All time best freshman seasons

Advertisement
**** shame Duke wasn't born 15 years earlier so he could have been on the teams in the early 00's. He deserved better as did all of our players from the last 10 years.

**** shame Duke wasn't born 15 years earlier so he could have been on the teams in the early 00's. He deserved better as did all of our players from the last 10 years.

****, I would have settled for the D not giving that Virginia game away. Talk about putting the team on your back, he made play after play, but the high powered offensive juggernaut that was Virginia football was just too much. ******* Doritos.

Advertisement
Including true freshmen and redshirt freshmen in the article is kind of wishy-washy, if you ask me.

Duke's true freshman season was phenomenal and probably stands alone at the top, due to the workload that he got.
Gore as a freshman averaged 9 yards per tote. That's amazing. I remember watching how quickly he hit the hole...

Advertisement
Bernie has to get 1st billing. Kid was ice in the 1st NC game. I can't remember if Walsh started as red-shirt freshman if he backed up Vinnie for a year. If he was freshman, than undefeated and NC got to put him right in there. Other than that, have to go with Bernie. It was his game in the NC that really brought pro style passing attack front and center in college football. There were great QBs before but as I recall, most where more like your dual threats of today, only called scramblers -- Joe Willie, Ken Stabler, Montana, Roger Staubach. Like any list of great Canes, it is hard to rank them or even agree to a limited list.

How many tackles do Shaq and Pinckney have at this point? These guys have the potential to be every bit as good as Vilma and Williams tandem. Throw in McCloud and you almost have 2002 all over again when Rocky was along side those two.

Man next year and the year after these guys will be on the cover of magazines which has been awhile for us!

Advertisement
Advertisement
It 's only fair to mention that a majority of Gore's freshman playing time was in garbage time against overmatched opponents. It's not his fault, it's just he was buried on the depth chart and often got a bulk of his work late in the game against the likes of Temple or Rutgers. Still, 10 ypc is freakish.

If they stay healthy Shaq and Pinckney are there. Couldn't be more impressed with those two.

All things considered, I think EJ's freshman year was as or more impressive than Gore. Another guy with as good a year was James Jackson. Last but not least, a guy who was silly talented and who would have made big NFL $$, my favorite Stephen McGuire.

Advertisement
Back