Al Golden on Stephen Morris

Golden stood by Jacory. He's not abandoning Morris under any circumstance.

Jacory Harris was our best option at QB his Senior year..... that BC game was his worst game of the entire season.

No he wasn't. That season was a wash, Morris should have been the starter for the last few games at least.

why? to tell every quarterback recruit that turning your career around and having a great senior season will result in you getting benched to prepare for next year because you aren't in bowl contention?

How did Jacory turn his career around? Because he didn't lead the entire nation in INT's again? I would have gladly watched Morris play over Jacory and get some reps for the following season. I don't buy that recruiting would have been effected at all by that decision.

he had 19 TDs and 5 INTs on the season going into the boston college game and ended up 20th in the country in passer rating despite 4 INTs against BC. he had a very good senior year.

if for some insane reason we were to somehow drop the next 3 games while morris plays well, should we bench morris for williams since we wouldn't be making a bcs game?

Advertisement
Jacory Harris was our best option at QB his Senior year..... that BC game was his worst game of the entire season.

No he wasn't. That season was a wash, Morris should have been the starter for the last few games at least.

why? to tell every quarterback recruit that turning your career around and having a great senior season will result in you getting benched to prepare for next year because you aren't in bowl contention?

How did Jacory turn his career around? Because he didn't lead the entire nation in INT's again? I would have gladly watched Morris play over Jacory and get some reps for the following season. I don't buy that recruiting would have been effected at all by that decision.

he had 19 TDs and 5 INTs on the season going into the boston college game and ended up 20th in the country in passer rating despite 4 INTs against BC. he had a very good senior year.

if for some insane reason we were to somehow drop the next 3 games while morris plays well, should we bench morris for williams since we wouldn't be making a bcs game?

Jacory Harris threw 20 TD's to 9 INT's his senior season. Earth shattering numbers right there.

If any QB at Miami is playing like **** I'm all for the backup getting a shot until the starter gets his head back in the game. I'm all for letting competition determine the starter at any position.

Jacory Harris threw 20 TD's to 9 INT's his senior season. Earth shattering numbers right there.

If any QB at Miami is playing like **** I'm all for the backup getting a shot until the starter gets his head back in the game. I'm all for letting competition determine the starter at any position.

1 td and 4 ints came in the last game of the season. for the year, he wasn't spectacular, but he also wasn't playing poorly. the biggest knock on jacory was interceptions and he made it through 10 games with only 5 of them. that was a huge turnaround for his career and didn't warrant a benching.

Last edited:
I'm dying at morris was clutch. Handing the ball off makes you clutch??? I'm so lost. We were running and only threw it when it was the last resort on that last drive. My senior qb is playing like complete **** and doing freshman acts. The kid ran out of a clean pocket and brought pressure on himself then that not the kicker he then throws a dumb *** prayer that gets picked smh. Your senior qb should never be doing that EVER!!!

The thing that stood out to me the most after re-watching the game, is how many times morris had an opportunity to step up in the pocket or to extend the play by sliding around in the pocket with confidence and allow his receivers to get open and he just refused and threw it into coverage. He seems terrified to plant that foot with bodies around him.

Our playcalling was very predictable at times again this game. Trying to get cute when its not necessary, and our complete lack of execution inside the 10 is troubling.

Advertisement

1 td and 4 ints came in the last game of the season. for the year, he wasn't spectacular, but he also wasn't playing poorly. the biggest knock on jacory was interceptions and he made it through 10 games with only 5 of them. that was a huge turnaround for his career and didn't warrant a benching.

I don't give a **** what he did the last game of the season. He was 20 and 9 for his Senior season. You can't throw stats out the window when it suits you. Jacory was very average his entire career at Miami and his senior season was just ok which the 6-6 record clearly indicates.

I don't give a **** what he did the last game of the season. He was 20 and 9 for his Senior season. You can't throw stats out the window when it suits you. Jacory was very average his entire career at Miami and his senior season was just ok which the 6-6 record clearly indicates.

so we should go ahead an bench morris now then? he has 9 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in his senior season. he's statistically worse than jacory was in his last year. according to your logic, williams should be the starter because, unlike harris, morris is actually playing like sh*t his senior year.

Last edited:

Of course it is relevant to disregard the stats of his last game in argument about whether or not he should've been benched. Going into the last game, he had 19 TD's and 5 INT's. Not too shabby a ratio. You can't bench him after he plays like **** the last game. It's the last game.

I woulda pulled him out after 3rd pick - win or lose we still woulda run it Down their throat - consistency is the name of the game at any position - three fumbles and your keeping him in?

Advertisement

so we should go ahead an bench morris now then? he has 9 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in his senior season. he's statistically worse than jacory was in his last year. according to your logic, williams should be the starter because, unlike harris, morris is actually playing like sh*t his senior year.

I've already said Williams should have been given a series or two Thursday night. Yes, if your QB is out throwing 4 INT's that is giving your team the best opportunity to win. But now you've turned your stupid argument into a whole new stupid argument. Please stay on course...

Of course it is relevant to disregard the stats of his last game in argument about whether or not he should've been benched. Going into the last game, he had 19 TD's and 5 INT's. Not too shabby a ratio. You can't bench him after he plays like **** the last game. It's the last game.

What does the last game have to do with anything. In any game if my QB is shytting the bed he's getting yanked. Whats the point of talking about competition and how the player who plays best in practice starts and the guy playing the best in the game finishes if you don't actually do that?

You can leave your INT machine in the game but I'm going for the win.

I've already said Williams should have been given a series or two Thursday night. Yes, if your QB is out throwing 4 INT's that is giving your team the best opportunity to win. But now you've turned your stupid argument into a whole new stupid argument. Please stay on course...

actually i looked back and thought that you were the guy who said that morris should have started the last games of that season because it "was a wash" so that's where my argument is stemming from. i'm repping you out of my own f*ggotry on that.

If Duke Johnson didnt get knocked out the 1st quarter and Phillip Dorsett didnt get hurt either, Miami would've beaten UNC easily

It's hard to argue with Zone's unsupported speculative assumptions that he passes off as analysis.

I suppose Dorsett would have caught Morris's pass that ricocheted off of SH's helmet, and Duke would have given a much better effort than Crawford's crappy performance, right?

Advertisement
So is Golden saying that Morris' Jacory limp was indeed that? I mean, no pain at all right?

Advertisement
I'm more concerned about his decision making than his ankle.

Al Golden did say that Stephen's "routine" hasnt been consistent at all b/c of his ankle injury..... there's more to it then the ankle, not practicing, rust, timing.

Morris' routine hasn't been consistent all season.
We are 6-0 yet Morris has only played 3 complete games intermingled with long layoffs because of patsy games.
And he has a bum wheel.

Anybody still surprised that on, seemingly half his throws, it looks like there is miscommunication?
Morris is going to get in sync with his weapons and quickly morph into the talent we saw the last quarter of last year, where he looked like the best passer in college football.

On a side note, somebody please tell Golden that when you have a once in a generation talent like Duke, you don't use him as a pass blocker.

Consistenly inconsistent is what he is.... but my point is he has never played as horrible as he played last night.

At least he's clutch in late minute drives.
you are 100% right and we need him to get hot down the stretch like he did last year. It seemed he got hot around the same time his ankle healed up last year as well, just saying.

The weird thing about Morris is that he looks like a choker with some of the throws he makes under pressure and on the big stage. He's also struggled against good opponents which lends credence to him being a choker. Then, he'll go out there at the end of the game in clutch time with all the chips down and make a few perfect throws. The dude's a conundrum.

The weird thing about Morris is that he looks like a choker with some of the throws he makes under pressure and on the big stage. He's also struggled against good opponents which lends credence to him being a choker. Then, he'll go out there at the end of the game in clutch time with all the chips down and make a few perfect throws. The dude's a conundrum.

Glad you mentioned it. I spent second half yelling to put Williams in, then all night thanking God Golden is smarting than me. Nothing worse for QB than thinking he is not trusted. Golden was team trusts Morris and simply went with that. There is more to "what's between the ears" than smarts. 90 yards and the season on the line. Kid delivered the passes he needed to and back up RBs did the rest. If Nov 2 comes down to last minute drive from deep in our territory, team will know they can do it, and I will be much calmer than on Thursday.

Advertisement
Back