NFL Amazon gets EXCLUSIVE rights to NFL Thursday Night Football

Advertisement
All we need is more big tech inclusion in our lives. I hate this deal.
Eventually you will be paying for all significant content. At least there will be an incredible amount of competition and pricing pressure.

But it's also why the quality of content has increased exponentially over the last decade or so.

I can’t wait for the live ads during these games that link the viewer directly to the promoted product’s Amazon page that already has you CC# stored so you can literally buy the commercial product directly from the ad placement on a PIP

Do y’all know how many potato peelers I would have?

I can’t wait for the live ads during these games that link the viewer directly to the promoted product’s Amazon page that already has you CC# stored so you can literally buy the commercial product directly from the ad placement on a PIP

Do y’all know how many potato peelers I would have?
It will be like QVC or HSN with the game taking up 3/4 of the screen and products you can buy like the shirts worn by staff on the side with a crawl across the bottom for featured deals. Just say "I want that shirt" to Alexa.

Advertisement
There has been a rumor of an Apple Television for the better part of a decade already. It's like... the oldest slightly still possible tech rumor there is. Way older than the Apple Car.

The TV industry is maybe the best example of commodification there is across "tech." It's a cut-throat blood sport where price is 90% of the game. Hard to generate the margins Apple is accustomed to.

There are better ways to skin this cat besides spending billions of dollars on a ****** company with slim margins.
Until Apple owns the content, they aren't making waves in TV. The content owners still hold the cards.

I cant wait for Amazon to shame me multiple times at every commercial break.. West coast tech companies taking over distribution of live football is going to suck..

Until Apple owns the content, they aren't making waves in TV. The content owners still hold the cards.

Agree. However they've plowed into content guns blazing, and they are starting to gain both critical and audience attention, not to mention awards heat, with a few key tentpole shows and acquisitions. I know I am certainly not canceling, just for Ted Lasso alone. You can't go from zero to market leader in a day, but they are spending a reported $6B on content annually, and working with a ton of industry A-listers. Take a look at what first looks they have in place. It's a quality play. They have a 1.5B device installed base. And a services business that is estimated to bring in a potential $100B alone by 2024/25. The content is there to support and enhance that effort, among other purposes.

They are just getting started, and they have the deep pockets to outbid everyone, even DIS, which after an extraordinary stock run (sold my calls too early!!), is still only worth about 1/6th of AAPL as I type this. And DIS has other content budget obligations (theatre, ESPN, etc).

I wouldn't bet against them, personally. In fact, I've bet on them, for most of my adult life.

Advertisement

Apple is trying to own content, and they do have some, but it’s not like Disney+, or Netflix. Apple TV+ does have original content, and the quality is decent, but there is not a ton of it. There might be a play for Apple to get access to a lot of content through some cross licensing deals or outright purchase of somebody, whoever that may be. Some expensive speculation here

Hopefully this will be streaming in 4K

There is quite a bit of stuff streaming in 4K, Amazon prime has a decent library of 4K streaming, so they’re already doing. The question is, and I don’t know the answer, or sporting events being film/recorded in 4K? I don’t think taking 1080 P native resolution and upscaling it to 4K gives you really any significant difference ... this is in reference to sporting events

There is quite a bit of stuff streaming in 4K, Amazon prime has a decent library of 4K streaming, so they’re already doing. The question is, and I don’t know the answer, or sporting events being film/recorded in 4K? I don’t think taking 1080 P native resolution and upscaling it to 4K gives you really any significant difference ... this is in reference to sporting events
I've watched some college football via the fox sports app that was upscaled 1080p to 4K. It looked pretty good.

I've watched some college football via the fox sports app that was upscaled 1080p to 4K. It looked pretty good.

I’d have to see it, I’d really be interested in seeing that. I’ve watched some 4K movies and they look better, but it wasn’t like the jump from when we want to standard TV to either 720 P or 1080 P

Advertisement
Just seems like the used to want it so that it was easier for people to watch and they wanted to bring in more viewers to their sport. Maybe that isn't working any longer so they figure they will find a way to get more money off of the people still watching.

I like all watching all sports but I no longer go looking for where any EPL soccer is since they reduced a lot of options and moved it to Peacock. No thanks.

I am against anything becoming "too big" so that is where I sit with Amazon.

Advertisement
While Amazon, Apple, et al battle for content (just vehicles), Musk is simply owning every aspect of the highway...you can obviously make $Bs doing both... but...

Commercial and Residential solar (to power the devices that make and run content), Space X (to put Starlink up as new truly global digital pipes), and Tesla (NOT a car play, but really a device to capture your eyeballs and brain that also happens to take you places).

Besos (who runs a preminent "everyday" highway but will have to fight Alibaba soon enough) is a distant second (and falling further behind) with Blue Origin. He hasn't lost the race yet (and that is just space lift), but won't have his first launch win for sometime...

Direct TV might want to prepare thy ****. The nfl is working on their own streaming service after the current deal expires. If that’s the case direct tv becomes dish next , the expensive version.

I think ATT is trying to or sold DTV off. At like 1/3 or so of what they paid for it just a few years ago. Fail.

I think ATT is trying to or sold DTV off. At like 1/3 or so of what they paid for it just a few years ago. Fail.
They [AT&T] apparently can't even find someone they will pay to take DirecTV off their books.

Ouch👇

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back