Alex Mirabal clinic

Advertisement
I don’t know **** about OL

@gogeta4 and others last year during @Lance Roffers breakdowns he talked a lot about poor communication between the linemen

I’m guessing this is the responsibility of the OL coach or does the OC play a role here?

Seemed like our guys definitely had some issues with technique but communication was poor
It’s a number of things, but mainly it’s familiarity of the guys working together.

The biggest single factor is the line call by the center. Not to call anyone out, but Miami went from a sieve on the OL to markedly improved once Jakai Clark took over at center.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
So question for the Guru's. @Lance Roffers

Did we run a zone blocking scheme under Lashlee?

Is a OL zone scheme the same as a defense zone scheme in that you either block/cover an area or take a man if it's not?

Center play is just so **** critical. Line calls are one thing. But disruption caused by having a lousy center will throw off the best group of guys surrounding him. Pressure from the middle in the pass game forces unexpected roll outs. Unexpected roll out equate to holding penalties on the OTs. In the run game a terrible center will throw off any orchestrated run to either side of the field from gaps 1-6. Can’t hide ****** Center play. But we allowed it for 3 YEARS. And I will call him out, Corey Northwest Broward Doesn’t Produce Talent Gaynor.

So question for the Guru's. @Lance Roffers

Did we run a zone blocking scheme under Lashlee?

Is a OL zone scheme the same as a defense zone scheme in that you either block/cover an area or take a man if it's not?
You will get a few different answers on this but I will give my opinion as I've had a chance to talk ball with Mirabal in the past.

Lashlee ran inside zone (most teams in the country do) and a little outside zone but with the amount of RPO built in they would lock the backside tackle onto the DE rather than have him zone to the play as the read would now become a 2nd level defender. In regards to zone schemes, there are a few different philosophies on how to teach it. Some teams will have a count system built into the zone scheme which is a blend of man principles built into the zone scheme and others are more traditional in the sense of they tend to work gaps/landmarks. Very similar to the spot drop/pattern match debate on defense actually.

Back when he was at FIU/Marshall he was big on the double under/forklift technique taught by guys like Jim McNally and more recently Bill Bedenbaugh at Oklahoma. I believe Mirabal is still teaching that base technique today. The idea is rather than knocking people off the ball like an old 5 man sled, you redirect force and displace defenders. Also helps with keeping your head out of the strike and ideally staying off the ground as your feet are always under you. See the clips below for examples.

Double under tech while hitting the med ball. The old school way of blocking would be striking the defender with your hat and hands going toward the defender not up.

Zone count system (starts around the hour mark)

Advertisement
You will get a few different answers on this but I will give my opinion as I've had a chance to talk ball with Mirabal in the past.

Lashlee ran inside zone (most teams in the country do) and a little outside zone but with the amount of RPO built in they would lock the backside tackle onto the DE rather than have him zone to the play as the read would now become a 2nd level defender. In regards to zone schemes, there are a few different philosophies on how to teach it. Some teams will have a count system built into the zone scheme which is a blend of man principles built into the zone scheme and others are more traditional in the sense of they tend to work gaps/landmarks. Very similar to the spot drop/pattern match debate on defense actually.

Back when he was at FIU/Marshall he was big on the double under/forklift technique taught by guys like Jim McNally and more recently Bill Bedenbaugh at Oklahoma. I believe Mirabal is still teaching that base technique today. The idea is rather than knocking people off the ball like an old 5 man sled, you redirect force and displace defenders. Also helps with keeping your head out of the strike and ideally staying off the ground as your feet are always under you. See the clips below for examples.

Double under tech while hitting the med ball. The old school way of blocking would be striking the defender with your hat and hands going toward the defender not up.

Wow! Thanks for that I definitely learned something.

Great clinic video. The interview video is interesting too. We hear all the time about alpha this and that but the truth of the matter is that the work has to get done in an egoless manner. It’s good to see the relationship and common cause he has with what Mario is trying to do.

Center play is just so **** critical. Line calls are one thing. But disruption caused by having a lousy center will throw off the best group of guys surrounding him. Pressure from the middle in the pass game forces unexpected roll outs. Unexpected roll out equate to holding penalties on the OTs. In the run game a terrible center will throw off any orchestrated run to either side of the field from gaps 1-6. Can’t hide ****** Center play. But we allowed it for 3 YEARS. And I will call him out, Corey Northwest Broward Doesn’t Produce Talent Gaynor.

Great clinic video. The interview video is interesting too. We hear all the time about alpha this and that but the truth of the matter is that the work has to get done in an egoless manner. It’s good to see the relationship and common cause he has with what Mario is trying to do.
I actually told @DMoney this yesterday. After watching a video on our strength coach and having known guys like Mirabal and Orlando the common theme amongst the staff he hires is they all seem to be very straight forward and serious about their jobs. We won't be seeing goofy tweets and cars from these guys.

Advertisement
Oh great, another guy that's never played the game before coaching one of the most important units on a team, yet we won't hire Zo...SMH!!!

Advertisement
I think our problem on the OL this year was lack of athleticism. It shows in the run game when its usually who gets to the spot first. We were fine in pass blocking where it was more communication.

Advertisement
Back