Al Golden a true leader

Hstokes1447

Junior
After the fumble, you can clearly see that Duke was disappointed in himself. As Duke rolled around on the field beating on his helmet, Al runs to him, helps him up, and tell him it's ok. The very next offensive play Al gives it back to Duke, and then to close the game he again puts it in Dukes hands.

If Al would have handled that differently, that could have been a huge blow to Dukes confidence. But like the true leader he is, Al continued to feed Duke allowing him to gain his confidence back. Players want to play for a coach like that. He is a master at knowing exactly when to motivate, support, or discipline. It will not be long before Al is being called the best coach in college football.

Advertisement
I noticed that too. I'm sure it meant a lot to Duke to have his coach have his back even after the miscue.

244.jpg

This taught me all I needed to know about the type of man Al Golden is.

By the end of next year they will be mentioning golden with the top dog HC's in football for sure.

Advertisement
244.jpg

+1000...this says a lot.

compare this to Urban Liar...caught some of the * game vs. N.western, their (*) RB got his bell sort of rang at the end of the game...guy had like 27 carries for 150+....you could tell he was dazed...urban put him back in and gave him to ball again...I found my self thinking "that guy gives no fu.ks about you"...why would you play for someone like that?

Gotta love AG!!! Go canes []_[]

After a decade spent watching nincompoops ruin a dynasty, it is the best feeling in the world to know we have as good a coach as there is.

After a decade spent watching nincompoops ruin a dynasty, it is the best feeling in the world to know we have as good a coach as there is.

Would be nice if the fans showed their enthusiasm and showed up for the games. The squirrly fanbase remains the weakest link in the chain.

Advertisement
244.jpg

+1000...this says a lot.

compare this to Urban Liar...caught some of the * game vs. N.western, their (*) RB got his bell sort of rang at the end of the game...guy had like 27 carries for 150+....you could tell he was dazed...urban put him back in and gave him to ball again...I found my self thinking "that guy gives no fu.ks about you"...why would you play for someone like that?

Gotta love AG!!! Go canes []_[]

Granted the RB didn't want to come out and waved the subs back to the sideline but I certainly get your point. Not a lot of coaches as emotionally attached to their players as Al is.

244.jpg

What touched me most was that Malcom reached up a pulled Al to him. If you have kids, you know that when they are hurting, they want daddy to hold them. Lewis clearly acted like he felt about Golden as a father. Saying "we are a family" or "I'll treat you son like he is my own" is one thing. Have a strange young man demonstrate that you have convinced HIM to believe you do care about him as your son is on another planet altogether.

I agree that what Al did with Duke shows he might just be the best HC in college football. That scene with Lewis shows that he is so much more than merely the best HC in college.

Great post, JJ Stokes. The Don is a leader of men, and that is the HCs #1 job. To lead. All great HCs are great leaders. They don't always have to be great X and O guys. But they always have to be great leaders. That's what this program has been missing for a long time, and the lack of leadership has actually crippled this program. Not the bad X and O's. The lack of leadership.

Advertisement
I'm gonna say right now...he will be coach of the year after this season. He is doing a **** of a job. He has gotten everyone on his team and staff to buy in and it is paying huge dividends.

Advertisement
At the end of the GT game after Al got asked some questions, the commentators compared him to Saban because of their "process" quotes

Al was the man before he became the man at Miami. Remember the Sun Bowl against ND? When Streeter went down? AL Golden running down to the end zone to check on Tommy Streeter? That told me all I needed to know about Golden as a coach and person. And that was before he coached a single minute at UM.

Advertisement
Back