Al Golden

Duke wasn't an evaluation. He was obvious. Same with Flowers, Bush, Howard. Credit for signing them though. Jenkins was a Dorito eval. Credit given. Edwards, meh. Did nothing at UM and had to leave to get burn. No credit. Hurns and Herndon, good evals.

If you're looking at evals, however, you have to remember Golden signed >125 kids, so you can't say he was good at evals based on a handful.

What about Larry Hope, Vernon Davis, Nate Dortch, R. Mayes, Knowles, K. Hester, M. Gayot at DB?

What about Brandon Loftus, Bar Milo, Jahair Jones, Hayden Mahoney, Gall, Knighton at OL?

What about Jalen Grimble, Dequan Ivery, Briscoe, E. Moore, J. Brown, R. Fines on DL?

What about Jerome Washington and J. O'Donnell at TE?

Danny Dillard at FB? D'Mauri Jones, Jontaveous Carter at WR?
Thurston Armbrister, Njoku, Herndon, Hurns, were not highly ranked. All I am saying is that he seemed to have a better eye for talent than the last two coaches we had. He just couldn't coach.

Advertisement
Could you imagine in 2014 when everyone wanted Al Golden fired that I told you the Texas defensive coordinator who just gave up 1000 yards to BYU will be your head coach in 4 years. You would have said to fold the program instantly. We refuse to hire a good head coach

Could you imagine in 2014 when everyone wanted Al Golden fired that I told you the Texas defensive coordinator who just gave up 1000 yards to BYU will be your head coach in 4 years. You would have said to fold the program instantly. We refuse to hire a good head coach
We knew that last part by 2014.

Advertisement
Thurston Armbrister, Njoku, Herndon, Hurns, were not highly ranked. All I am saying is that he seemed to have a better eye for talent than the last two coaches we had. He just couldn't coach.
I don't agree. You're listing a few kids out of 130 kids and saying that proves his eye for talent. Richt took fewer kids (3 years vs. 5 and smaller classes). I'm critical of his evals but he still found some decent guys. If you just are trying to focus on underrated guys I guess that's a different discussion. But IMO none of these guys have been good evaluators. Even if one is less sucky than the others doesn't really mean he's good.

Golden's problem wasn't just coaching. He was not a good evaluator or recruiter or roster manager or staff manager or leader. He sucked at it all, IMO.

Advertisement
The guy couldn’t outcoach his way out of a paper bag but he could evaluate and recruit. Duke Johnson, Gus Edwards, Rayshawn Jenkins, Hurns, Herndon. These are all guys who are NFL players. There are plenty more. I dont see the playmakers on this team.
Guys like Duke Johnson were coming here even if I wash the head coach.

Advertisement
Back