All time Favorite UM Player name

Advertisement
I was in grad school at UM when Sixkiller and Wahnee played. I hung out with Hendricks, Sorensen, Golmont, Kalina, Skoog, Butkus, etc. I don't remember if I read it in the Herald, heard it from the players or how I came to hear about them being cousins, but I did hear it.

On a side note, Sixkiller and Wahnee enjoyed Ripple wine on the weekends during the off season. Also of note there was another American Indian on the team and a pretty good OT in Joe Mirto.
I'm still in touch from time-to-time with **** Sorensen who lives in No. Va. Retired but coaches at a local high school. Son Nick played for VaTech and is now the Seahawks' secondary coach. Pete Carroll seems to be loyal to his assistants if he likes them. Golden Ruel has been with him forever.

Sigmar and IdahoCane (latter on Grassy) were late '60's players.

I never attended UM but always followed the team through the years.

Spoke once to Butkus. Arnie, isn't it? Related to **** Butkus, I believe.

I'm still in touch from time-to-time with **** Sorensen who lives in No. Va. Retired but coaches at a local high school. Son Nick played for VaTech and is now the Seahawks' secondary coach. Pete Carroll seems to be loyal to his assistants if he likes them. Golden Ruel has been with him forever.

Had no idea Sigmar played at UM....Great Poster on Grassy...

Arnie roomed with Sorensen almost every semester and, since I was over there playing cards with **** quite often, I got to know Arnie. Arnie and **** Butkus are cousins. The Bears came to Miami for a Monday night game. Arnie, Sorensen and I along with 4 or 5 others attended the game. In the list above of the guys I hung out with, Butkus was the only one that didn't play basketball on teams I organized to play in a league in Homestead, We won the league all 6 years we played in it.

I know who Sigmar is from Grassy and I recognize the user name of IdahoCane from grassy, but I don't know his name. There is a good chance I knew him when he was at UM as I knew most of the players then to some degree. I also know Golden Ruel as well as his future wife from UM, but not very well.

Below is a link confirming that Sonny and Andy Sixkiller are cousins (near the end of the article). Also says that Sonny moved from Okla. to the west coast when he was 1 year old.

https://www.si.com/vault/1971/10/04/612437/the-magic-number-is-sixkiller

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Arnie roomed with Sorensen almost every semester and, since I was over there playing cards with **** quite often, I got to know Arnie. Arnie and **** Butkus are cousins. The Bears came to Miami for a Monday night game. Arnie, Sorensen and I along with 4 or 5 others attended the game. In the list above of the guys I hung out with, Butkus was the only one that didn't play basketball on teams I organized to play in a league in Homestead, We won the league all 6 years we played in it.

I know who Sigmar is from Grassy and I recognize the user name of IdahoCane from grassy, but I don't know his name. There is a good chance I knew him when he was at UM as I knew most of the players then to some degree. I also know Golden Ruel as well as his future wife from UM, but not very well.

Below is a link confirming that Sonny and Andy Sixkiller are cousins (near the end of the article). Also says that Sonny moved from Okla. to the west coast when he was 1 year old.

https://www.si.com/vault/1971/10/04/612437/the-magic-number-is-sixkiller
Great stuff!

IdahoCane stopped football and transferred after suffering multiple injuries at UM. Speedster, played DB and QB. From W.P.B. or P.B. area as I recall. Son played for UAB and before that as QB won state championship for Hoover AL which was coached by Rush Probst. Not comfortable mentioning names without prior approval. Idaho roomed with Billy Bosseler (All-time great Don's little brother) as a freshman. One friend he mentioned to me was Woody Giordano whom he tried to find after we connected on Grassy. Sadly, I believe he found that Woody died in a plane crash. I did find that there was a Woodrow Giordano who was born in '48 and died in '80. I always hate it when I see young people die before their time. I'm older than Woody would be and I've managed to make it this long. Lucky.

And for many of those years Cane's football has added to the enjoyment. So many wonderful memories, and not just starting in the '80's.

You might be able to figure out Idaho's name. If you think you have, just PM me.

Yep, I remember Arnie when calling his house down in Miami back in the '80's. **** was staying there I believe and gave me Arnie's number.

Those late '60's teams were a bright spot and then we started to sink around 1970. We had some great players, but not enough, schedules that were too demanding and a coaching carousel. Dolphins hurt us attendance-wise.

If anybody knows more about what happened with Woody Giordano maybe you could tell me. I could pass it on to Idaho although maybe he's put it to rest. I'm just curious, especially about plane crashes. I used to go up in private planes but never learned to pilot.

I believe there was a story about Golden Pat Ruel whose father by the same name was in a mid-air collision with a military jet. I think his father was an FBI agent. A friend of mine was too about 30 years ago but managed to land safely.

Interesting story about the Sixkillers. Both could really play.

I think Ted was also a roommate, maybe they had a suite?

Just as an aside, the congressman eating fried chicken at that House committee hearing, Steve Cohen, graduated Gables in '66. From Memphis now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back