Albany transfer QB Reese Poffenbarger commits to Miami

View as article
Harrison Ford Running GIF by Indiana Jones

Advertisement
Advertisement
View attachment 277554

The Miami Hurricanes landed a commitment from Albany transfer quarterback Reese Poffenbarger on Monday afternoon. After a long and winding portal search for a QB, Mario Cristobal and staff are excited about what Poffenbarger brings to the table.

Originally from Middletown, Maryland, Poffenbarger began his career at Old Dominion in 2021 before redshirting and transferring to Albany. In his first season with the Great Danes, “Big Poff” won conference rookie of the year honors as well as FCS Rookie of the Year.

After Tyler Van Dyke entered the portal, Cristobal’s main priority has been grabbing a QB – albeit the search took much longer than the Canes staff anticipated or had hoped for, Poffenbarger comes to Coral Gables with big-time production and arm talent.

He has thrown for 60 TDs with 17 INTs over the last two seasons, along with 6,613 yards and a completion percentage of 59.9%.

View attachment 277553

Poffenbarger is listed at 6-feet, 208 pounds and helped lead Albany to an 11-4 record this season, including a conference title — it was the first in school history.

Poffenbarger now joins a Canes QB roster which includes Emory Williams and Jacurri Brown — and there is hope that the injured Williams could be ready for a return in the spring.
It appears that Dawson is not what he’s talked up to be. Hope he can focus on Development, utilizing TE’s in the passing game, & being creative with plays for Saturday’s. Looking forward to seeing something unpredictable. Go Canes!

Advertisement

@Memnon hey bro, you said after he committed you’d give ur take on the film - and maybe even a question or two I had below!!! Well…he committed!! lol

I’m all about watching film….the guy has it. Simple as that. At first glance of reading the 247 article on him, I said no thanks, strictly due to his rushing numbers as I’ve been a big time advocate for us needing a dual threat guy - BUT THEN I watched the film. This guy chooses to pass first and run when he needs to run - and make no mistake about it, he can SCOOT.

My film observations:

1) 35 second mark STRIKE
2) 46 second mark 50+ yard touchdown run vs Marshall
3) 55 second mark 40+ yard touchdown run vs Hawaii
4) 1 minute 50 second mark dime after going through his initial read, avoids a sack, rolls out and throws a strike…displays strong pocket awareness
5) 3 minute 57 second mark STRIKE - Sideline catches and tight windows with Restrepo elite route running
6) 4 minute 10 seconds mark - roll out and delivers an absolute dime
7) 4 minutes 40 seconds throws down the seam, which is invaluable for a quarterback that likes to throw the deep passes
8) 5 minutes 42 second mark, ridiculous accuracy- I’m done, kid is a frickin take, FCS be darned
9) 6 minute 12 second mark– to top it off kid has some Moxie with them.

Are we after this guy? After watching the film, and judging this guy alone aside from anyone else, what are your thoughts? Take or nah?

@Coach Macho
@Cribby
@DMoney
@Memnon
@LuCane

Kids got some Jordan Travis to his game…

The good news is he elevates the room...

That he elevates the room, is also the bad news...

Middle of the road news is that this is the type of kid Mario should have brought in LAST YEAR, when Jake bolted and TVD was all we had left...
Well said brother

Kid will probably be taking some shrapnel because of the gross negligence at the top but just another day managing QBs under Mario

Advertisement
I don’t understand the hate for this pickup.
There is only reason--Poff played in a lower division.

Ironic that we play in the ACC and people here arrogantly have their nose pointed up to an FCS transfer as if the ACC has done a **** thing lately. Same funny ***** that have been pining for Cam Ward quickly forget he got his start at Incarnate Word. Some people need to shut the **** up and quit ****ting on this kid before he even gets here. Big picture--QB room is dirty asscrack right now. Need depth, this guy is serviceable.

Advertisement
If this is the direction they are going, why not see if John Matocha wants to use his COVID year. At least we'd have some competition, and ESPNews will have the "Miami has the NCAA all-time touchdown leader as their back up quarterback" narrative.

Well said brother

Kid will probably be taking some shrapnel because of the gross negligence at the top but just another day managing QBs under Mario
I hope this dude balls out. But really actually plays well, not Kool Aid man spring highlight reporting again...

I want to see his best Baker OU swagger dominate UF

Advertisement
Back