All you need to see in BOT and BBB

I don't understand why the school would fire golden in the middle of the year unless Butch was an option. Because not only would you save the money if you fired him at the end of the year but, every coach that has a job would only be available the last Sunday in November. So what's the point of firing him now unless you're interviewing somebody that doesn't have a football job?

Here's the problem with that - yes, technically Butch could be hired today, but he couldn't put a staff together until December anyway so really it doesn't matter that Butch could be hired now.

It does matter because of recruiting. The sooner he is hired the better before these recruits start changing their minds with the ton of negative recruiting we are going to be receiving.

Butch could start going into these kids living rooms and explaining to them his vision and who he plans on bringing into his staff.

It should go like "Hello (name player), I am Butch Davis. Do I need to say anything else?....Glad to hear you are sticking with us. Have a good day, thanks"

I suppose, it'd just be awkward - has that happened before with a new coach being hired mid-season with a lame duck staff? Whether it's Butch or not, I just don't see us making a hire until December.

Advertisement
Nobody has ruled out Davis, but two Board of Trustees members said they would be surprised if Davis, 63, is considered because of the way he left North Carolina, amid a student athlete academic scandal across numerous sports. Even though he wasn’t directly implicated by the NCAA, many believe Davis was tarnished and he hasn’t found a job since. One Trustee said discussion of Davis usually elicits an eye roll among UM officials.

Sports Buzz | Miami Herald & MiamiHerald.com

I don't understand why the school would fire golden in the middle of the year unless Butch was an option. Because not only would you save the money if you fired him at the end of the year but, every coach that has a job would only be available the last Sunday in November. So what's the point of firing him now unless you're interviewing somebody that doesn't have a football job?

Here's the problem with that - yes, technically Butch could be hired today, but he couldn't put a staff together until December anyway so really it doesn't matter that Butch could be hired now.

Matters big time in recruiting.

That said, I expect these morons to keep everybody wondering until we are struggling to keep anyone in the '16 class.

Smart businessmen would understand a short term incentive laden contract with Butch now, with extension possibility given certain goals being met, would be the best thing for all parties short term and immediate.

UM

y is miami scared of bad publicity? its just that, and espn was smashing us already about being cheap stadium bullshyt n ftty eight zero whoopin. go get dis dude n let da bad pib continue we r fkin miami, we will laugh later at those who laughed at us. bring this dude bak n embrace who da *** u r

Advertisement
All I can think of with Butch is the scene from Ghostbusters in the mayor's office:

"but Butch, what if you're wrong?"

"If I'm wrong nothing happens - I go back to commentating, peacefully, quietly, I'll enjoy it. But if I'm right...and I can fix this team......Frenky - YOU will have saved the lives of MILLIONS of season ticket holders."
I wish you'd post more.

All I can think of with Butch is the scene from Ghostbusters in the mayor's office:

"but Butch, what if you're wrong?"

"If I'm wrong nothing happens - I go back to commentating, peacefully, quietly, I'll enjoy it. But if I'm right...and I can fix this team......Frenky - YOU will have saved the lives of MILLIONS of season ticket holders."
I wish you'd post more.

Aww shucks. Well, now that the nightmare is over I might start coming out of the woodwerks a bit more.

Once again. Temper your expectations. Butch is a major longshot. People want to pretend that there are no issues there, but UM is not Alabama or Texas. They are not going to just do whatever it takes to win and hire Butch and ignore the issues.

The fact that the academic scandal at UNC was going on before Butch is really not all that relevant. He was there for years while it went on. Former players have said publically that he knew. Even though the NCAA did not implicate him, he was FIRED because it went on during his tenure. This is BAD publicity and baggage. AS BAD, was the John Blake fiasco. Another nasty scandal with a coach Butch personally brought in. During his watch. That cost UNC. This was on his watch. Its BAGGAGE. Baggage that is being looked at by a school coming off the Shapiro mess and that is still on NCAA probation and that spent YEARS with bad publicity and was viewed as a huge black eye for the school. And top it all off with bad blood over how he left the first time, and it makes the scenario very unlikely.

Stop thinking about this like a bunch of rah rah die hard football fans. That is NOT who sits on the BOT. That is not the President of the University. The people who make this decision are not sitting around talking about "recruiting savages".

The ONLY shot that Butch has is that he really wants it, is an ideal fit, and he's the top choice of the fan base. But the fact that there seems to be so much resistance to it from within UM is just more evidence of how BAD his baggage is viewed. People need to realize that the deck is highly stacked against Butch and its very unlikely that its going to happen.

Funny that they roll their eyes at Butch, but consider Mario a great candidate just because he spent time at Bama...a program that pretty much everyone and their moms know is the dirtiest of the dirty (ie the Monarch HS situation, recruits flashing wads of cash, riding in fancy cars, dirty boosters, etc). If the NCAA decided they wanted to bring down their cash cow for some reason and launched an investigation in to Bama's recruiting practices, I'm pretty sure the Recruiter of the Year would end up with some dirt on his hands.

Advertisement
I'm sorry, are they missing something? Miami admins have this funny way of thinking their ish don't stink. Was it not Davis who came to this program when the NCAA was about to fold us w/ a kill shot, and Davis came through and CLEANED up the program?

Didn't we just have another NCAA scandal, I dunno, say 4 1/2 years ago, in which Shalala was openigly allowing a convict to have unlimited access to the players? Yet, they're judging a man who had nothing to do with some shady practices a University was involved in, the same shady practices that are STILL going on today?

Lol at this admin. Lol! What a bunch of pots we have.

Let the man clean up your mess again! He actually wants to. They talk about money, they talk about winning titles, they talk about doing what's best for the program, they talk about a "Miami" guy....ding, ding, mutha-f'n ding...his name is Butch Davis. He's only going to be here 4-5 years and he's looking to rebuild the program to be put on auto pilot, and he's looking to rebuild the fence.

Stop being stupid and hypocrites, drop the drawers, let the D hang out and make the ballzy hire!

Last edited:
Rell is right the hypocrisy is astounding! This is a business this isn't pop warner. You didn't pay Golden 7M to go away because he was a good face of the program. Butch was a scapegoat at UNC and if people claim is that it happened on his watch why is Roy Williams still employed?

I'm sorry, are they missing something? Miami admins have this funny way of thinking their ish don't stink. Was it not Davis who came to this program when the NCAA was about to fold us w/ a kill shot, and Davis came through and CLEANED up the program?

Didn't we just have another NCAA scandal, I dunno, say 4 1/2 years ago, in which Shalala was openigly allowing a convict to have unlimited access to the players? Yet, they're judging a man who had nothing to do with some shady practices a University was involved in, the same shady practices that are STILL going on today?

Lol at this admin. Lol! What a bunch of pots we have.

Let the man clean up your mess again! He actually wants to. They talk about money, they talk about winning titles, they talk about doing what's best for the program, they talk about a "Miami" guy....ding, ding, mutha-f'n ding...his name is Butch Davis. He's only going to be here 4-5 years and he's looking to rebuild the program to be put on auto pilot, and he's look to rebuild the fence.

Stop being stupid and hypocrites, drop the drawers, let the D hang out and make the ballzy hire!

Advertisement
Back