Amari Carter now 100% Crystal Ball to Notre Dame...Hugh??

This seems like a down year for prospects overall. The only two safeties I see with star potential that UM is after is ***an and Delpit. Wright will probably be solid but I dont think he going to be great by any means. The rest of the safeties we are after including Carter could be starters but there is nothing special about any of them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This seems like a down year for prospects overall. The only two safeties I see with star potential that UM is after is ***an and Delpit. Wright will probably be solid but I dont think he going to be great by any means. The rest of the safeties we are after including Carter could be starters but there is nothing special about any of them.

Well I think they all get passed up when the 2018 class gets hers . 2017 safeties might be looking what's coming behind them in 2018

Well I think they all get passed up when the 2018 class gets hers . 2017 safeties might be looking what's coming behind them in 2018

Totally agree, thats why it might be best to go after a JUCO guy to start at safety and cb while bridging the gap to that 18 class

Advertisement
One of the dirty secrets of recruiting is the Elite programs are handing off bags of cash to get these kids, either to family or High School coaches, but the fact is money is exchanging hands for these recruits.
And I think some of the trepidation with our new staff is that they're new on the scene & they're not doing what FSU, Bama, ND, Michigan, Oh State & Clemson are all doing, so there's more hesitation to commit.

So there's trepidation because Richt isn't handing out money? Are people nervous that he's too honorable?

One of the dirty secrets of recruiting is the Elite programs are handing off bags of cash to get these kids, either to family or High School coaches, but the fact is money is exchanging hands for these recruits.
And I think some of the trepidation with our new staff is that they're new on the scene & they're not doing what FSU, Bama, ND, Michigan, Oh State & Clemson are all doing, so there's more hesitation to commit.

So there's trepidation because Richt isn't handing out money? Are people nervous that he's too honorable?

Precisely... It's like the scene in Training Day when they dug up Sandman's kitchen, found the buried money & Jake Hoyt didn't want to take any off the top. "Cops don't trust other cops who don't take money.."

***an (FSU), Wright (FSU), and Carter (currently committed) are three of our four top safety targets, right?

Don't care about crystal balls, but it'd be pretty brutal not to land any of them.

I hate to say it but haven't we seen this movie already? Play on the field and score on the board better be different this year. Mark needs to beat FSU to send his message that a new sheriff is in town, or we will see banners before the end of year 3 -- just saying. I cannot wait for the season because I think Mark beat Jimbo with Brad at QB and deline coach with a thirst for qb blood. None of the other stuff is exciting me. Other than Kool, coaching hires were pedestrian; we have another really good guy at HC (grant a better coach), we are looking for "high character" recruits, our top prospects are committing elsewhere ..... Trying to ignore everything until FSU game.

Coach Diaz & Coach Dugans were stellar pickups for our program. Diaz has put a ton of kids in the NFL on Defense from Miss State & Midd Tennessee St (which is far more difficult to do) & Coach Dugans is one of, if not our best recruiter we have on staff.
Coach Rumph's impact on recruiting will be felt more so in the #Storm18 class than in his first year.
The problem isn't the staff, the problem is the stench is still left over from the Folden regime & we haven't put a winning team on the field in a long time.
Also, I think Richt is doing business different by not doing business... One of the dirty secrets of recruiting is the Elite programs are handing off bags of cash to get these kids, either to family or High School coaches, but the fact is money is exchanging hands for these recruits.

Diaz got canned at UT soon to be followed by his HC. Last year at Mississippi State was hardly impressive. Hardly an exciting hire. Dugans needs to prove he can recruit with Clint the bag man -- we'll see. Mark will be made or broken on the field. Even Al got enough talent to have won if he was any sort of coach at all.

Advertisement
I think he ends up at ND also. His former teammate is a freshman there. I think we get Juwan Burgess & keep Gibson.

I think we get Derrick Smith from Jville as well.

How good is he? Nice size for sure
He is really good IMO. Great speed, size, can catch..he played a lot of wR last year as well as S. He has an amazing spring game. Very athletic. He is a bit raw though and will need good coaching physical tools are there though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

When you mention the 2018 safeties, I assume you are referring to Freirson and Jobe. Are there any other safeties of note in SoFla for the 2018 class? Do we have a shot with Tyreke Johnson?

Advertisement

When you mention the 2018 safeties, I assume you are referring to Freirson and Jobe. Are there any other safeties of note in SoFla for the 2018 class? Do we have a shot with Tyreke Johnson?

David Reece from Fort Pierce, Nadab Joseph (but he's committed to LSU) & Tray Hampton from Pahokee.
Also, Jamarceon Jackson from Louisiana is very solid S, he's not rated yet, but will definitely pick up steam as the season progresses.
Isheem Young from Philly as well... The Safety's for 2018 aren't that deep, but I suspect some of these 6'2 CB's will be playing S at the next level anyway.

I'm not too worried about Safeties in the '17 class. We took 3 in '16 and already have a good one committed in Gibson. Plus J. Johnson will have two years of eligibility remaining. CB on the other hand I'm very worried about. We need 2-3 that are good enough to contribute right away.

Carter is a good player, that's not very fast....not sure how his game will translate at the next level

Advertisement
He spent a lot of time with Devin Studstill at ND.. His former teammate who probably has a big impact on him. Just my opinion is similar to many other recruits, we just need to prove it on the field and we'll get some good players.

But at the same time, 2018 class is going to be full of guys that overtake anyone we land in 2017 that is a DB. Blades, Frierson, Jobe, etc are going to play when they step on campus

Advertisement
Back