Amari Carter

supercane954

Recruit
Curious to know what you guys think his contributions will be this year? I don’t know where he fits in this defense with the amount of talent we have coming in.

Advertisement
Wish he would have moved to weakside linebacker like 2 offseason ago but he should be a solid #3 safety. Need him to play close to the line of scrimmage

Definitely needs to be with the linebacker or striker group. He’s a liability on the back end but he’s “experienced” so he’ll play and start at safety 🙄

Advertisement
We faced five of the top 20 passing offenses in the P5 in 2019.

We won three out of those 5 games...and both losses were early in the season when our new secondary was learning on the job. We held those other three to an average of 75 yards below their season average. That's almost a third of their passing output per game eliminated by our defense.

Our defense finished ranked 12th in passing yards per game allowed, 22nd in passing yards per attempt and tied for 7th in passing TDs allowed.

Carter played the most minutes at safety behind Hall.

Carter is fine right where he is.

Last edited:
Had some lengthy back and forths with a few on here before last season. Amari is what he is as a Safety.

The margin of error is very small. For instance, he lined up incorrectly on the hash in the UF game. UF's slot beat Frierson off the line. Because of the misalignment, Carter couldn't get over the top of the play and a ridiculously long pass play connected (and changed the game). It's just one example, but when you have certain limitations, the margin of error is small.

People can continue to argue all they want about Amari as a Safety, but in space, he's shown more troubles than successes. This defensive coordinator should be clearer on that and put him in spots where he does well. Like blitz packages and other subpackages.

To be 100% clear, again, anyone saying he should be a Striker has a misunderstanding of what we ask the Striker to do. You don't put a kid who struggles in space in a position required to cover a ton of space and head up some inside/quick WRs.

Advertisement
Werent they gonna change the targeting rule some? I'd love to see Carter at Striker, but as a Safety he's a pretty solid enforcer. Hoping he has a great SR season... and honestly the whole 2ndary needs to tighten up in coverage, not just Amari.

They should change the name/title of Striker to something that doesn't fit Carter so well. He's our best hitter so everyone thinks he should be the "striker" in our defense.

Advertisement
As a senior, he will definitely play regardless if he's a starter or not. I hate that we rotate players in the back end but we always do it. At the very least this kid will be a leader and should be a special teams ace.

Adams and Suero saying he's looking more agile out there in practice. He needs to be if he's staying at safety. I hope they're right. But I agree with others that he'd make a better Will.

Adams and Suero peddle in sunshine pumping.

Advertisement
Dudes a tweener. Obviously not a deep safety, can’t seem to cover well enough to play in the slot, probably too light in the *** for the Pink role. He’s a sub-package guy ideally, second best blitzing safety on the roster after Hall. Might be interesting to experiment with him as the Mike in the NASCAR package? I’m just spit balling, someone like Lu or Macho can tell me to shove this nonsense up my *** if I’m wrong.

Definitely needs to be with the linebacker or striker group. He’s a liability on the back end but he’s “experienced” so he’ll play and start at safety 🙄
Back in the day, he would have been moved toward the LOS. Better a faster LB than little slow safety. Move speed up was always the way at Miami. We had smaller LBs and more NC trophies.

Advertisement
Back