Alabama offers Chad Thomas.

Advertisement
as good as Miami's music program is, there is almost 0% chance that a football player can balance the insane load of classes AND practice.

We ain't talking about Med School here, bro. The dude plays the ******* tuba and wants to learn how to mix some beats. Dudes on heroin pull that **** off every day.

LOL. I've played the trombone and euphonium in high school, still have my trombone, and once you've got the basics down its pretty easy to do. It requires a lot of practice especially if he's planning to do jazz, but not to the point where he wouldn't be able to put in work on the field.

The music program may require more time than any other major at UM. It's brutal. Dudes on drugs wanting to mix beats aren't what it's about. The music program is not about getting the "basics" down. Thats why its ranked so highly - they go way beyond the basics which is an extremely challenging curriculum. And the marching band is for anyone at UM, not necessarily music majors. It's a low priority.

as good as Miami's music program is, there is almost 0% chance that a football player can balance the insane load of classes AND practice.

We ain't talking about Med School here, bro. The dude plays the ******* tuba and wants to learn how to mix some beats. Dudes on heroin pull that **** off every day.

LOL. I've played the trombone and euphonium in high school, still have my trombone, and once you've got the basics down its pretty easy to do. It requires a lot of practice especially if he's planning to do jazz, but not to the point where he wouldn't be able to put in work on the field.

The music program may require more time than any other major at UM. It's brutal. Dudes on drugs wanting to mix beats aren't what it's about. The music program is not about getting the "basics" down. Thats why its ranked so highly - they go way beyond the basics which is an extremely challenging curriculum. And the marching band is for anyone at UM, not necessarily music majors. It's a low priority.

RLII spits beats. Chad is one of the better piano players in the state. BIG difference.

RLII spits beats. Chad is one of the better piano players in the state. BIG difference.

That talented? He should've went to Dillard. They have one of the best jazz bands in the country.

The big issue here is not Bama, it is btw and Ice. Until I see otherwise, I assume every ice player will go elsewhere. No matter how good Chad is, you just can't get hope up. We have better chance for a kid at that HS on the LSU campus that Miles is after than a btw kid. Maybe we hold on to Jackson because Ice just got his hands on him this year, but as we saw he started wavering very quick. I expect Nigel to go somehwere else also. Hope I am wrong, but that vemon last year sends clear picture to me. If Chad picks someone else, it will be clear. The only football school with a great music program so dear to him is THE U. Any other choice will smell and smell badly.

Advertisement
I think there may be a little truth in a lot that has been said in this thread. But the #1 thing that our fans have not come to grip with is that Miami is not the "Cool" program in these kids minds that it used to be. We all know the cold hard truth... we haven't won in 10 years. I'm guilty of it too. But the BTW kids probably just don't look at Miami as an elite program. Gotta show 'em on the field.

The other factor that I don't see discussed much is the fact that so much more information is available to these kids than even 10-20 years ago. It's the "world is flat" mentality. These kids from Miami used to get a brochure from the University of Georgia or Alabama. Now they can watch a video of Georgia's facilities with a click of a button, get a video text from Amari Cooper showing off his dorm, etc...You may think I'm crazy, but I think this has had an effect on recruiting. Kids are no longer as insulated as they once were.

Bottom line: This is less about Ice steering kids away from Miami and more about the above, IMO.

I think there may be a little truth in a lot that has been said in this thread. But the #1 thing that our fans have not come to grip with is that Miami is not the "Cool" program in these kids minds that it used to be. We all know the cold hard truth... we haven't won in 10 years. I'm guilty of it too. But the BTW kids probably just don't look at Miami as an elite program. Gotta show 'em on the field.

I've thought the same thing as well...then I saw this.

One of the classic bar room questions among college football fans is, "If you could play for any school in the country, where would you go?" Student Sports asked that exact question to 2,000 current high school football players, and their answers were a little surprising.
The top choice of high school football players was Florida, a full 2 percent ahead of second-place Oregon. Both of those schools make sense, as they're among the sport's big name, glamor teams. Alabama was tied for third, which is a bit surprising considering how much success it has had over the past several years.
What was really surprising, though, is that schools like Cal, Stanford and UCLA ranked ahead of both Texas and Oklahoma, two of the sport's grandest blue bloods. Heck, the Longhorns and Sooners were tied with Vanderbilt on the list.
The SEC and Pac-12 dominate the list, with a good number of Big 12 thrown into the mix as well. Miami and Florida State both scored highly from the ACC, but Virginia Tech was the only other ACC team to make the list. Ohio State was the only Big Ten team to register more than 1 percent of the player vote.
Here's the list's top 10 or so, via Student Sports:

Rank School %
1 Florida 11
2 Oregon 9
T3 Alabama 7
T3 Miami 7
T3 USC 7
T3 Georgia 7
T3 LSU 7
T8 Florida State 4
T8 California 4
T8 Stanford 4

I definitely agree that all of the technology and the impact it has had on recruiting has hurt Miami though. There is no doubt.

But the BTW kids probably just don't look at Miami as an elite program.

That's especially true when their felonious Director of Football Operations Beanbag is openly recruiting for fsu at Booger T. Mix in that The Don fired their HC a couple years ago, and you have a recipe for fvckery at Booger T, which is exactly what we're seeing.

All you dudes who think this is all about winning NCs are suckers. fsu ain't won **** for longer than us, but they don't have problems at Booger T. And they're in a redneck shythole with nothing to do.

Chad goes to a music school for his actual high school. He probably has a good understanding of the good music programs in the nation.

Advertisement

The other factor that I don't see discussed much is the fact that so much more information is available to these kids than even 10-20 years ago. It's the "world is flat" mentality. These kids from Miami used to get a brochure from the University of Georgia or Alabama. Now they can watch a video of Georgia's facilities with a click of a button, get a video text from Amari Cooper showing off his dorm, etc...You may think I'm crazy, but I think this has had an effect on recruiting. Kids are no longer as insulated as they once were.

Bottom line: This is less about Ice steering kids away from Miami and more about the above, IMO.

A lot of truth in what you say, but btw seems to be a special case. None of Ice's kids go to THE U since he was canned. From pipeline to water drain--all since he got fired. I get that we have lost much of our boxoffice with kids and nothing but winning will fix that. But btw wnet from farm school to "any place else school". Maybe Chad or Nigel will break that trend, but I have doubts. If we stike out on all btw kids again this year, I vote we give them a 3 year probation and Ice a show cause.

A lot of truth in what you say, but btw seems to be a special case. None of Ice's kids go to THE U since he was canned. From pipeline to water drain--all since he got fired. I get that we have lost much of our boxoffice with kids and nothing but winning will fix that. But btw wnet from farm school to "any place else school". Maybe Chad or Nigel will break that trend, but I have doubts. If we stike out on all btw kids again this year, I vote we give them a 3 year probation and Ice a show cause.

Doesn't this really boil down to 2 kids? Thomas and Kirkland? Harris was not recruited as a QB. He made a good decision for himself. From what I've been told, both Thomas and Kirkland considered Miami 'til the very end. If you believe some, both were "silents" at one point. They chose different schools. It happens. There is no doubt that BTW is not the feeder school it once was. But I don't buy these conspiracy theories regarding Ice.

Advertisement
Apparently Ice just took his kids on trips to Alabama and FSU for "a point of reference" with recruiting. Yes, Nigel just committed to us, but....

Wonder if coaches from Tally Lincoln and Hoover are going to be organizing team trips to Miami as a "point of reference" any time soon.

Apparently Ice just took his kids on trips to Alabama and FSU for "a point of reference" with recruiting. Yes, Nigel just committed to us, but....

Wonder if coaches from Tally Lincoln and Hoover are going to be organizing team trips to Miami as a "point of reference" any time soon.

The BTW kids camped at UM.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back