Al Blades Jr's ceiling

He's a really good pure cover corner & can be lockdown All-conference CB.

As far as his draft status, I think our fans should learn by now that it's never going to be what we hope for so just stay away from that. How scouts in the league judge our players vs how we may feel about them are rarely ever in alignment. Nor does it need to be, just hope that he plays at a high level & helps us win, worrying too much about where these guys will get drafted only leads to disappointment come April.

We haven't had a CB drafted higher than the 5th round since Artie Burns, so we'll be lucky if we get a 4th rounder anytime soon. Learn to celebrate & appreciate a player for what they are while they're here & while not going overboard with unrealistic expectations.

Advertisement
He's a really good pure cover corner & can be lockdown All-conference CB.

As far as his draft status, I think our fans should learn by now that it's never going to be what we hope for so just stay away from that. How scouts in the league judge our players vs how we may feel about them are rarely ever in alignment. Nor does it need to be, just hope that he plays at a high level & helps us win, worrying too much about where these guys will get drafted only leads to disappointment come April.

We haven't had a CB drafted higher than the 5th round since Artie Burns, so we'll be lucky if we get a 4th rounder anytime soon. Learn to celebrate & appreciate a player for what they are while they're here & while not going overboard with unrealistic expectations.
Sooo........1st round right lol

If Jobe wants to get drafted high, he'd better:

1) skip the wonderlic;
2) leave early.

NFL frowns on older players in the draft. If given the chance with everything held equal, they go with the younger guy.yes
Yes, He leaves early for the draft next year along with Surtain.

Advertisement
Al was a track kid but I believe he ran the 200m. Anyone wanna confirm?
I didn’t look far … CIS … I saw 49.53/11.10 or 11.18, I don’t remember.

49.53 for a high school boy is probably no worse than 22.50. Throw in the 11.1x…he should(/might) be able to run under 4.50 - which seems to be where the fastest Miami player’s have run

4.44 - Sheldrick Redwine
4.45 - Michael Jackson
4.45 - Jeff Thomas
4.47 - Dee Delaney
4.48 - Travis Homer
4.48 - KJ Osborn
4.50 - Trajan Bandy

* Berrios … that same range.

I personally don't see a 1st or 2nd round corner. Jr is a solid press-man corner that needs to improve his agility, consistency, and versatility, which is most likely on the staff, if he wants to be a Day 1 pick. He's also noticeably stiff every now and again; a lot of our players on D were. Looking at that Okudah highlight, OSU's defenders look smooth and fly to the ball. I wonder does that have to do with S&C or scheme. His ceiling is definitely an All-ACC corner although he'll have some competition this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
3-5. Night and day seeing his tape and okudah. Okudah pops off the screen. Blades doesn’t have that type of athleticism or coaching.

Still a nice player here and one of my favorites on the team

Blades is doo doo against the run. He gets blocked far too easily by WRs. BUT, he's our best cover corner so he better do what he does best and lock down his man. No f'in excuses - Blades better make plays in this game. If he wants to be legendary this is the game to do it. Up to now he's JAG.

If Jobe wants to get drafted high, he'd better:

1) skip the wonderlic;
2) leave early.

NFL frowns on older players in the draft. If given the chance with everything held equal, they go with the younger guy.
His Bama teammates caught him sleeping with a teddy bear. How does that look to an NFL GM?

Advertisement
his ceiling in terms of draft pick is 2nd-3round. I just hope he stays and maximizes his potential. get thar degree and chase the NFL dream. he has a great makeup

Blades is doo doo against the run. He gets blocked far too easily by WRs. BUT, he's our best cover corner so he better do what he does best and lock down his man. No f'in excuses - Blades better make plays in this game. If he wants to be legendary this is the game to do it. Up to now he's JAG.

Al Blades jr is solid against the run and one of the best cbs in the country.

Advertisement
tenor - 2020-10-01T233500.897.gif

He does need to improve in the run game and getting off blocks but he’s far from a JAG period, not even close

Last edited:
All you blades fan boys -- watch the Hawkins reversal field right back to Blades side and he's STILL blocked by the WR. Show me a play where he throws off a block and makes a hit.

I've looked for em and havent seen one. His INTs this year, one was a very late throw and he just had to catch it, 2nd one was the pop-up by Bolden. Better to make them than not but would anyone really claim they were MADE plays by Blades. I contend that anyone would have made them ie JAG. He's a better cover corner than I gave him credit for but I want to see him take a ball, make a big hit, make a PLAY. We know a play when we see it. Blades in his career made ONE play that is memorable and that was UVA last year on the throw to the end zone.

Advertisement
Back