Alabama Breaks Canes Draft Record - Most Drafted from One Roster

PBJFanatic

Sophomore
Phidarian Mathis was selected in the second round of the NFL Draft, No. 47 overall, by the Washington Commanders on Friday, and in doing so, helped Alabama football make NFL history.

Mathis became the 39th player taken from Alabama's 2017 team, breaking a tie with 2001 Miami for most draft picks from one college football team. Entering Friday, both the Hurricanes and the Crimson Tide were tied at 38 apiece.

Link: https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/stor...-draft-record-most-picks-one-team/7414130001/

Advertisement
Advertisement
It will be interesting to compare in a few years and see the careers of players from each roster. I would bet Miami still comes out on top in terms of production on star power at the next level.

Whoop de do

College Football Happy Dance GIF by SEC Network

Advertisement
Advertisement
And they are almost certainly going to break the streak for years with a first round pick next year too.

And they are almost certainly going to break the streak for years with a first round pick next year too.
Which for a lot of young Canes fans should be a pretty eye opening stat showing what we are actually capable of

It’s not the part about Bama that’s surprising, it’s that another team actually did the same thing. Watching what Bama has done the last 10 years seems impossible but we had that kind of run, albeit shorter

We did it without this NCAA/Bama mafia deal and without dropping mega bags left and right

Never ceases to amaze me what Miami accomplished

Advertisement
Which for a lot of young Canes fans should be a pretty eye opening stat showing what we are actually capable of

It’s not the part about Bama that’s surprising, it’s that another team actually did the same thing. Watching what Bama has done the last 10 years seems impossible but we had that kind of run, albeit shorter

We did it without this NCAA/Bama mafia deal and without dropping mega bags left and right

Never ceases to amaze me what Miami accomplished
I'll take the 2001 team over Bama's best, but although we stacked talent there is no comparing the success that Bama has had over that streak winning 6 titles while we won 1. They also have had 45 1st rounders over that 14 year period compared to Miami's 30.

Don't get me wrong, your point about Miami accomplishing so much without the advantages that Bama has is legit, but their success has been on another level.

I'll take the 2001 team over Bama's best, but although we stacked talent there is no comparing the success that Bama has had over that streak winning 6 titles while we won 1. They also have had 45 1st rounders over that 14 year period compared to Miami's 30.

Don't get me wrong, your point about Miami accomplishing so much without the advantages that Bama has is legit, but their success has been on another level.
Yeah maybe I worded some of that incorrectly

Bama is on another level absolutely

Just putting it in relative terms

Advertisement
Back