Confirmed Alonzo Highsmith (joining Miami staff, 5.25 update)

Advertisement
Gino Torreta as AD? Where do you guys come up with this stuff? The man hasn't been in a sports related field in 30 years.
He is CEO and Founder of Touchdown Radio which broadcasts games nationally and a commentator on College Sports Nation on Sirius Satellite Radio. He is still very much involved in the sports scene.

Advertisement
Gino is a very smart successful business man , people should listen to him.
He also served as a Senior Financial Advisor at Wachovia and is VP of an asset management company based in Palm Beach. Got his business admin degree at Miami and of course was a successful college football player and leader of an NC team at Miami. Played in the NFL for 4 years.

These are all disqualifications according to some around here.

Advertisement
He is CEO and Founder of Touchdown Radio which broadcasts games nationally and a commentator on College Sports Nation on Sirius Satellite Radio. He is still very much involved in the sports scene.

He also served as a Senior Financial Advisor at Wachovia and is VP of an asset management company based in Palm Beach. Got his business admin degree at Miami and of course was a successful college football player and leader of an NC team at Miami. Played in the NFL for 4 years.

These are all disqualifications according to some around here.

If Blake got the job with no actual AD experience, I don't understand people doubting Gino's experience. He's clearly more experienced than Blake, and has more business experience than Blake, by a mile.

Im definitely not advocating for Gino, but he looks like he would be an upgrade from our current situation.

Sounds about as qualified as “runs a college sports message board”

Advertisement
If Blake got the job with no actual AD experience, I don't understand people doubting Gino's experience. He's clearly more experienced than Blake, and has more business experience than Blake, by a mile.

Im definitely not advocating for Gino, but he looks like he would be an upgrade from our current situation.

We can agree on that. But I am not going to rule out a guy simply because he played football and got a degree here. That's dumb.

He does have apparent leadership and communication skills, can manage money effectively, and being a CEO of a broadcasting company I assume has organizational skills.

He is still connected through broadcasting to the sports world so talks to players, coaches, etc. so is not in any sense disconnected from the sports for the last "30 years".

Will this necessarily make him successful as AD? No. But it doesn't disqualify him either. A Gino/Zo combo can work but nothing is a sure fire thing.

If Zo is the right dude for the AD role, let him interview with other candidates and prove it. For the record, I'm on hiring him in some capacity but lazy, easy hires is what has plagued us for the past 20 years.

If he wins the process, all good and let's ride. If he doesn't, someone better suited has won and let's also ride.

Him as a football czar would be ideal - I'm a fan of all our university sports and the other two need a big overhaul too. Can Zo be that guy? I hope he can but let's do it properly

Advertisement
I have noticed Blake hasn’t commented on football via Twitter since early September and had a first tweet in a long time last night in regards to the women’s basketball.
I think he has already had his nuts cut off.

Blake knows what’s coming, even if he hasn’t been told.

Advertisement
Back