NFL Amazon gets EXCLUSIVE rights to NFL Thursday Night Football

Yes, thank goodness I or other "really smart guys" weren't around to try to talk Steve Jobs out of sticking a streaming stick inside of a TV. Or from buying... Toshiba. :ibis-roflmao-sm3: Oh my, where would the world be today if I had tackled Steve Jobs on the way into that "merger meeting":zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:with TOSHIBA (that never happened)??? Do you even know anything about them and their problems? Toshiba, lol. You went there. If you did, you'd be laughing at yourself the way I am laughing at you. Anyway, we'd never have had... oh wait, Apple decided not to make TV's. Ever. They've even got back and forth on monitors for desktops. Barely interested. For all the reasons I stated and more. Because duh. But please, more incredibly innovative ideas. Keep them coming.

It's also adorable that you think Apple makes "desktop computers, laptops, telephones, tablets, headphones, and watches." Wrong. Apple makes desktop computers, laptops, handheld computers that oh, also have a telephone app (which apple is fighting tooth and nail to make obsolete btw) among other thousands of applications, slightly bigger tablet sized handheld computers that have thousands of apps, headphones (that have absurd margins, btw) that you plug into those iPhones and iPads, and computers that you wear on your wrist, that oh, like nearly every other device they make, can also tell you what time it is. You really think the iPhone is a... phone? Or that the Apple Watch is a watch? Man, I need to get on the other side of your trades.

They are an innovation, marketing and silicon company, that also creates software to make their universe more sticky to consumers. And thank god for the last 15 years in my portfolio, AAPL doesn't "burn" money. They strategically deploy it very carefully. Which is why outside of the incredibly high margin Beats headphones (which helped them with tech for the also incredibly high margin EarPods), which was as much an acquisition of personnel, patents and engineering as anything, and only cost $3B anyway, and Intel's modem biz (just $1B) which was another patent and engineering grab, Apple doesn't throw around or "burn" money to overpay for someone else's tech. They focus on R&D and while they make small acquisitions often in order to make their products better, they've always resisted the urge to make large purchases on companies with many parts that might not suit them. So no brah... no Toshiba or TVs lol.

The innovation will be in software and content. VR, interactive, content you can stream across all devices... not being bogged down with your Toshiba Apple vacuum cleaner idea lol. I've made plenty of bets in the space, too.

But hey, its funny to watch "really smart guys" act like they know something, underestimate the room and stick their foot in it. Good night.

Look, you are the worst kind of person to go on chat boards. You are a perverse combination of ignorant and arrogant. You remind me of this dork that lived on my hall in Eaton. He was, for no justified reason, an arrogant person who thought he knew more than everyone else. He was also fat, ugly, unfunny, and uncoordinated. We tortured that guy for fun.

But now guys like you and him have your (limited) revenge. You can sit at home, in anonymity, and snipe at people over the Interwebz. You are Comic Book Guy without the hot wife.

As is typical, you are one of those guys who, 4 years after a recruiting cycle, will tell us about all the guys Miami "should have signed". I laugh at your touting of Apple's acquisition of Beats, which you are NOW acting as if it was a "very careful" expenditure of money. Yet, at the time of the acquisition, EVERY analyst said that Apple spent way too much, and I'm sure you did too.

I laugh at your desperate attempts to mischaracterize what I said. I said that Apple and Amazon have money to burn, but I did not say that they would burn money by acquiring a TV manufacturer. Quite the opposite. As I cited with numerous examples, Apple has gone into areas where it SEEMED LIKE the hardware was a mere commodity, and they have elevated the "commodity" with innovation, apps, marketing, and a price premium. A prime example is the watch market. Sure, maybe people would pay a price premium for a Rolex that lasts for a lifetime, but who would have predicted that people would pay hundreds of dollars for what would be, essentially, a disposable watch that you replace with better tech every few years?

You're like Gary "Techno Beaver" Dell'Abate, calling the iPad "a bit of a miss". You have no imagination and can only compare new products to things that are already in existence.

But, sure, continue to mock my post. I don't care. It is clear by everything that Apple is doing that they believe TVs are something they should be involved in, and they are waiting (as they always seem to do) to jump in at the point when they can deliver an amazing product. NOT the "first" product, but the finest product. At a price premium, of course.

I remember in the 1990s, when "smart people" were saying that Apple should turn its computers into commodities that could compete with Gateway and Dell.

I remember in the 2000s, when "smart people" were saying that the iPhone was overpriced, boxy, too big, and a relatively duplicated product compared to the immensely successful iPod.

I remember in the 2010s when "smart people" were saying that the iPad was a "bit of a miss", that ApplePay would not work, that watches would not sell, that Beats by Dre were overpriced, and that Apple shouldn't get into providing content.

But, hey, you keep telling me how Apple's focus will be on "software". As they keep churning out HARDWARE like phones, watches, pads, computers, streaming devices, and headphones. And, soon, TVs.

Apple and Amazon have figured out how to keep offering more and more and more, while gobbling up market share, even in areas that SEEMED commodotized and unable to produce high profit margins. Mock the selling of "vacuum cleaners" while Amazon makes billions from selling vacuum cleaners. You're the nerdy dipsh!te from Palmetto for whom Jeff Bezos won't return your calls.

Dude, Cryptical Envelopment is getting a Dell!

1616155116108.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Apple has nearly $200 billion in cash just burning a hole in their pocket right now. They can get into sports content any time they want and it will be a drop in the bucket for them. I do think they have some great content on their streaming service (if you can, watch Ted Lasso), but it still isn't enough as of now. I've had it for over a year and haven't had to pay anything for it. I think many others are the same way, and will be canceling once their free trial runs out. They probably could've done well with the NFL despite having no sports experience, but Amazon already had the inside track. It isn't like Prime is something that a lot of people already pay for, so I think all the complaining about the Thursday night games being locked behind a paywall will subside. Maybe a few more people than normal will sail the high seas.

So who gives a shlt?

Well maybe a few people do that follow business in general, either for investment reasons or just because the sports broadcasting market is of interest to us (obviously is a huge part of college football), the ACC ESPN/SEC etc. etc.

What is of particular interest here, is that according to reports Amazon Prime Video is an exclusive partner for Thursday Night Football. CNBC says “It’s the first time a streaming service will carry a full package of games exclusively”

So it’s a first for a streaming service.

Amazon paid a measly $1 billion for the rights, and I say that in all seriousness. $1 billion is nothing to Amazon if the ROI on this is what I think it could be for them, as a result ofgreater acceptance of their streaming service to the general public. A few share points in this market are worth a lot of money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/18/nfl-media-rights-deal-2023-2033-amazon-gets-exclusive-thursday-night.html?__source=google|editorspicks|&par=google

With respect to college football, how soon before there is an exclusive deal or some form of deal of games for an evening game every week, or a bundled conference packages maybe, with one of the streaming services. Exclusivity are no exclusivity.

Just interested in some ideas as to what anyone thinks might be coming next
Unfortunately This will probably happen a lot sooner than we think. CATV is rapidly becoming a dying industry, and a good reason was their poor customer service. My fear with every network going to streaming we may well end up paying as much or even more to receive the same content.

Advertisement
Unfortunately This will probably happen a lot sooner than we think. CATV is rapidly becoming a dying industry, and a good reason was their poor customer service. My fear with every network going to streaming we may well end up paying as much or even more to receive the same content.
This. It's always been my fear of the cloud. I'm worried that once ISPs figure out they have you, the price for access to your content is gonna go way up. It seems like we'll be trading one over priced provider for another who may have an even greater monopoly than the one we fought with growing up. The more things change, the more they stay the same?

Absolute truth. That is why I think there is a push to providing more "stuff" (content on Apple, merch on Amazon), so that as the price increases, we either feel powerless to cut the "cord" or those companies can claim justification for the price increases. Or both.

Think about it another way...what "value" do the cable companies currently add? Almost nothing, and we simply don't need the technology of coaxial, cheap, crappy cable boxes, and cheap, crappy company-provided DVRs and modems and routers any longer.

At least with the money we pay to Apple/Amazon, we seem to be getting a few other things in the mix.

You're not as smart as you think you are.

Your arrogance and condescension are only exceeded by you lack of awareness of your own intellect. And also exhibit a lack of good faith in wanting to have a reasonable discussion.

Repetition of rote first paragraph phrases commonly summarized by junior Apple analyst assistants at any firm, do not an erudite observer make.

1. I was drunk on tequila and didn't have my glasses. Some poor wring in their for sure. Mea culpa. I stand by everything I wrote. He made it personal. I gave it back.

2. I thought you were "done with me" and were going to avoid me at all costs? Or are you just trying to instigate to tear down the board again? Rinse and repeat. You could not be more transparent and uninteresting if you tried. Now run and cry to the mods again.

1. I was drunk on tequila and didn't have my glasses. Some poor wring in their for sure. Mea culpa. I stand by everything I wrote. He made it personal. I gave it back.

2. I thought you were "done with me" and were going to avoid me at all costs? Or are you just trying to instigate to tear down the board again? Rinse and repeat. You could not be more transparent and uninteresting if you tried. Now run and cry to the mods again.

So let's get this straight...

THIS:

"But, hey, it's always funny to watch "really smart guys" trying to be skeptical of the ideas of others, as they try to nitpick the direction of the future by focusing on the present and recent past. Thank goodness you never had the ear of Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, otherwise you would have tried to convince them of the stupidity of all their great ideas."

is what you consider to be a "personal" attack that led to your drunken rant?

Hilarious.

If true, you might be the biggest hair-trigger pvssy on this board.

Advertisement
Look, you are the worst kind of person to go on chat boards. You are a perverse combination of ignorant and arrogant. You remind me of this dork that lived on my hall in Eaton. He was, for no justified reason, an arrogant person who thought he knew more than everyone else. He was also fat, ugly, unfunny, and uncoordinated. We tortured that guy for fun.

But now guys like you and him have your (limited) revenge. You can sit at home, in anonymity, and snipe at people over the Interwebz. You are Comic Book Guy without the hot wife.

As is typical, you are one of those guys who, 4 years after a recruiting cycle, will tell us about all the guys Miami "should have signed". I laugh at your touting of Apple's acquisition of Beats, which you are NOW acting as if it was a "very careful" expenditure of money. Yet, at the time of the acquisition, EVERY analyst said that Apple spent way too much, and I'm sure you did too.

I laugh at your desperate attempts to mischaracterize what I said. I said that Apple and Amazon have money to burn, but I did not say that they would burn money by acquiring a TV manufacturer. Quite the opposite. As I cited with numerous examples, Apple has gone into areas where it SEEMED LIKE the hardware was a mere commodity, and they have elevated the "commodity" with innovation, apps, marketing, and a price premium. A prime example is the watch market. Sure, maybe people would pay a price premium for a Rolex that lasts for a lifetime, but who would have predicted that people would pay hundreds of dollars for what would be, essentially, a disposable watch that you replace with better tech every few years?

You're like Gary "Techno Beaver" Dell'Abate, calling the iPad "a bit of a miss". You have no imagination and can only compare new products to things that are already in existence.

But, sure, continue to mock my post. I don't care. It is clear by everything that Apple is doing that they believe TVs are something they should be involved in, and they are waiting (as they always seem to do) to jump in at the point when they can deliver an amazing product. NOT the "first" product, but the finest product. At a price premium, of course.

I remember in the 1990s, when "smart people" were saying that Apple should turn its computers into commodities that could compete with Gateway and Dell.

I remember in the 2000s, when "smart people" were saying that the iPhone was overpriced, boxy, too big, and a relatively duplicated product compared to the immensely successful iPod.

I remember in the 2010s when "smart people" were saying that the iPad was a "bit of a miss", that ApplePay would not work, that watches would not sell, that Beats by Dre were overpriced, and that Apple shouldn't get into providing content.

But, hey, you keep telling me how Apple's focus will be on "software". As they keep churning out HARDWARE like phones, watches, pads, computers, streaming devices, and headphones. And, soon, TVs.

Apple and Amazon have figured out how to keep offering more and more and more, while gobbling up market share, even in areas that SEEMED commodotized and unable to produce high profit margins. Mock the selling of "vacuum cleaners" while Amazon makes billions from selling vacuum cleaners. You're the nerdy dipsh!te from Palmetto for whom Jeff Bezos won't return your calls.

Dude, Cryptical Envelopment is getting a Dell!

View attachment 144715

So much to unpack... lol. I will just take the best bits and give you a pass on most if it out of sympathy.

FYI, I am not fat, uncoordinated, or unfunny. I am however, not one to suffer fools. It offends me. Actually a lean former athlete with two bad knees now. Ouch. But if you need to manufacture falsehoods to make it easier for you, go for it. I am barely on the "interwebz" or message boards which is what you really mean. You literally have around 10x the # of posts on here that I do. But yeah, lol. Keep swinging and missing.

I've never been into comic books, and I have a scorchingly hot wife lol. If you need some further validation or insight into my success, you are welcome to join us in the stock thread at any time. You can ask the many Canes in there who I've made money for. I've even had to turn down offers for me to manage people's money. I'll make you some money too if you like. But money surely isn't everything. Even with my lack of personal info over there, you will see quite clearly that I am a serious person. But I don't think you're looking for truths, right?

And you stepped in it again. All the analysts were wrong about Beats, and I was actually very gung ho. For a number of reasons, primarily because I really trust Tim Cook, and have gone against AAPL analysts over and over. I actually **** on analysts for a living. Hacks. Which is why I added to my AAPL then again. I actually never sold a share of AAPL (which is hard for me lol) until my re-pricing theory was validated this past year. And as you will read if you join us. You keep talking about "people" as if I am one of them. You make assumptions about people that suit your argument, vs. addressing what I offer in writing. That's a sign of weakness, or at least laziness. It's surely intellectually dishonest. And of course, you're wildly wrong. I've been an AAPL fan boy for 15 years. I just actually understand management and how the company operates and thinks, and what the long-term market ramifications are for them when it comes to margin. Whereas you want them to "merge" (LOL) with Toshiba. What in the holy ****? Dig in!!! It's hard to really put into words how ridiculous your position is. But we know, you're never wrong. No matter what. Dig in, homie. You're also putting words in my mouth, and twisting what I wrote. Which is another sign of intellectual weakness. I said AAPL isn't a hardware company? Huh?

Also, I've literally never owned a non-AAPL PC. Not even as a teen. OS X for life. And now I am a nerd who went to Palmetto High School? Huh? Think a little more worldly, please. You're like a guy who bats .087 and cries that the coach plays favorites when he benches you. You know nothing about me, by my design. But its fun to watch!

And Amazon vacuum cleaners, huh? You must be in the wrong thread. Or having an aneurysm. Good luck homie. I think you really need it.

So much to unpack... lol. I will just take the best bits and give you a pass on most if it out of sympathy.

FYI, I am not fat, uncoordinated, or unfunny. I am however, not one to suffer fools. It offends me. Actually a lean former athlete with two bad knees now. Ouch. But if you need to manufacture falsehoods to make it easier for you, go for it. I am barely on the "interwebz" or message boards which is what you really mean. You literally have around 10x the # of posts on here that I do. But yeah, lol. Keep swinging and missing.

I've never been into comic books, and I have a scorchingly hot wife lol. If you need some further validation or insight into my success, you are welcome to join us in the stock thread at any time. You can ask the many Canes in there who I've made money for. I've even had to turn down offers for me to manage people's money. I'll make you some money too if you like. But money surely isn't everything. Even with my lack of personal info over there, you will see quite clearly that I am a serious person. But I don't think you're looking for truths, right?

And you stepped in it again. All the analysts were wrong about Beats, and I was actually very gung ho. For a number of reasons, primarily because I really trust Tim Cook, and have gone against AAPL analysts over and over. I actually **** on analysts for a living. Hacks. Which is why I added to my AAPL then again. I actually never sold a share of AAPL (which is hard for me lol) until my re-pricing theory was validated this past year. And as you will read if you join us. You keep talking about "people" as if I am one of them. You make assumptions about people that suit your argument, vs. addressing what I offer in writing. That's a sign of weakness, or at least laziness. It's surely intellectually dishonest. And of course, you're wildly wrong. I've been an AAPL fan boy for 15 years. I just actually understand management and how the company operates and thinks, and what the long-term market ramifications are for them when it comes to margin. Whereas you want them to "merge" (LOL) with Toshiba. What in the holy ****? Dig in!!! It's hard to really put into words how ridiculous your position is. But we know, you're never wrong. No matter what. Dig in, homie. You're also putting words in my mouth, and twisting what I wrote. Which is another sign of intellectual weakness. I said AAPL isn't a hardware company? Huh?

Also, I've literally never owned a non-AAPL PC. Not even as a teen. OS X for life. And now I am a nerd who went to Palmetto High School? Huh? Think a little more worldly, please. You're like a guy who bats .087 and cries that the coach plays favorites when he benches you. You know nothing about me, by my design. But its fun to watch!

And Amazon vacuum cleaners, huh? You must be in the wrong thread. Or having an aneurysm. Good luck homie. I think you really need it.

Still drunk, I see.

Advertisement

Run to the mods? Of what do you speak, attention-seeker?

I think we all end up streaming every bit of content at some point. The question is how long? I don’t have the answer, but if I had to guess I would say cable type services would be less than 10% of the market 10 years from now. Just a guess

Advertisement
What was Buy n Large from Wall-E? I saw that movie once a few years ago with kids, and I don’t remember that part
It was the giant corporation that polluted the planet and made the population fat and lazy through excessive consumerism.

It was also an attempt to get this back on track, before things get out of hand because some people may not be able to afford that.

Advertisement
Back