Confirmed Alonzo Highsmith (joining Miami staff, 5.25 update)

I never said I wanted him as AD smart guy and I’m not humping his leg you ******* idiot. I’ve posted on here multiple times i‘d like him in an Assistant Ad / football operations type position. I think an Nfl executive with scouting experience would be huge in that position, especially since the plan is to put more effort and money into the program.

What’s funny is I deleted my post immediately after writing because I knew some ignorant **** would have your exact response, and ignorance is what I try to avoid.

I agree, Zo is one of the few former players that we should be considering. Realistically, sports today are a business, and we should approach our AD as such. We need for example:

A GM for football only, thats the money maker (Zo would be PERFECT for that)
A GM for women sports
A GM for mens sports ex football (you may be able to combine with womens)
A GM for bureaucracy (sadly, you need one) and fundraising. You may be able to combine with GM of women sports since Title IX falls under here. Perhaps this person has the formal AD title

Advertisement
I’d prefer him in a step below Ad but I wouldn’t be upset at Ad. One day I’ll go into why I’m that confident in him but as for now I’ll just say **** @Canedude08 .

LOL, Dude and I have been trading posts for 15 years now, so I'm used to his preaching ways. But I agree with you that Zo has a lot of talent and IS qualified to run our football program. I wouldn't be disappointed at all in that case. I just want a proven AD to run the overall operation.

If Zo wasn't a former letter winner, none of you would be humping his leg. This is why I can't with our fanbase. He's a "Miami Guy Bro" hire, and let's be honest, he has a lot of the same organizational blind spots a lot of our fans have, hence why he's so popular. The 80s are over, Zo has always been part of the "Miami should be a jock school" contingent and that's not happening. Get a AD that understands and embraces what Miami can and maxes it out. This isn't USC, where you can hire ex jocks with no collegiate managerial experience and things will still run somewhat.

Go look at his resume, and tell us why he isnt qualified, for football head:

Front office[edit]​

In 2012, he accepted a Senior Personnel Executive position in the front office of the Green Bay Packers.

On January 2, 2018, it was reported that he would be joining the Cleveland Browns as their vice president of football operations. On January 10, it was confirmed that Highsmith would join the Browns, just as the Vice President of Player Personnel.

After consulting for the Seattle Seahawks in the 2020 offseason, he accepted a full-time position as a personnel executive with the team on June 12, 2020.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Exactly. Most ADs at big time school cut their teeth in Athletics admin in several schools (ie building up a resume, contact list, etc) before taking a job at a big time school. There’s no rule to say a non Athletics person can be a successful AD at a big time school but if you look at the ADs at big time schools, you’ll find they all have that experience. I dunno, maybe Gino does have experience in Athletics admin? I didn’t think so.

And there is no rule that says prior AD experience will make you a successful AD either.

I think ideally you want the whole shebang. So I don't dispute prior AD experience is not important. Just that it's not the most important thing.

I was involved with college athletics for years, have met and dealt with ADs throughout the country, and I can tell you these folks aren’t rocket scientists.

The best CEOs at Fortune 500 and high-growth companies are ballers in the game of business. We need a baller. Because this is big business now.

Everything the guy mentions is straight up ironic , certain posters here will know what I mean. He thinks he’s sounding smart but it’s actually the opposite.

Wasn't sure where he was going with that.

Go look at his resume, and tell us why he isnt qualified:

Front office[edit]​

In 2012, he accepted a Senior Personnel Executive position in the front office of the Green Bay Packers.

On January 2, 2018, it was reported that he would be joining the Cleveland Browns as their vice president of football operations. On January 10, it was confirmed that Highsmith would join the Browns, just as the Vice President of Player Personnel.

After consulting for the Seattle Seahawks in the 2020 offseason, he accepted a full-time position as a personnel executive with the team on June 12, 2020.

Again, I ask, All Sport AD or running our football operation? Definitely he's an up-and-comer at football. But even there he's not proven. I'd still take him because he's a bad-***, has high energy, gets Miami, gets college football, et al. Lots of intangibles, I like him a lot ... for football.

Advertisement
The best CEOs at Fortune 500 and high-growth companies are ballers in the game of business. We need a baller. Because this is big business now.

Must have prior AD experience, bro. Don't leave that out.

I was involved with college athletics for years, have met and dealt with ADs throughout the country, and I can tell you these folks aren’t rocket scientists.

Just look at our instate competitors. What has Stricklin done at UF? At FSU, the previous AD ran Jimbo out of town and hired Willie doing a "Blake", only talked to his Willie's agent. Then the new AD fires Willie and now they are broke.

I haven't read this thread but I do want to know what @Cribby and @Liberty City El think. If we do make changes what is the obsession with Zo? I wanted an SEC guy or someone with cfb front office expirience.....if he has ties or not don't care as long as he's connected to that SEC BS. Am I wrong for being hesitant or am I just a full on mope and don't trust UM. Help me

Or anyone else I trust like those two guys let me know.

I’d prefer him in a step below Ad but I wouldn’t be upset at Ad. One day I’ll go into why I’m that confident in him but as for now I’ll just say **** @Canedude08 .
How’s about an NFL level scouting dept? With all the talent leaving for the SEC, seems like a professional scouting dept that’s able to find the players who Miami never recruits, yet end up balling somewhere, would pay dividends.

If only someone had expertise in that area.

Advertisement
Must have prior AD experience, bro. Don't leave that out.
Interestingly, of the last 20 ADs to win a championship in football… something like 16 of em played at least college football*

*Dont remember the exact number, but Navarro researched it and found that almost all played football.

Interestingly, of the last 20 ADs to win a championship in football… something like 16 of em played at least college football*

*Dont remember the exact number, but Navarro researched it and found that almost all played football.
Former players are usually (i) competitive (ii) sports fanatics. Those are good baseline qualities for an AD. Almost every successful CEO I know is a hyper competitive sociopath lol.

Certainly better than having some woke beta with a masters in sports administration.

Just look at our instate competitors. What has Stricklin done at UF? At FSU, the previous AD ran Jimbo out of town and hired Willie doing a "Blake", only talked to his Willie's agent. Then the new AD fires Willie and now they are broke.

Come on man. Look at that FSU AD’s track record.

Advertisement
How’s about an NFL level scouting dept? With all the talent leaving for the SEC, seems like a professional scouting dept that’s able to find the players who Miami never recruits, yet end up balling somewhere, would pay dividends.

If only someone had expertise in that area.

LOL now you want an AD to recruit? Holy shlt.

Makes sense. A major reason I believe Manny struggles as a coordinator is because he never played football at a high level. Similarly, I would want anyone running my football operation to have intimate experience with playing the game at a high level.

Former players are usually (i) competitive (ii) sports fanatics. Those are good baseline qualities for an AD. Almost every successful CEO I know is a hyper competitive sociopath lol.

Certainly better than having some woke beta with a masters in sports administration.

I’m competitive and a sports fanatic. Maybe I should apply for the A.D. position.

It’s as foolish to discount someone because hes a former player as it is to discount someone because he’s not a former player.

I mentioned earlier that I’m not one who thinks former players are good hires, but this case may be unique. Go listen to the man talk about the state of affairs before you pass judgement.
I've listened to him, and he talks a good game. That said, he has no collegiate managerial experience. None. He hasn't been on college campuses full time since he left the University, over 30 years ago. The NFL is a different beast compared to collegiate athletics. I'm not entrusting a multi-million dollar business on the brink to someone that has no experience dealing with these unique challenges. Again, a school like USC or Alabama can make these kind of hires, because they they have the infrastructure and support needed to succeed despite their leadership. Miami can't afford to make those kind of hires. Hire someone with a good success probability and go from there. Zo isn't that hire. If Zo wants to team with the incoming AD and that AD wants to groom Zo to be the next man up, I'm in favor. Jurich would be perfect, because he is 5 years away from retirement.

Advertisement
Back