All time Favorite UM Player name

I love the Australian pines in the background. Now that they've been declared invasive, its hard to find any around anymore. They used to be everywhere. Reminds me of the good old days.
They are everywhere on Sanibel and Captiva Islands...When I lived on Captiva after Culinary School...I remember them being all over the place...

Advertisement
I love the Australian pines in the background. Now that they've been declared invasive, its hard to find any around anymore. They used to be everywhere. Reminds me of the good old days.

This.

But then I had some huge ones start dying in my backyard. Had to pay a ton to get them removed. So I don’t feel quite as nostalgic about them as I used to.

@Matador.....Tony just texted me back and said its Tony Griffin...DB outta Ft Myers...
Remember the name. Kelly's era was hard for me to follow. Not on TV too much. We were just starting to become nationally prominent again, somewhat more national TV coverage but not as much as late '80's.

Remember the name. Kelly's era was hard for me to follow. Not on TV too much. We were just starting to become nationally prominent again, somewhat more national TV coverage but not as much as late '80's.
From Ft Myers my hometown...smh at forgetting...When I took the Pic at Greentree, I was living on Captiva...you'd think I'd have never forgotten....Now if you'll excuse me....I need to engulf Geritol....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Older pics of what I guess is now called Greentree had some other kinds of pines in the background. Not as dense as what is in these pictures.

Advertisement
Best came from a prep school in Kentucky. He was state HS 100 yard champion. We also had another stud back, Vince Opalsky, who was fast, powerful, but always getting hurt. I don't know why these guys never had pro careers.

Remember Opalsky, I believe he was from Pa. Yes, ran tough. Then came Tom Sullivan and Chuck Foreman. Went to a lot of games as a kid. The teams were not great, but they always had some really good players. Recruited a lot from the Northeast and Midwest. Would like to see some of those states mixed in with FLA.

Advertisement
Older pics of what I guess is now called Greentree had some other kinds of pines in the background. Not as dense as what is in these pictures.
Used to be a **** ton of pines & whatever those ones are that like bleed sap year round

Advertisement
And now someone is going to tell us his nick name was Vag

J was a very large offensive lineman, I don't think many people tried the "Vag" nickname on him.

But I do have to wonder what his parents were thinking.

Advertisement
Back