the big arm and is mobile and with a running game behind this line we would be unstoppable. Think Tebow. D$ I respect you to much, but stop spinning this bag of crap. Look how Lashlee changed our offense for King and TVD. It is the OC job to build the offense around the players not the opposite. So please don’t give us the system crap too. I know you are reporting but we need to have analysis not cheerleaders. 20 years of carrying the coaches spin is why we are in this position today.
I remember 2 years ago when we had the best QB room in the country. We are potentially 2 weeks from all 3 transferring.

Advertisement
Back