Albany transfer QB Reese Poffenbarger commits to Miami

Said it in another forum…it’s going to be his guys here that for the culture he wants.

He wants Georgia style. QBs there haven’t been spectacular, but the team as a whole is. Hence Guidry raise. Emory Williams breaking his arm for a first down is the football he wants and believes in.

He wants warriors. Guy who will fight for it.

This take is meh from an optics standpoint. I’d be happy if he played 75% as well as baker mayfield.

Advertisement
Here’s my thing.. if you’re going to go the FCS route, his numbers need to be off the charts.

Cam Ward type numbers, or even that Holly Cross kid.

How you go get a dude that was barely any good at that level, and think he’ll be good at this level?

What’s the deal with Mario and QBs? It’s almost as bad as his game day decisions. WTF!!!!
How is leading the FCS in TDs and yards not “off the charts” numbers?

Advertisement
So we didn’t want to bring in Moore and another arm because of worrying about JB and Emory, but we bring in this dude and are still going after Ward and Taulia lol.

Ill wait and see if Taulia gets his waiver approved before anything else.

I thought id be more angry but meh everyone has basically said anything there is to say about the possible outcomes with this guy.

Bleh. We can only hope this guy even comes close to Stetson bennet. We'll see.

I wouldn't really be worried about this if it weren't for the sudden about-face and gaslighting from everyone connected to the program about how this guy is actually a complete baller and basically baker mayfield. Like when they tried to convince everyone that the lower rated guy they got a commit from was really at the top of the board after missing on a 5*

Advertisement
I never said I prefer option 1 to option 2.

In fact, I have been lobbying for us to take two portal QBs this cycle.

AND, for us to snag a QB2 to come in with Nickle.

Go check. Then you'll realize that you are just arguing to argue.
I can assure you the last thing I’m on a message board for is arguing for the sake of arguing lol.

You had said something along the lines of expectations of a caliber recruit.

Genuine question: what is your expectation of a 2nd transfer portal QB? An FCS All-American with multiple years of eligibility is not enough?

If you disagree then all good, and I think we’d both agree him as the top option is unacceptable, but as a 2nd QB? I’ll take it and not look back.

Kid was 11-4 this year. He had one more INT than tvd but almost double the TD's. How many games did TVD play and what was his record? That being said, I don't think this guy is TVD's direct replacement.
That's all true, I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison given competition, but there are arguments for his teams talent vs opponents, etc. Also, I agree. I believe/hope he's a QB2 option.

I can assure you the last thing I’m on a message board for is arguing for the sake of arguing lol.

You had said something along the lines of expectations of a caliber recruit.

Genuine question: what is your expectation of a 2nd transfer portal QB? An FCS All-American with multiple years of eligibility is not enough?

If you disagree then all good, and I think we’d both agree him as the top option is unacceptable, but as a 2nd QB? I’ll take it and not look back.

Cool. You seem like a straight shooter. I appreciate the convo.

I don't dislike Reese. He is a kid. I have no beefs with him, lol. I don't mind the take, because we need depth.

My expectations are for him to come in and compete to be QB1, to be a team player, a hard worker, a positive influence on teammates. I do not expect him to play in games for us.

Those are my expectations of him.

0D05CF4F-1691-4351-8CB2-89D960CD72F5.jpeg

Advertisement
More from ON3:

He was drawn to Dawson because “he’s a small-town guy and I’m a small-town kid, and he has a very similar background to me, started his coaching career at the D-III level and had to work for everything he’s gotten in the world of coaching. And that is through him just completely not caring about naysayers. He cares about the people in the building and the people that matter. … He will let you go out there and make mistakes, will let you go out there and play the way you want to play, but that comes with a price and the price is you give the program everything you have. You have to lead your guys, shake it off and play the next play – a guy like that it’ll come with a ton of success. He’s been looking for a guy to bring in that coincides with (his) belief and that’s why I wound up committing to them.”

Another factor: Jim Kelly. “I’ve been around Jim many a time and had discussions with him throughout this process,”

This is pretty cool

you dont think tvd would put up better numbers against FCS teams?
Hard to say, what version of TVD will be playing lol? I would guess so but what I'm saying is this dude would have been a good back up when TVD was hurt and throwing to the wrong color jersey. That's what we were missing last year and I think this dude fills that void.. a very qualified back up. I don't think he's meant to be TVD's replacement.. I sure hope not. He could be the guy the team practices with in the spring while we wait on the Wolf, who better get here directly.

View attachment 277554

The Miami Hurricanes landed a commitment from Albany transfer quarterback Reese Poffenbarger on Monday afternoon. After a long and winding portal search for a QB, Mario Cristobal and staff are excited about what Poffenbarger brings to the table.

Originally from Middletown, Maryland, Poffenbarger began his career at Old Dominion in 2021 before redshirting and transferring to Albany. In his first season with the Great Danes, “Big Poff” won conference rookie of the year honors as well as FCS Rookie of the Year.

After Tyler Van Dyke entered the portal, Cristobal’s main priority has been grabbing a QB – albeit the search took much longer than the Canes staff anticipated or had hoped for, Poffenbarger comes to Coral Gables with big-time production and arm talent.

He has thrown for 60 TDs with 17 INTs over the last two seasons, along with 6,613 yards and a completion percentage of 59.9%.

View attachment 277553

Poffenbarger is listed at 6-feet, 208 pounds and helped lead Albany to an 11-4 record this season, including a conference title — it was the first in school history.

Poffenbarger now joins a Canes QB roster which includes Emory Williams and Jacurri Brown — and there is hope that the injured Williams could be ready for a return in the spring.
This can’t be the end game

Advertisement
Hard to say, what version of TVD will be playing lol? I would guess so but what I'm saying is this dude would have been a good back up when TVD was hurt and throwing to the wrong color jersey. That's what we were missing last year and I think this dude fills that void.. a very qualified back up. I don't think he's meant to be TVD's replacement.. I sure hope not. He could be the guy the team practices with in the spring while we wait on the Wolf, who better get here directly.
dude against FCS comp, tvd would light it up. it wasn't like Hufflepuff was playing fbs teams.

That's all true, I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison given competition, but there are arguments for his teams talent vs opponents, etc. Also, I agree. I believe/hope he's a QB2 option.
Yeah I don't want to compare him to TVD apples to apples. I'm going with better be qb2.

So we didn’t want to bring in Moore and another arm because of worrying about JB and Emory, but we bring in this dude and are still going after Ward and Taulia lol.
They didn't want to bring in an unproven kid with multiple years of eligibility who expected to be handed the started job. It's why Nelson wound up at Boise. Not sure on Moore but I'm sure he was ok backing up Gabriel given how close he was to going to Oregon in the first place.

Advertisement
Back