Amari Carter

Advertisement
Had some lengthy back and forths with a few on here before last season. Amari is what he is as a Safety.

The margin of error is very small. For instance, he lined up incorrectly on the hash in the UF game. UF's slot beat Frierson off the line. Because of the misalignment, Carter couldn't get over the top of the play and a ridiculously long pass play connected (and changed the game). It's just one example, but when you have certain limitations, the margin of error is small.

People can continue to argue all they want about Amari as a Safety, but in space, he's shown more troubles than successes. This defensive coordinator should be clearer on that and put him in spots where he does well. Like blitz packages and other subpackages.

To be 100% clear, again, anyone saying he should be a Striker has a misunderstanding of what we ask the Striker to do. You don't put a kid who struggles in space in a position required to cover a ton of space and head up some inside/quick WRs.

Well said...& the coaching at that position isn’t all that great to begin with

We faced five of the top 20 passing offenses in the P5 in 2019.

We won three out of those 5 games...and both losses were early in the season when our new secondary was learning on the job. We held those other three to an average of 75 yards below their season average. That's almost a third of their passing output per game eliminated by our defense.

Our defense finished ranked 12th in passing yards per game allowed, 22nd in passing yards per attempt and tied for 7th in passing TDs allowed.

Carter played the most minutes at safety behind Hall.

Carter is fine right where he is.

While this is super compelling, I'm not sure I agree your logic is all the way there. I think you look at passing yards/points given up when he's on the field vs. Bolden.

Not trying to knock Carter, but he is often more of a liability. Dude does not wrap up when he has a chance to take a big hit. And while I love him as an enforcer, it more often than not seems to lead to a big gain.

Advertisement
Had some lengthy back and forths with a few on here before last season. Amari is what he is as a Safety.

The margin of error is very small. For instance, he lined up incorrectly on the hash in the UF game. UF's slot beat Frierson off the line. Because of the misalignment, Carter couldn't get over the top of the play and a ridiculously long pass play connected (and changed the game). It's just one example, but when you have certain limitations, the margin of error is small.

People can continue to argue all they want about Amari as a Safety, but in space, he's shown more troubles than successes. This defensive coordinator should be clearer on that and put him in spots where he does well. Like blitz packages and other subpackages.

To be 100% clear, again, anyone saying he should be a Striker has a misunderstanding of what we ask the Striker to do. You don't put a kid who struggles in space in a position required to cover a ton of space and head up some inside/quick WRs.

Interesting thing, about this to me, is it's yet another example of new shiny object syndrome this fanbase has about the guy who is not starting the position. Frierson started off a little slow but was really coming on late, and I like him WAY better at STK than Carter.

He'll be a solid backup to Bolden and Hall and get some burn in blitz packages.

People are a little too obsessed with Carter because of his hitting ability. Yeah, I wanna see him decapitate people too, but 1) he's a targeting liability and 2) he's a coverage liability.

Definitely needs to be with the linebacker or striker group. He’s a liability on the back end but he’s “experienced” so he’ll play and start at safety 🙄
Banda will start him, he'll play like **** for 10 games, he'll then have 1 good game, and then Banda will talk **** to the fans on social media like he made the right call all along........

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back