Alex Mirabal is "Ready to Build a Championship Line"

Advertisement
Clemson had like 1 OL get drafted throughout their entire run and won 2 titles. I would call that a pretty average unit.
Common misconception by people who don't understand OL play. It's not how many get drafted, its how the five play together as a unit and that's coaching. Clemson could run the ball, Miami hasn't been able to for many years. Canes fans haven't seen it much recently, so don't know what OL play is supposed to look like.

The only thing Mirabal should have added was what my college OL used to say: "OL needs to play with the attitude of a DL; guys who spit on the carpet!"

You guys maybe correct about the Clemson OL excelling as a unit even if the individuals were nothing special, but I’m reluctant to use their rushing stats as the end all be all to the conversation.
First, Clemson has had superior talent at WR and QB for the past —— years. As such, defenses were forced to honor the pass and often kept 2 safeties back. This leaves 7 at most in the box and possibly 6 if Clemson was using 3 WR. Then you add home run hitting RB’s who only need a sliver to house it.

My point to all this is that numbers matter. Great QB and WR force defenses to play conservative which improves the numbers in the box for the offense. Give a great RB a little room and that is all she wrote.
I’m not saying Clemson had bad lines but I do find it interesting that the NFL has not cared for Clemson linemen unlike Bama, OSU, LSU. So my vote is for slightly above average line play as a unit, but certainly not special, and greatly aided by superior skill players.

Advertisement
If true, that's what we BEING MISSING at the U.
OFFENSIVE line is key. TVD HAS been giving a gift. I'm PUMPED.

3 draft picks on the offensive line over a decade and winning 2 titles.

I think Miami had 4, Alabama had like 14, Ohio State had 10, and FSU had 7.

So ya… pretty **** average.
You're not understanding what he is saying... To be an above average unit in college the way your game translates to the NFL is irrelevant. It's more about smarts and unity than it is tools that translate to the NFL. In the league you want huge,long and physical. College you can get by without that. We had plenty of lineman back in the days that were **** good in college and were either skipped by or dropped out of the league.

I mean how else do you compare across the entire college football landscape other than draft picks? That’s the only thing that doesn’t take into account QB play and the scheme they’re in making it appear better..

Yes they look good when you turn on the TV and Clemson is getting the ball out quick and has 3 1st round WRs, a 1st round RB, and had 6 years of Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence.

If they had 6-7 draft picks you wouldn’t think anything of it.. but 3 in 10 years? And on their championship winning teams in 2016 - none of them were drafted and from 2018 only 1 was drafted and he didn’t even start as he was a sophomore..
by apples to apples stats.

draft picks are a measure of individuals at given positions.

Clemson's OL play enabled high level QB and WR play because of the fit together.

Look at Miami's below average OL. King was shown to be a very poor fit over time with Miami's OL vs TVD. Yes there were flashes, but overall at best below average, at worst disaster.

The fit that remained consistent was the run game...near complete failure on their best day in short yardage against any team with a pulse.

I believe Miami's new coaching staff is going to focus on fixing that first and foremost. If they do, watch how magically our Canes start winning more, not all of course, against "better" teams and we mercifully won't see repeats of FIU losses. Watch how magically QB and WR play gets even "better".

Just like that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back