Alonzo HighSmith Joining Staff [Old thread, Rad says “not imminent”]

This makes me really happy.

Vision and balls.

The two things that made the Miami football most of us grew up watching and allowing to shape even our own attitudes.

No idea the result, but at least these are actions that get us back to our real roots.

Vision and balls.
And no fear of hiring experienced guys bc you think they'll drive you out of a job. If you have any ounce of confidence you know the **** job is yours and you'd hire the best available to make you look better. Only guys like Randy and Manny are scared to bring in experienced AC's / personnel.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Unfortunately, Harvard ain't what it used to be. Today, it's just a club... And you and I ain't in it.

Not sure why you feel that way. You aware of the GPA, SAT/ACT and Scholar kids who meet their standards? America still what it is. Not what you know but who you know. Harvard is still a high academic institution with some of the most accomplished students.

Not sure why you feel that way. You aware of the GPA, SAT/ACT and Scholar kids who meet their standards? America still what it is. Not what you know but who you know. Harvard is still a high academic institution with some of the most accomplished students.
Harvard is one of the most overrated places on planet earth. The challenge is getting in, once you are in it's no better nor worse than peer institutions. Plenty of mediocre grade grubbers manage to get accepted to that place and I've worked with some.

Frankly, the getting in is less about being intelligent than it is about having a way to stand out. Whether it is having famous/ wealthy parents(Being famous yourself) being a legacy or in some select cases, having a compelling background story, the key is to get in. Once you are in, the coursework isn't significantly different than what you'd get at UMiami or any other private liberal arts school.

Advertisement
Harvard is one of the most overrated places on planet earth. The challenge is getting in, once you are in it's no better nor worse than peer institutions. Plenty of mediocre grade grubbers manage to get accepted to that place and I've worked with some.

Frankly, the getting in is less about being intelligent than it is about having a way to stand out. Whether it is having famous/ wealthy parents(Being famous yourself) being a legacy or in some select cases, having a compelling background story, the key is to get in. Once you are in, the coursework isn't significantly different than what you'd get at UMiami or any other private liberal arts school.

I think some of what you say is true, but for the vast majority of students at Harvard getting in was very difficult, as it is for all Ivies.

Between the incredibly high SAT scores, and all the other extracurricular activities that are needed, it’s not an easy place to get into. This doesn’t even need to be said.

Now are there some high profile people who are just average students that get in because of their social notoriety? Of course there are. There are also some that are highly qualified, that don’t get in, also because of social notoriety. Then of course, there are the Asians that don’t get in because of quotas.

But once you get in, are the curriculums and work required similar to other liberal arts undergraduate institutions. More or less - I think they’re very similar.

Harvard being easy is just not true,; I studied computer engineering and computer science at Johns Hopkins and my brother went to Rice University, both notoriously difficulty undergrad programs. I can tell you comparing my friend's curriculums and mine and they were relatively comparable, yeah some things were more lenient but the course work and the assignments were equivalent in terms of complexity and toughness from professors (they had more support in terms of TAs but thats more due to the nature of Hopkins and competition).

As far as the professionals they produce, I have worked with few but they seem to be competent, I cant speak on the mediocrity in the workplace.

Lastly, getting in is tricky, my brother has a crazy recruiting story with Rice/Harvard and it was definitely aligned with what you are saying. As a whole I do believe that as a whole Harvard does house some the most gifted students in the country. Sure there are some in state schools but as a whole, they have people capable of great things.

I think some of what you say is true, but for the vast majority of students at Harvard getting in was very difficult, as it is for all Ivies.

Between the incredibly high SAT scores, and all the other extracurricular activities that are needed, it’s not an easy place to get into. This doesn’t even need to be said.

Now are there some high profile people who are just average students that get in because of their social notoriety? Of course there are. There are also some that are highly qualified, that don’t get in, also because of social notoriety. Then of course, there are the Asians that don’t get in because of quotas.

But once you get in, are the curriculums and work required similar to other liberal arts undergraduate institutions. More or less - I think they’re very similar.
No one said getting in wasn't difficult, in fact I specifically said the challenge is getting in. The problem is that getting in isn't nearly the meritocracy sold to the masses. It isn't. It's more about standing out or doing certain things that get you attention. A lot of those "Things that stand out" are related to wealth or privilege. Going overseas to help others? Most middle class kids can't afford to do that in high school. High end travel sports? Same thing. Maximizing your SAT score with expensive tutors? Same thing.

There's a reason why Harvard offers to cover the cost of **** near everything for kids that come from disadvantaged backgrounds: They do because it's unlikely they will allow more than a handful of those kids to attend. Harvard is an incubator of class, nothing more. You can get a similar education from a multitude of places

Advertisement
No one said getting in wasn't difficult, in fact I specifically said the challenge is getting in. The problem is that getting in isn't nearly the meritocracy sold to the masses. It isn't. It's more about standing out or doing certain things that get you attention. A lot of those "Things that stand out" are related to wealth or privilege. Going overseas to help others? Most middle class kids can't afford to do that in high school. High end travel sports? Same thing. Maximizing your SAT score with expensive tutors? Same thing.

There's a reason why Harvard offers to cover the cost of **** near everything for kids that come from disadvantaged backgrounds: They do because it's unlikely they will allow more than a handful of those kids to attend. Harvard is an incubator of class, nothing more. You can get a similar education from a multitude of places
Let’s put it this way. If you are able to get in most likely you are an elite student. It probably doesn’t matter at that point what they teach. You graduate with the same elite intelligence as you had when
You went in except now you have a degree from Harvard along with all the doors that opens. and when it comes to opening doors at that level there are few schools that rival what Harvard can do for you.

Last edited:
549C3B5C-F131-4764-A0B4-AAAC34B84463.jpeg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let’s put it this way. If you are able to get in most likely you are an elite student. It probably doesn’t matter at that point what they teach. You graduate with the same elite intelligence as you had when
You went in except now you have a degree from Harvard along with all the doors that opens. and when it comes to opening doors at that level there are few schools that rival what Harvard can do for you.
The ironic part is that the people most likely to benefit from those doors being opened are LEAST likely to get into Harvard or the ivies in the first place. The typical Ivy League kid doesn't need that door opened, because it was opened for them as an accident of birth. It's not an accident that there are far more legacy kids roaming around campus than 1st generation college students.

Harvard is a good school, but the idea that going there puts you a cut above is a snow job, arguably the best marketing con ever. It's a finishing school for the upper crust and some of us kids of the working class are allowed in, to keep up appearances. I have to give them credit, they have people willing to risk prison to get their kids in, despite the education being no better than what you'd get at another solid private school.

The ironic part is that the people most likely to benefit from those doors being opened are LEAST likely to get into Harvard or the ivies in the first place. The typical Ivy League kid doesn't need that door opened, because it was opened for them as an accident of birth. It's not an accident that there are far more legacy kids roaming around campus than 1st generation college students.

Harvard is a good school, but the idea that going there puts you a cut above is a snow job, arguably the best marketing con ever. It's a finishing school for the upper crust and some of us kids of the working class are allowed in, to keep up appearances. I have to give them credit, they have people willing to risk prison to get their kids in, despite the education being no better than what you'd get at another solid private school.
Disagree. The percentage of "upper crust" and legacies attending Harvard today are significantly less than when Theodore and Eleanor roamed campus sporting their cardigans. It's no longer the finishing school it once was.

Advertisement
Back