Confirmed Alonzo Highsmith (joining Miami staff, 5.25 update)

I'm tired of this line of rationalization too. "Herbie didn't have to do it. He could have said no.".

No. He's paid to comment. He's paid to say things. Vilma gave him the script and he read the words. Let's not pretend like everyone on a sports show comes up with every idea on his/her own and writes every word of the copy.

We can be grateful to Herbstreit without jizzing all over ourselves and promising to name our first-born masculine children after him. We don't need Miami fans running around talking about putting a statue of Kirk next to the U on campus.

Enough already.

Kirk...thank you for your service. Thoughts and prayers. Blessings.

Now, can we stop the Herbstreit ****-jobs already?

**** that. Crown Herbie.

Advertisement
Agreed but none of this happens if not for 4th & 14 against a horrible FSU squad. Best loss ever.

Untrue. Lots of people have already described what actually happened, this was in motion since September, and Manny **** well knew he was a dead man walking. He would have been fired mid-season if not for the begging and pleading of his father.

**** that. Crown Herbie.

I'm going to come to your place of business to smack Kirk's **** out of your mouth.

Tired of all these fake Hurricane/closet Buckeye fans...why are some of our fans so beta?

In the immortal words of Don Vito Andolini Corleone, "you can act like a man!"

1653571932431.png

Last edited:
Untrue. Lots of people have already described what actually happened, this was in motion since September, and Manny **** well knew he was a dead man walking. He would have been fired mid-season if not for the begging and pleading of his father.
If Manny had ended the season 8-4 and lets say hypothetically won the bowl game..if his father had as much pull as people are saying he did..you would have been hard pressed to find anyone who would have bet that Manny would have been fired. thats a 6-7 game win streak and I think we would have made it to the ACC title game too.

Would he have still been fired? I would have bet on it, especially if Mario gave us the "its now or never" ultimatum which im sure he would have. And its not uncommon. Nebraska fired Frank Solich after a 9-3 season in 2003 and two years removed from playing for the national title, so it absolutely happens.

My point is, posters are making it seem like it Manny was gone once we started out 2-4 even if we had saved the season and won the ACC title. Like there was nothing he could have done. I dont know if I buy that. But thats just me. But I digress. Time to move on from Manny.

If Manny had ended the season 8-4 and lets say hypothetically won the bowl game..if his father had as much pull as people are saying he did..you would have been hard pressed to find anyone who would have bet that Manny would have been fired. thats a 6-7 game win streak and I think we would have made it to the ACC title game too.

Would he have still been fired? I would have bet on it, especially if Mario gave us the "its now or never" ultimatum which im sure he would have. And its not uncommon. Nebraska fired Frank Solich after a 9-3 season in 2003 and two years removed from playing for the national title, so it absolutely happens.

My point is, posters are making it seem like it Manny was gone once we started out 2-4 even if we had saved the season and won the ACC title. Like there was nothing he could have done. I dont know if I buy that. But thats just me. But I digress. Time to move on from Manny.
Who cares.

Advertisement
Advertisement

I read, however, in the Feldman article that it was Mario or bust. If it had not worked out there were no back up plans to fire Manny.

Manny was fired after 2-4 (and allowed to coach out the season). Mario had already expressed interest in taking the job. Beta Blake had already **** the bed multiple times on the "what if I gave you a blank check" question. The wheels were already in motion, even if a precise timeline and procedure was not yet established.

That is all. I'm not sure of the motivation for people saying that "Kirk Herbstreit" and "4th and 14" were the determinants of UM's fate. I've tried to hint at this soooo many times previously, but there was a lot of pent-up frustration and there were a lot of moving parts that had already started to move. Kirk Herbstreit and 4th-and-14 were only the parts of the iceberg that were visible to the average viewer.

Remember, Manny's dad simply begged for Manny to be allowed to coach until the end of the year. He never got him a "well, if we win the next 6 or 7 or 8 games, we'll reconsider" guarantee. So all the hypothetical "if Manny wins out, will Miami be too sportswriter-shamed to fire him" stuff can just get tossed in the bin.

No big deal, all's well that ends well.

Advertisement
I'm going to come to your place of business to smack Kirk's **** out of your mouth.

Tired of all these fake Hurricane/closet Buckeye fans...why are some of fans so beta?

In the immortal words of Don Vito Andolini Corleone, "you can act like a man!"

View attachment 187202

Have snickers bar, Karen. It’s not that serious.

I read, however, in the Feldman article that it was Mario or bust. If it had not worked out there were no back up plans to fire Manny.

Not a criticism of you, personally, but this is the problem when too many people put too much stock in a publicly-printed article. What was the alternative, that Navarro and Cristobal-friend Feldman say "Mario knew he was leaving Oregon in September, the entire 2021 season was a sham"? Yeah, that's not happening.

I don't know how to say this any other way. It was Mario or bust, but we weren't busting. Mario APPROACHED US IN SEPTEMBER. And as such, there was little chance of a "bust". Sure, it was POSSIBLE for Mario to change his mind, but after the whole Golden-Saban switcheroo, I never believed that Mario was going to do that to his alma mater a second time.

And I've said it before, even though there are some "I only believe what I read in the press" pooh-pooh'ers out there: in the remote chance that Mario chose to stay at Oregon, Miami would have hired an AD (likely Dan, but it could have been Tom Jurich) to come in and hire another guy to replace Manny.

Last edited:

Reminds me of all those convos we had @LeedsCane when I told you just hold on.

Advertisement
And this is why when people say they don’t want miami guys they aren’t wrong… buuutttt the miami guys have more than just a pay check in this. They live miami and will do anything for the canes. This is another example why “miami guys” are important

And this is why when people say they don’t want miami guys they aren’t wrong… buuutttt the miami guys have more than just a pay check in this. They live miami and will do anything for the canes. This is another example why “miami guys” are important
I am finding it funny that all the "Cast a wider net! We dont have to always go for Miami guys" crowd have been very silent the last few months. Funny how that works out though. Lol. Mario and Alonzo are the blueprint for what a "Miami guy" is. Doesnt get more Miami than those two.

Advertisement
Back