Al Golden said something I actually agree with

Republicane

Spirited but Cordial
Even though he is still partially wrong. In defending his seven losses, Golden offered this up as one of the reasons:

"The red zone offense was not great, we needed more touchdowns."

I can't believe I'm going to say this but, I agree with Al Golden. The problem is, Golden presents that idea like he has zero control over actually getting TD's instead of FG's. He's the one who decides if they're going to send out the FG team. He's the one who decides if they go for it on fourth down. I keep waiting for coaches to realize that a TD and XP is worth more than two times as much as FG and hence worth taking a little bit more or a risk to get one, but they keep joyfully sending out the FG team. Because losing by the book is better than losing unconventionally while trying harder to win.

When your defense has been trash for years, you have to realize at some point that forget forcing a punt, just allowing a FG is a win for you. If your defense is poor, and your offense is unreliable that means you can't just trade FG's. Eventually they'll score TD's, you won't, and then you'll lose the game. Especially against teams with high powered offenses that you need the stars to align for just so you can keep up with them offensively.

I understand the mindset of getting down close to the end zone and not wanting to come away empty handed but at some point you need to start thinking through a lens of probability and and not through a lens of psychology. Let's look at Golden's decision making on red zone FG's in this year's losses.

vs. Louisville
2Q 7-7 Miami: 4th and 5 from the 7: Made FG. (Next possession Louisville returns subsequent KO for a TD)
3Q 14-10 UL leads. Miami:4th and G from the UL 7: Made FG (Forces UL punt)

Six points is okay, but converting just one of those opportunities would have given them more points than they gained on both, which is exactly what the UL KO TD did. Score two TD's and Miami is leading and suddenly it's UL's green QB who is playing from behind instead of Miami's. Also worth noting it's that same green QB who would have had to drive UL at least 93 yards TWICE to score TD's had Miami not converted. But even if they would have converted both into TD's they still would have lost.

vs. Nebraska
4Q 31-21 Nebraska leads. Miami 4th and G from the 18: Made FG (Next possession NU kicks a FG to make it 34-21)

No second guessing here, Golden made the right decision. But even if they score a TD on this drive instead of a FG, they still lose.

vs. GT
3Q 21-14 GT leads. Miami: 4th and 5 from the 10. Made FG (Next GT possession is 13 play, 7 minute, TD drive)

My personal philosophy would be in most instances 4th and anything from inside the 10, I'm going for it. But a measly 4th and 5? It should be a no-brainer. If you don't get it, they have to go 95 yards. If you go for it, and score they might still score a TD after that but at least it would be breaking a tie instead of making the lead two scores. They likely still lose.

vs. FSU
2Q 23-10 Miami leads. Miami: 4th and 3 from the 12: Missed FG (Next FSU possession is an INT)

You've got the #1 team in the country on the ropes and could go up by 20 points in the first half. That's worth the risk of going for it. If Miami doesn't convert and FSU goes 90 yards for a TD, so be it. You aren't going to knock out Mike Tyson with jabs. You have to throw haymakers when you have the opportunity.

vs. UVa
2Q 10-7 UVa leads. Miami: 4th and 3 from the 17: Blocked FG (Returned to the 3, luckily Mike London is also a coward and he kicks a FG)

It's three yards but you're playing for the tie in the second quarter? Quit being a ***** Golden. Luckily it didn't matter as Al got thrashed by the Fightin' Londons.

vs. Pitt
3Q 28-20 Pitt leads. Miami 4th and 10 from the 19: Made FG (Next possession was a UVa punt)

I would have been fine with it had he gone for it, but kicking the FG was the right move. It wouldn't have made a difference in the final result.

vs. So. Carolina
1Q 0-0. Miami 4th and 8 from the 10: Made FG
2Q 3-0 Miami leads. Miami 4th and 3 from the 9: Made FG

A meaningless bowl game with fans demanding a victory and Golden still can't find the testicular fortitude to try and jump on the Gamecocks early. Once again, you don't convert either and USC has to go 90+ yards twice to score TD's. But it's still not as dumb as sending out Badgley to kick a 50+ yarder on 4th and 9 from the 33. Going strictly by the numbers, Miami wins if Golden isn't so scared and conservative.

This isn't contained only to losses, Al's "by the book" philosophy rears its ugly head in victories too.

4th & G from the FAMU 3 (made)
4th & G from the FAMU 6 (made)
4th & 6 from the FAMU 15 (missed)
4th & 2 from the Duke 12 (made)
4th & 6 from the UC 8 (made)

So in some of the losses it really wouldn't have mattered, and in the games where it would have, it was Golden's ridiculous safety first conservatism that ****ed him over not the failure of some magical touchdown fairy sprinkling 7 point dust on the offense to appear. Golden correctly identified a problem but as per usual, refuses to acknowledge that it was caused by him and his clenched **** coaching philosophy.

Advertisement
But according to sexually ambiguous posters like DeadPoets, GoRdlen deserves another year?

What's gotten into that fahgott brain of his?

Ok John Madden. In my expert football opinion, we needed to score more touchdowns, and give up less touchdowns, and our season could have been better.

DAAAANG... thats all? no wonder there's never been an adjustment... his adjustment is just saying.. "Hey we need to score more TD's".

Ok John Madden. In my expert football opinion, we needed to score more touchdowns, and give up less touchdowns, and our season could have been better.

DAAAANG... thats all? no wonder there's never been an adjustment... his adjustment is just saying.. "Hey we need to score more TD's".

There is so much ego involved in coaching that Golden just like most other coaches sees **** not working and says, "Well my system is infallible so it must be the players aren't good enough, they aren't executing it right, or the coordinator isn't calling the right plays..." Because in his mind and the Big-10 coaching manual it says, "Never leave points on the board even if what you're risking isn't half of what you'd be receiving." So Golden keeps right on doing dumb **** over and over because he's a dangerous combination of dumb and arrogant.

Advertisement
While there is no doubt that Golden is ridiculously conservative, I think the FGs are more a product of our 3rd down conversion failures than his conservative nature.

Advertisement
While there is no doubt that Golden is ridiculously conservative, I think the FGs are more a product of our 3rd down conversion failures than his conservative nature.
And failure of 3rd down conversions is a result of said conservative play calling. Like running at 9 guys stacked in the box, or better yet a swing pass to coley at the line of scrimmage.

He says that like its a great or legit reason. That's like a coach of a 6-7 team saying "we lost 7 games, we need to score more "

I think it's correct to look at this probabilistically, and not through the lens of coaching lore/psychology. But it may be that the conservatism takes over because the probability calculations are nebulous.

The Expected Value of a field goal is (3 points x your kicker's percentage at that range) - (7 points x probability of a block run back for a TD).

The Expected Value of going for it is harder to calculate: (7 points x your team's percentage putting it into the end zone from this field position) - (7 points x probability of a turnover run back for TD).

The EV of a field goal is evaluated once, usually on 4th down. The EV of going for it keeps changing if the team makes first downs before getting into the end zone. Also, the probability of success on a FG is determined by your kicker's accuracy. The probability of scoring a TD from a given field position, though, derives from far more factors -- one of which is whether you ever go for it, or whether you always kick field goals!

These calculations are obviously too hard to do on the sidelines. So coaches have to go with their instinctual read of the probabilities. A guy who's got a high risk tolerance will be more aggressive, and Al will be Al.

Last edited:
If he thought the offense was bad this year, wait until Duke's gone and his ability to consistently make two defenders miss in the backfield and make something out of nothing.

Advertisement
So Miami was tied for second for field goals attempted inside 29 yards out and tied for second in field goals made at 10. Florida was #57 with 5 field goals. The closest field goal we kicked was from the 23 yard line which means we were sitting at 4th and 6. Against South Carolina we kicked from the 27 and 26 yard line and that was early in the game.

The real problem was our red zone efficiency was #85. And it was a dreadful 66.67% our last 3 games.

Last edited:
Coley has never had any success anywhere converting 3rd downs. It is reason number one we had so many stalled drives, including the red zone. Our 3rd down percentage goes up and we win 2-3 more games, including FSU. Now, that's not the only darn problem, as there are plenty, but third downs are so crucial, especially heading towards the end zone.

Advertisement
I think if we can find a way to score more points than our opponents by the time the clock expires we should win the majority of our games.

he never defends coley like he does coach d

Yes, this is true. I always have found this very odd. And troubling.

Nobody here thinks Coley is perfect, but after the Louisville game, he admitted he screwed up by not being on the sideline with Kaaya. He corrected it. When has Golden ever admitted being wrong, much less corrected a problem. The guy is in denial. I mean even if he wanted to do the bare minimum this offseason you would think hiring a special teams coach would be the one thing he could do without firing somebody. But that would be admiting he did a horrible job with ST.

Al Golden has YET to field a team that is effective in all three phases of the game.

Advertisement
Back