Al Golden trying to force the juniors to stay?

Bccrhp

Sophomore
What of Miami tackle Ereck Flowers? Flowers has told people he’s not thinking about the draft. Take it one step further and I’m told Hurricane coach Al Golden is pushing hard to get his underclassmen to return in 2015. Several sources tell me the non-seniors have been told not to speak with agents or there will be consequences.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/133772/ereck-flowers

Advertisement
Did anyone think that he would actually put the kids best interest before his own?

There is a policy in place. The policy is ridiculous, but Golden didn't create it, and the excerpt above does not explain it. I assume for the moment that the school is only attempting to enforce its written rule. If it is going beyond the over the top rule, then all players should probably just quit the team.

"University of Miami football student-athletes, their parents, or representatives are not permitted to speak to Covered Individuals until the student-athlete has exhausted his eligibility. There is an exception to this rule if the student-athlete requests to speak to an agent and the athletic department coordinates and participates in the meeting that will take place in UM athletic facilities."

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205561532

There is a policy in place. The policy is ridiculous, but Golden didn't create it, and the excerpt above does not explain it. I assume for the moment that the school is only attempting to enforce its written rule. If it is going beyond the over the top rule, then all players should probably just quit the team.

"University of Miami football student-athletes, their parents, or representatives are not permitted to speak to Covered Individuals until the student-athlete has exhausted his eligibility. There is an exception to this rule if the student-athlete requests to speak to an agent and the athletic department coordinates and participates in the meeting that will take place in UM athletic facilities."

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205561532

Sounds like to me that they've been told don't come asking to have UM coordinate meetings.

Advertisement
Well if he wants to play in the bowl game then this makes sense, he would be deemed ineligible if he were to talk to an agent before then. Afterwards he can tell AG to go suck a fat ****

I think they can't accept benefits from an agent or agree to representation, but I believe they can meet with them and still retain their amateur status.

Dapper, that correct?

I could understand why they can't speak to agents but ****. You could not win with them this season why would next year be different.

I think they can't accept benefits from an agent or agree to representation, but I believe they can meet with them and still retain their amateur status.

Dapper, that correct?

You are correct that players can meet with agents and have discussion, yet still retain eligibility. UM's rule goes way beyond NCAA requirements. UM will sanction a player for failing to get permission from UM before meeting with an agent and/or failing to meet with an agent in a manner that is acceptable to UM (which normally requires that UM admins or coaches participate in, or chaperone, said meeting).

Advertisement

Dapper, that correct?

You are correct that players can meet with agents and have discussion, yet still retain eligibility. UM's rule goes way beyond NCAA requirements. UM will sanction a player for failing to get permission from UM before meeting with an agent and/or failing to meet with an agent in a manner that is acceptable to UM (which normally requires that UM admins or coaches participate in, or chaperone, said meeting).

So, in other words, ALfraud is going above and beyond that.

Thanks Dapper. Given that we are on the verge of playing for the ACC coastal and the immense attention that our program gets from the national media, I see why they have such a strict rule in place. Gotta look out for the kids. Meanwhile in Tallahassee....

Advertisement

Dapper, that correct?

So, in other words, ALfraud is going above and beyond that.

I don't believe Al had anything to do with the rule. It was a reaction to Shapiro (remember, he had an athlete agent firm). It's over the top, and it's not necessary, but it was included in the COI Public Infractions Report as a "corrective action" taken by UM, so one could argue that the policy helped mitigate sanctions UM got. Not saying it's a valid argument (especially at this point), but that's the reason the policy was instituted. It applies to football and basketball players.

Duke's mom's discussion with Drew Rosenhaus at the Pitt game probably violated the policy. Will UM suspend Duke for the bowl?

It's not golden in this case, cut the lies. It's school policy. Be intelligent or your legit issues don't get considered. This is also over caution from Shapiro fallout.

and yes I want him gone, but facts are facts

Further evidence of the racist mentality in the Hecht. Treating the players like they are owned slaves. The fact that Randy was fired for the same **** thing as this used car salesman.

It's really getting disgusting.

Advertisement
Further evidence of the racist mentality in the Hecht. Treating the players like they are owned slaves. The fact that Randy was fired for the same **** thing as this used car salesman.

It's really getting disgusting.

Why? The white kids are allowed to speak to agents? C'mon man, you're better than this/

So, if Duke were to talk to an agent, he would be suspended? That'll help with recruiting.

Stop with the bull Crap in this thread. The no contact rule was put in back in AG's 2nd year when a bunch of kids got hustled by agents into thinking they would get drafted and most of them barely were picked up by teams as free agents contracts. Brandon Washington went out an got a Condo on the beach, another dude bought his mom a car an well that went back. Were as if these kids had stayed another year they would have developed more.

Here is an article about the Policy and how it came to be.
http://blog.allcanes.com/agent-policy-aimed-at-limiting-distractions

Here is the Original Forbes article about UM's Agent Contact Limitation Policy
http://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmoney/2012/05/14/university-of-miami-unveils-football-agent-policy-aimed-at-limiting-distractions/

A lot of schools have started to implement this no contact policy for agents. So do your research before insighting needless drama UM has enough issues right now.

Go Canes

Last edited:

Dapper, that correct?

Thanks for the clarification. If they're going to leave I doubt they give much of a **** about being sanctioned by the university.

Advertisement
Back