Confirmed Alonzo Highsmith (joining Miami staff, 5.25 update)

I'm not going to go into a super-deep-dive on Epstein, because some of the things I could say "cannot be proven" and are just things that I have heard. So I'll try to stick to the known knowns.

---No one can argue that leaks never occurred. There was VERY specific information that arose in BOT meetings which made it into various media reports. You can do a rough correlation between certain reports, the opinions of certain factions on the BOT, and the motivations/goals of the leaks. You could then reasonably conclude who did what. But it's not "provable", unless the sportswriters reveal their sources, which they will not do.

---You can then compare the HC/AD leaking to decades of prior BOT activity and norms. Simply, you have NEVER seen that level of leaking from the UM BOT ever, it was unprecedented. Why? Athletics is just a fraction of what the BOT oversees. Why does someone put a lifetime appointment to the BOT in jeopardy over spilling the tea on an AD and a HC hire? And this is where I respectfully submit that certain Trustees saw this as a much larger jihad, the "old guard" vs. the "youngsters", the "glacial/conservative pace approach" vs. the "get it done now approach".

---Then you look at "if not Epstein, then who?" Honestly, there aren't that many people on the BOT who are as active, who are as invested, who are as powerful, who are as threatened, and who are as motivated as Epstein was to leak information. Sure, we could all play some kind of "well, there are 100 BOT murder suspects in this room that we need to interrogate" game, but the reality is that there are only a couple of likely suspects. Or one.

---Finally, you look to the sportswriters. In particular, Ferman's case is very instructive because myself and multiple other people called him out by name for being a pawn of certain Trustees, in that they were using him to publicize their side of the narrative. First, Ferman denied that he even knew Epstein. Later, Ferman changed his tune, when he began to realize that Epstein had used intermediaries to do his dirty work. So while you can't directly prove what Epstein did, you get the impression of what he did indirectly when Ferman stops playing along when he realized that he had been used.

To sum up, I believe that Epstein's behavior was reprehensible for two reasons. First, he violated the secrecy/confidentiality of the BOT proceedings. I am the first to call for GREATER transparency in BOT meetings and deliberations, but in a fair and uniform fashion. No Trustee should be allowed to weaponize the confidentiality (or lack thereof). Second, Epstein and his intermediaries disclosed things related to personnel, which is much more complicated and problematic than, say, "UM wants to build an 8-story building but Coral Gables will only approve a 5-story building". There were issues with Mario's ongoing employment, there were issues with the New Mexico AD, you even had motherfvckin' Lane Kiffin publicly submitting his verbal resume because everyone recognized the process as a "****e show". The reality is that there were 2 shows, the very organized show (outside consultant, involvement of Joe Echevarria and Rudy Fernandez) and the ****e show (separate camps, ongoing leaks, petty jealousies).

I wish I could provide times and dates and phone logs for Epstein. I think he used other people as buffers and as usually happens after a war, he smiled and shook hands with everyone afterwards. I can't say if some rogue Trustee pulled this kind of crap back in the 1950s, but I can tell you that it is unprecedented in the 35 years that I've been a UM student and alum. I do hope that Epstein "retires" soon (as a Trustee), but I also hope we reduce the size of the Board and we start becoming more transparent, at least to the students, faculty, and alums.

Maybe Athletics can lead the way, showing the rest of the UM administration that greater outreach and communication and respectful treatment of all of the stakeholders will produce better results across the spectrum. And I don't care if people think I'm overly optimistic and/or idealistic, but we have to start making changes and improvements somewhere sometime.

I don’t know Epstein personally, I’ve seen him around of course, but I have no proof or actual direct or indirect knowledge if he was the actual guy behind the leaks or not. I do know he’s very vocal, and my guess is he’s not as influential in the BOT as he thinks he is.

It would make sense if he was the guy.

But I think you framed the issue correctly, and that is that the process was moving forward, whether certain people liked it or not, and a few of those people, since they weren’t part or disagreed with the process, and for whatever reason, became somewhat disgruntled.

That’s how I see it. I think it was more of a power thing than anything else.

But the plan was going forward there’s no doubt about that, they weren’t going to stop it, maybe they thought the media attention would bring some negative obstacles, but that was just more or less flailing.

Advertisement
Well, that's not entirely true. I've heard multiple interviews he's done, Bobby D wanted more input and collaboration (and pay) at that point in his career, and Coppola wouldn't give that to him.

I too am a huge fan of the book and (first two) movies, I've read/watched many times, and I think I've said that I took a Management course at UM that used The Godfather as the textbook (no joke).

I agree completely that money was the primary motivating factor for making the Godfather III film, particularly the collapse of Coppola's Zoetrope Studios.

But.

Mario Puzo was the author of the book and collaborated on all of the screenplays. He may not have ORIGINALLY intended to extend the story, but he did. He participated, nobody put a gun to his head.

I understand why so many people repudiate the third movie. But we have to be honest. The mafia continued to operate after the Senate hearings in the 60s. The mafia continued to operate into the 1980s and 1990s. There is nothing wrong with continuing the story into the present day, as long as it is done well.

The script needed work. About half of the cast should have been re-cast. And I wish that Puzo and Coppola had swallowed their pride and collaborated with Pacino and Duvall and other key actors in order to get a better sense of what their characters would do and say.

But I'm not in the "Godfather III should never have been attempted" camp.
If anything it should've been with the consigliere taking a more prominent role and modeling it towards the ways that were becoming more prominent (with the Russian model) white collar crime and money laundering... Or being a lil further down the line and showing the collapse of that business model along with the upbringing and successors in their kids.i would've liked that more than the third how it was.

If anything it should've been with the consigliere taking a more prominent role and modeling it towards the ways that were becoming more prominent (with the Russian model) white collar crime and money laundering... Or being a lil further down the line and showing the collapse of that business model along with the upbringing and successors in their kids.i would've liked that more than the third how it was.

Agreed. I understand why they included the Vatican storyline, it is a real-life story that is comparable to the way that Puzo pulled real-life mob stories from the 1920s to the 1960s when he wrote The Godfather novel. I just felt that the REAL appeal is in the mafia characters, not the church characters.

And I agree with you on the "collapse of the business model" thread, that is a continuation of what you saw in Godfather I/Godfather II as the "old-style" mafia businesses of "vice" (drinking, gambling, unions, protection) transitioned into the drug business. I think it would have been interesting to see the Corleone family struggling with the modern-day mafia as Michael continued to pursue his "dream" of going legit. The "Immobiliare" storyline could have done that, but they spent waaaaaay too much time in the weeds of that story, plus the church.

Alfred Hitchcock had it right with his idea of the "McGuffin", the plot device about which the audience doesn't give a ****e about the details. That's what Immobiliare should have been. That's what the Vatican should have been. We didn't need a big chunk of the movie devoted to that.

Did we get into great detail about Virgil Solozzo's drug operation in Godfather I? No. Did we have to spend a lot of time learning about Moe Greene's gambling operations? No. Did we get a ton of backstory about the life of Hyman Roth in Godfather II? No.

Godfather I and II were very tight taut filmmaking. Godfather III wasted a ton of time on boring ****e (Immobiliare and the Vatican) and didn't devote enough time to Joey Zaza and Don Altobello.

back to the Alonzo news, in the OBB interview, Alonzo says that Andrew Rodgers, the transfer portal guru at Michigan State, is the son of a Art Rodgers (NFL Scout), a Columbus alum.

this **** is spooky. the f@cking Columbus mafia has its tentacles everywhere.

back to the Alonzo news, in the OBB interview, Alonzo says that Andrew Rodgers, the transfer portal guru at Michigan State, is the son of a Art Rodgers (NFL Scout), a Columbus alum.

this **** is spooky. the f@cking Columbus mafia has its tentacles everywhere.
The Columbus connection is a bit surreal but it’s turned out to be a Godsend for our Canes.

Advertisement
***** A bro. On vacation and took some time off from CIS this week. This is a HUGE piece of the puzzle. Having an NFL molded recruiting operation will pay big dividends. Just wow. I was pretty hard on Frenk and the powers that be, but they have really done a tremendous job with this mission of being great again.

Welcome Home Zo!!

7CA1EA52-7FEA-47DA-B84B-3A7DF3960319.gif

84991D38-3042-4D81-860E-9A94D3A8F221.gif

CB24C391-3DB6-4571-9242-461357BECF0D.gif

57FD79A7-3371-4D84-9DA3-3CAEEC726058.gif

F8118AC9-0DC6-41D1-A5AB-0E8EA5ED0B8C.gif

EB43DD50-8F26-478A-8348-53EAF928869B.gif

Ok (deep breath as I prepare for my random rant) it is an abomination it should have never been filmed, it should have stayed and ended with #2 as it was always intended as per Coppola. In fact out of principle I refuse to purchase, cus I would never turned down a free glass of wine I am not a savage you know, but i will never purchase Coppola wine! Never! Why? You may ask. It is because of Coppola wine that the film that shall not be named was made. For years the studio was asking Francis to make 3rd film and for years he said no his vision was to leave the story as is after Godfather 2. Fast forward Francis vineyard is going bankrupt and he comes to the studio and says “I’ll do it for 20 mil” saves his vineyard and ****es out that travesty of a film.

Casting was horrendous (Sofia was atrocious), Fonda’s character was pointless, the mob conflict was but a blip, the whole making a statement towards the Vatican was a bit much, and the stupid resolution between Michael and Kate prior to Anthony was plain dumb etc etc etc

And I’m done, I feel better now

Coppola originally wanted Julia Roberts to play Mary, but she wasn't available, and he even tested Madonna and some others for the role. But it went to Winona Ryder who actually made it to set in Italy where they were already shooting, went through hair and makeup for her first day's shoot, then had somewhat of a nervous breakdown in her trailer. She went back to the hotel and they sent the production doc to her, but she quit, which was horrific timing. That doesn't mean Sofia was the only option though. You might recall that Harvey Keitel was cast as the lead in Apocalypse Now and actually shot a good chunk of the film before Coppola fired him and re-cast with Sheen and re-shot it all. Different time, though.

Anyway, Sofia Coppola had been doing the table reads for the Mary character as Winona was shooting another movie at the time of rehearsals, so Coppola slid Sofia in last second, to obviously tragic results.

Last edited:
IIRC Duval wanted no part of the movie. he knew it was a bomb

Not entirely accurate. He demanded the same amount of money as Pacino. He said if we're making this thing solely for money, I want my money. They wouldn't give it to him. I think in the end, he won.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not entirely accurate. He demanded the same amount of money as Pacino. He said if we're making this thing solely for money, I want my money. They wouldn't give it to him. I think in the end, he won.
Yes, but Duvall’s absence left out potentially rich storylines.

In the end, one of Coopola’s regrets was he and Puzo not spending sufficient time developing the script. In one interview I remember, he mentioned they spent six weeks writing the first draft, and should have spent six months.

Some criticized the Vatican portion, which IMO had potential. There were real-life scandal(s) in the Vatican bank, and in the third film Michael had incredible guilt over having ordered his brother Fredo killed, as revealed in the confession scene. A lot to work with there.

Last edited:
Yes, but Duvall’s absence left out potentially rich storylines.

In the end, one of Coopola’s regrets was he and Puzo not spending sufficient time developing the script. In one interview I remember, he mentioned they spent six weeks writing the first draft, and should have spent six months.

Some criticized the Vatican portion, which IMO had potential. There were real-life scandal(s) in the Vatican bank, and in the third film Michael had incredible guilt over having ordered his brother Fredo killed, as revealed in the confession scene. A lot to work with there.

some of the story lines were decent, but the script sucked, the scenes had no gravitas and everything seemed entirely in-authentic and lacking meaning, unlike the first two movies. for example, in the first godfather, the wedding scene lasts about 20 minutes. that scene is mimicked in godfather two in michael's son's confirmation party scene (the parallels and contrasts are brilliant). godfather three has no such scene, none, nothing remotely as meaningful and substantive. it is an insipid piece of fruit, at best.

by the way, pope john paul the first was killed (allegedly because he was going to endorse abortions) within the vatican during his first 30 days and this fact was mentioned in three

Last edited:
some of the story lines were decent, but the script sucked, the scenes had no gravitas and everything seemed entirely in-authentic and lacking meaning, unlike the first two movies. for example, in the first godfather, the wedding scene last's about 20 minutes. that scene is mimicked in godfather two in michael's son's confirmation party scene (the parallels and contrasts are brilliant). godfather three has no such scene, none, nothing remotely as meaningful and substantive. it is an insipid piece of fruit, at best.

by the way, the pope john paul the first was killed within the vatican during his first 30 days and this fact was mentioned in the three

1653762132308.png

Advertisement
some of the story lines were decent, but the script sucked, the scenes had no gravitas and everything seemed entirely in-authentic and lacking meaning, unlike the first two movies. for example, in the first godfather, the wedding scene last's about 20 minutes. that scene is mimicked in godfather two in michael's son's confirmation party scene (the parallels and contrasts are brilliant). godfather three has no such scene, none, nothing remotely as meaningful and substantive. it is an insipid piece of fruit, at best.

by the way, the pope john paul the first was killed within the vatican during his first 30 days and this fact was mentioned in the three
Agreed.

I’ve seen GF3 once, and nearly walked out after the helicopter attack scene.

That’s how poor the script was, to me.

Coppola originally wanted Julia Roberts to play Mary, but she wasn't available, and he even tested Madonna and some others for the role. But it went to Winona Ryder who actually made it to set in Italy where they were already shooting, went through hair and makeup for her first day's shoot, then had somewhat of a nervous breakdown in her trailer. She went back to the hotel and they sent the production doc to her, but she quit, which was horrific timing. That doesn't mean Sofia was the only option though. You might recall that Harvey Keitel was cast as the lead in Apocalypse Now and actually shot a good chunk of the film before Coppola fired him and re-cast with Sheen and re-shot it all. Different time, though.

Anyway, Sofia Coppola had been doing the table reads for the Mary character as Winona was shooting another movie at the time of rehearsals, so Coppola slid Sofia in last second, to obviously tragic results.
nice wikipedia research

nice wikipedia research

Ha. Fair enough. Not Wiki, but definitely had to google a few facts to confirm my memory (and add Madonna!), but actually I have a family connection to the production and have been pretty obsessed with the first two films (specially the locations) my whole life. GOAT.

Advertisement
I really wanted Lane 7 months ago, I don't believe we would have seen nearly as much change and devotion to the program if that would have happened. I'm certainly on board with where UM football is trying to head.
@nystateofmind this is the one you should have bumped.

Advertisement
Back