All time Favorite UM Player name

Advertisement
Wasn't Tom Sullivan also called Silky Sullivan?

Also, there was a QB that always wore white shoes during games and he got to be called Kelly (or Kenny?) White Shoes Cochran

I remember, at home games, the announcer always calling our team MIAMA....not Miami
That's the way old-timers used to say it. More common when I was growing up in the 1920's.

Bubba McDowell...Jessie Armstead..Alonzo Highsmith.. Bukaso Kalombo
I called the Kalombo family at home once to invite them to a Hurricane Club function in D.C. A lot of yelling in the background. I guess maybe that's common in their culture. Bukasa's father was a diplomat, at one point Congolese ambassador to the Kremlin.

He might have beaten him in a race...but Jammi is Top 5 Best Offensive HS FB players I've seen play in 38yrs of watching Fl HS FB....Jammi toyed with people in HS...
Not as good as two last names ...like Steadman Scavella...or Standish Dobard.

I often wonder what Houston McTear could've have done on a FB field...Here in Orlando/Winter Park is Showalter Field...Back in the 60s and 70s they held many Meets there...About 10 or 12yrs ago I was talking to some elderly folks about their Memories about the Performances at Showalter...Of course immediately Bob Hayes name came up...and they went on and on (rightfully so) about his accomplishments at Showalter in the early 60s....(Keep in mind these were Elderly Black men in their 60s and 70s)...Legendary Stuff...You could easily tell they knew their stuff in ref to Track...But Maannnn the second Houston's name came up, they all said in agreement, that they never so someone run so Fast at a Showalter event than McTear in I think 1976....They said it was something they'll never forget....Absolutely Stupifing.....McTear ran a 9.0 100yds in 75.....Supposedly also ran a 8.95 that yr...but was later disallowed...
What's the world record in 100 yards? 9.1? Faster? Bob Hayes?

I didn't realize that when Bob Hayes blew through the long-standing 100 yard mark of 9.3 it was done in Coral Gables, but the track was not identified. (According to something I read recently). so I think that Hayes' legendary run might have actually been done on UM's track.

Advertisement
Record for 109 yards is 9.07 by Asafa Powell en route to 100 meters.

Most of the other very fast 100 yards were hand-timed and thus unofficial.

What's the world record in 100 yards? 9.1? Faster? Bob Hayes?

I didn't realize that when Bob Hayes blew through the long-standing 100 yard mark of 9.3 it was done in Coral Gables, but the track was not identified. (According to something I read recently). so I think that Hayes' legendary run might have actually been done on UM's track.
All I know is what those elderly men told me....If you go to YOUTUBE there's several vids about McTear...A 9.0 100yds in 1975 is so staggering I honestly don't know where to start...

Advertisement
I called the Kalombo family at home once to invite them to a Hurricane Club function in D.C. A lot of yelling in the background. I guess maybe that's common in their culture. Bukasa's father was a diplomat, at one point Congolese ambassador to the Kremlin.

You still in the DC area?

I often wonder what Houston McTear could've have done on a FB field...Here in Orlando/Winter Park is Showalter Field...Back in the 60s and 70s they held many Meets there...About 10 or 12yrs ago I was talking to some elderly folks about their Memories about the Performances at Showalter...Of course immediately Bob Hayes name came up...and they went on and on (rightfully so) about his accomplishments at Showalter in the early 60s....(Keep in mind these were Elderly Black men in their 60s and 70s)...Legendary Stuff...You could easily tell they knew their stuff in ref to Track...But Maannnn the second Houston's name came up, they all said in agreement, that they never so someone run so Fast at a Showalter event than McTear in I think 1976....They said it was something they'll never forget....Absolutely Stupifing.....McTear ran a 9.0 100yds in 75.....Supposedly also ran a 8.95 that yr...but was later disallowed...
Word is McTear used to race along side trains in Baker Fl.

Advertisement
Are you sure? I might do some research on this when I get a chance. I believe Sonny was from West Coast and Andy was from Indian Country in Oklahoma. Doesn't mean they're not but I wonder if they are from same tribe (or maybe nation is more appropriate these days).

I was in grad school at UM when Sixkiller and Wahnee played. I hung out with Hendricks, Sorensen, Golmont, Kalina, Skoog, Butkus, etc. I don't remember if I read it in the Herald, heard it from the players or how I came to hear about them being cousins, but I did hear it.

On a side note, Sixkiller and Wahnee enjoyed Ripple wine on the weekends during the off season. Also of note there was another American Indian on the team and a pretty good OT in Joe Mirto.

Advertisement
I was in grad school at UM when Sixkiller and Wahnee played. I hung out with Hendricks, Sorensen, Golmont, Kalina, Skoog, Butkus, etc. I don't remember if I read it in the Herald, heard it from the players or how I came to hear about them being cousins, but I did hear it.

On a side note, Sixkiller and Wahnee enjoyed Ripple wine on the weekends during the off season. Also of note there was another American Indian on the team and a pretty good OT in Joe Mirto.
Enjoy the stories, love the old history.

He was the 1st Mr. Fl FB recipient as well....Cape High??....I wish...I went to NFM...If you lived on one side of CC Pkwy you went to NFM....the otherside...Cypress Lake...If you were Catholic and folks had $$$ Bishop Verot....If you lived near Pine Island road, and had a Full set of "Tooth"...Riverdale
I missed Cape High by a yr...NFM 75-78
What if you went to Canterbury?

Advertisement
Back