Amarius Mims Elite 2021 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Jermaine Johnson's success as a transfer from UGA has any part of his interest in FSU? Like Johnson he would be the "big fish" and certainly stand out. I could see Norvell and Atkins selling that... Not sure how much , if any, overlap they had at UGA
I would imagine it helps. I think it’s good for a transfer to see that a team has taken a vet in and let them play regardless of who’s been on the team longer. But Miami has the same success with Jaelan last year going first round. And he was a much bigger project than coming in and playing 1 year. Plus Rambo/KJ/Roche and others.

Advertisement
The entire defensive line of Georgia may be drafted ahead of Jermaine Johnson or he'll be drafted right in the middle of that UGA DL run...the "success" of that transfer to FSU seems overblown, considering its likely Johnson is drafted in roughly the same spot with or without the transfer, IMO.

Also, we put a R1 EDGE transfer into the league very recently, too.
Only player from that d line that for sure will go ahead of him is Trevon Walker. Jordan Davis could but it’s not likely. Johnson has a great chance to be selected in the top half of the 1st round

Nah. Bryant McKinnie didn’t go in the first round because of Martin Bibla or Ken Dorsey or Clinton Portis. It was because he flat out dominated the kid in front of him on every snap. Tackle is a position where you can easily put enough on tape to Go as high as you want to regardless of what others are doing.

McKinnie's signature game is when he absolutely dominated and shut down 1st round pick Dwight Freeney

I would imagine it helps. I think it’s good for a transfer to see that a team has taken a vet in and let them play regardless of who’s been on the team longer. But Miami has the same success with Jaelan last year going first round. And he was a much bigger project than coming in and playing 1 year. Plus Rambo/KJ/Roche and others.
Exactly.

Advertisement
my prediction that this thread is going to hit 100 pages is looking good! please CIS keep going so i can win some money

I was there. It was glorious.
Funny thing if you remember (easier to see this on TV) was that UM helped McKinney for the 1-2 series by chipping Freeney with a running back. After the 1st quarter when the UM coaches saw the McKinney had this by himself, it was all 1-on-1 and the rest is history.

Advertisement
It doesn't matter. More importantly for him, he was a project coming out of HS. If he's smart, he should want to go somewhere that he'll be coached the best, which should put Miami in the driver's seat. Jermaine Johnson already had a few years of elite coaching under his belt, he was just stuck behind kids who were even better than he was, so he decided to leave. Mims is stuck behind kids who are better than he is in a similar fashion, but he's nowhere near the "plug and play" prospect that Johnson was. He needs to be coached.

That being said, were he to continue to develop, and reach his potential (big "if" under Atkins), he could and would absolutely stand out at FSU regardless of the guard next to him and Jordan Travis, etc. Does it help to play surrounded by a bunch of All-America's? Sure. But it really doesn't matter if you're truly a first-round talent.

And running out of time? He's 1 year out of HS. He can't even go to the NFL until the 2024 draft, at the earliest. He's got 2 years to put whatever he's going to put on tape. Jermaine Johnson was running out of time, I'm pretty sure last season at FSU was his 5th out of HS.

Lastly, the "****** OL" argument is a year or two expired. FSU certainly doesn't have a great OL, but those years of being the worst in the country are in the past. They actually had #'s 1 and 2 in YPC last year in the ACC (believe it or not, I was shocked when I noticed it at the end of the season), and their offense actually averaged more yards per play than ours did. Travis is a ****** thrower and their receivers are overall trash, but they ran the ball pretty successfully last year and the OL was much more competent than it's been in years past. There are several reasons why Miami would be a better choice than FSU for Mims, but the "not standing out" or players around him argument isn't really one of those.

Teams will let you run 6 ypc when your getting crushed on the scoreboard. Everyone knew the could just keep the noles in front of them.

Newbergs latest. Not really an update lol, just sharing anyway.

We’re into the third day of the Amarius Mims portal watch. Mims hasn’t taken any trips yet, but things are about to heat up.

Gabby Urrutia of our InsideTheU site reported last night that Mims is expected to be in Coral Gables on Thursday for a multi-day visit. Big news for the ‘Canes who have thought to be the front runner, along with FSU, since Mims hit the portal over the weekend.

Here’s what I’ll say — over the next 24-48 hours things are going to get interesting. Sources I talk to are confident FSU will get an official visit from Mims before his decision is made. I reported that on Monday and still believe that to be true. I’m told that Mims is also expected to visit Miami. The exact days these visits take place could change, but I expect some clarity on all this in the next day or so.

Miami and FSU are the only two teams expecting visits as of right now, but as I said yesterday Ohio State and Texas are also actively communicating with him as well. And today I learned Oregon is also involved. From what I’m hearing though, this recruitment could come to an end within the next week, so I don’t know if these outside programs will be able to get into the mix with FSU and Miami.

I’m expecting things to really heat up over the next couple days. I’ll keep you guys updated as news develops.

We’re into the third day of the Amarius Mims portal watch. Mims hasn’t taken any trips yet, but things are about to heat up.

Gabby Urrutia of our InsideTheU site reported last night that Mims is expected to be in Coral Gables on Thursday for a multi-day visit. Big news for the ‘Canes who have thought to be the front runner, along with FSU, since Mims hit the portal over the weekend.

Here’s what I’ll say — over the next 24-48 hours things are going to get interesting. Sources I talk to are confident FSU will get an official visit from Mims before his decision is made. I reported that on Monday and still believe that to be true. I’m told that Mims is also expected to visit Miami. The exact days these visits take place could change, but I expect some clarity on all this in the next day or so.

Miami and FSU are the only two teams expecting visits as of right now, but as I said yesterday Ohio State and Texas are also actively communicating with him as well. And today I learned Oregon is also involved. From what I’m hearing though, this recruitment could come to an end within the next week, so I don’t know if these outside programs will be able to get into the mix with FSU and Miami.

I’m expecting things to really heat up over the next couple days. I’ll keep you guys updated as news develops.
Wait, he's still not on FSU campus?

The news in that post is that Miami is definitely getting a visit and FSU MIGHT get a visit.

Advertisement

absolutely nothing new from newberg. they want FSU to be in this so badly.

Advertisement

He’s scared. Also Oregon could be an interesting development with Lanning. But I feel like we’d have to blow the OV for that matter.

That’s gold. Visits starting in one day and I expect clarity on where he visits in a day or two. Yikes that was a tough read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back