Al Blades Jr. transferring to STA

Every thread becomes a post about..

1.Sam Bruce
2. Al Golden ******** us OR and this is the most current..
3. HS kids that's right HIGH SCHOOL kids decision making and the folks that look after them

Yall are more mad at the fact that you cant read into HS kids and their comments than how they are being handled. You dont care about the background and circumstances they come from but about dumb **** like "why their heads are so big and hyped up." Who tf cares?! Some people make it off of their humble manner and some make it cause they know they're the ****. Some kids make it out of bad situations and some dont. They have to move on and live their lives however things turn out. Some of yall really need to get from behind the keyboard and re-evaluate yourselves. Its a discussion board so discuss all things Miami Hurricanes but cmon like trying to categorize a whole pool of kids and schools for your own negative agenda is weak af
****, good post lots of truth there.

Advertisement
franchise is correct. if you're good in south florida, you'll be found. nobody is going to stop going to STA to watch their team. they don't need blades there to help bring out recruiters.
it's a joke that STA has the most players in the nfl. and i like STA. but, it's ridiculous. and to "brag" about beating the public schools is a joke when, as franchise said, it's an all star team.

i feel bad for an up and coming young player at STA who has been in catholic school his whole life and started at STA as a freshman who is a junior and maybe thinks he's going to start only to have a blue chip recruit transfer for their last year and take their starting job.

happened to a relative of mine ...not at sta...but at another similar school in the county....but hey u ghet to brag that u got a ring..even though u split time on an all star team. Sta with Smith at coach didnt recruit as much....the name sorts of brought kids...with the new guy they got now..dude will recruit...thats all he knows from his u school days....alot of their transfers are u school kids any way

I'm here to post that I've officially read this thread and thank the posters who made this possible .

Thanks

That midget is gonna take STA to heights they've never seen for 3 reasons...

1. He recruits his *** off
2. STA will finally be running the spread
3. They'll finally be participating in 7-on-7 stuff. The old staff wouldn't allow it.

3. They'll finally be participating in 7-on-7 stuff. The old staff wouldn't allow it.

They did one year. The first year of all-star 7v7s (2008) they went to tampa and had an all star team full of STA kids (Duron Carter, Dwayne Difton, etc...) and a few other kids from broward. The the rest of the broward kids played for SFE or some squad that had kids with zero d1 offers. Chris Carter coached it and IIRC, that's where the famous Trabis Ward video came from. Not sure why they stopped after that.

Yeah, STA might be running the spread to get their guys into space, but as far as in-game calling/adjustments, Harriot does nothing special. Even when he was at USchool, his best team never beat a quality opponent. IMO, there's nothing special regarding coaching that those kids receive at STA. STA used to at least have Chris Carter, and his receivers would always be ready to play in college, year 1.

Advertisement

They did one year. The first year of all-star 7v7s (2008) they went to tampa and had an all star team full of STA kids (Duron Carter, Dwayne Difton, etc...) and a few other kids from broward. The the rest of the broward kids played for SFE or some squad that had kids with zero d1 offers. Chris Carter coached it and IIRC, that's where the famous Trabis Ward video came from. Not sure why they stopped after that.

Yeah, STA might be running the spread to get their guys into space, but as far as in-game calling/adjustments, Harriot does nothing special. Even when he was at USchool, his best team never beat a quality opponent. IMO, there's nothing special regarding coaching that those kids receive at STA. STA used to at least have Chris Carter, and his receivers would always be ready to play in college, year 1.

Agree 100%. His teams got punched in the mouth anytime they played teams with comparable talent.

Agree 100%. His teams got punched in the mouth anytime they played teams with comparable talent.

He doesn't have many friends in Broward County that's for sure. Dude is such a phony.

Off Topic kinda, but this Upcoming season St Thomas plays Bishop Gorman, so we get to see how they play against the #1 ranked team the last 2 years in the nation.

and western would have a pretty good program instead of being irrelevant

We had a great program from 2008-2012. We started 6-0 two seasons in a row, were ranked and blew the doors off of every team not named Miramar, Cypress or Flanagan. Beat Plantation twice in one year and were a deep ball (to Stacy Coley) away from beating Northeast and advancing to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Bottom line is...in order to beat the Flanagans and Miramar they (western) have to keep their local studs at home...which isn't happening. Ultimately that makes out impossible to make waves at a program like that.

He burned Cory twice.

Advertisement
and western would have a pretty good program instead of being irrelevant

We had a great program from 2008-2012. We started 6-0 two seasons in a row, were ranked and blew the doors off of every team not named Miramar, Cypress or Flanagan. Beat Plantation twice in one year and were a deep ball (to Stacy Coley) away from beating Northeast and advancing to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Bottom line is...in order to beat the Flanagans and Miramar they (western) have to keep their local studs at home...which isn't happening. Ultimately that makes out impossible to make waves at a program like that.

He burned Cory twice.

He also got KO'd by Andrew Harris. :monkey-serious:

He doesn't have many friends in Broward County that's for sure. Dude is such a phony.

Apparently he does cause somebody is sending him a lot of kids. lol

I agree that the mercenary aspect of these high schools is unfortunate but you can't really fault someone for trying to maximize their situation. Yes, a guy who may be a star on a bad team will not get to shine as bright individually at STA but consider the national exposure you get playing there. You're on ESPN. You have multiple FBS scholarship guys on your team bringing every single coach and scout to your school to see your team. Somebody may be going to see a Joey Bosa or Sam Bruce but while they're there, they manage to catch you making a couple of impressive plays and all of the sudden you're on a school's radar. I'll agree it sucks for the public schools who just can't compete with the St. Thomas Aquinas and American Heritage's out there.

I agree with you on some points although I agree with franchise more... But a kid like Al Blades everybody knows about him already, there is no need for him to get more national exposure he is already a national recruit. However it does work like take sam Bruce...U think he'd be rated a high 4 star since his sophomore year if he went to Dillard instead of University and St. Thomas? SOme times you get rated higher just because of the school you go to.

However machos point is correct if dudes stayed at their school Colleges would be everywhere in SFL anyway..Dillard should be a monster program

Last edited:
I agree that the mercenary aspect of these high schools is unfortunate but you can't really fault someone for trying to maximize their situation. Yes, a guy who may be a star on a bad team will not get to shine as bright individually at STA but consider the national exposure you get playing there. You're on ESPN. You have multiple FBS scholarship guys on your team bringing every single coach and scout to your school to see your team. Somebody may be going to see a Joey Bosa or Sam Bruce but while they're there, they manage to catch you making a couple of impressive plays and all of the sudden you're on a school's radar. I'll agree it sucks for the public schools who just can't compete with the St. Thomas Aquinas and American Heritage's out there.

I agree with you on some points although I agree with franchise more... But a kid like Al Blades everybody knows about him already, there is no need for him to get more national exposure he is already a national recruit. However it does work like take sam Bruce...U think he'd be rated a high 4 star since his sophomore year if he went to Dillard instead of University and St. Thomas? SOme times you get rated higher just because of the school you go to

But the star ratings only matter to fans. The stars don't affect his offer list at all. If anything, he would've been a 3-star and then got bumped to a 4-star once he started receiving offers from the big schools. (like we see all the time)

Dillard has some players with big time offers. It's not like he would've went unnoticed.

Burgess-Becker and Ridley went to Moncarch and look at their star rankings. MONARCH! They're about as irrelevant as you can get in South FLA high school football. Same with them Coconut Creek boys. Creek has always been terrible. Doesn't seem to hurt their star rankings.

Advertisement

By your logic maximizing their situation is going somewhere in hopes of being noticed while coaches visit other players, rather than bring "the guy" at your intended school, who the coaches are actually coming to visit.

If you play in SoFla and put up numbers, you don't need to be at STA, etc. to get noticed.

Nice poRst

Last edited:

If you're playing in S. FL, and you can play, they will find you. All this "maximize my situation" **** is what is destroying the local culture. Rep your district and your HS and stop the mercenary ****. If you can play, and you're in S. FL, you will get to go wherever you want.

Not totally disagreeing with you but someone mentioned a WR from Western High earlier. The difference between dominating at Western and contributing at STA is that when scouts actually come to see you practice/play, you're playing/practicing against other top level competition. Aside from playing the regular district schedule, STA schedules multiple out of state powerhouses that often get broadcast on national TV. At Western, you're pretty much playing only local teams, you're NEVER going to get any national exposure and in practice you're going up against guys that aren't sniffing a scholarship.

Now, if you're already playing at one local powerhouse and you just decide to transfer to another team because the coaches kiss your *** more, then that's a whole different story.
You severely underestimate the depth of college recruiting

Advertisement
It's not like private schools poaching local talent is some new concept. I remember the best local kids in Pines and Hollywood, that had been going to public schools their whole lives, all of the sudden enrolling in St. Thomas, or Chaminade or Cardinal Gibbons. That was 20 years ago when I was still in high school. My friend is trying to fill a head coaching spot at Plantation right now and it's not easy because the best players zoned for PHS all go to STA or AHS or University School. They make the playoffs every year but when they play STA, there's no real shot at winning. This year it was 42-0 at the half. Aquinas emptied their bench in the second half and the game ended up like 42-28.

I agree with you on some points although I agree with franchise more... But a kid like Al Blades everybody knows about him already, there is no need for him to get more national exposure he is already a national recruit. However it does work like take sam Bruce...U think he'd be rated a high 4 star since his sophomore year if he went to Dillard instead of University and St. Thomas? SOme times you get rated higher just because of the school you go to

But the star ratings only matter to fans. The stars don't affect his offer list at all. If anything, he would've been a 3-star and then got bumped to a 4-star once he started receiving offers from the big schools. (like we see all the time)

Dillard has some players with big time offers. It's not like he would've went unnoticed.

Burgess-Becker and Ridley went to Moncarch and look at their star rankings. MONARCH! They're about as irrelevant as you can get in South FLA high school football. Same with them Coconut Creek boys. Creek has always been terrible. Doesn't seem to hurt their star rankings.

But Ridley and SBB got a good bulk of those offers in the spring because of 7on7. I think coaches will find you but in some cases - Michael deeb for one - transferring is a much better option. On the other side, I don't think Tmac gets 60 offers if he attends Mcarthur instead of heritage. I doubt 10 people on this board know who Anthony Rey is but if he went to American heritage, STA, etc. he could've gone small d1 or to an Ivy League

I agree with you that college coaches couldn't care about stars and "exposure." I also agree that transferring is absurdly out of hand but w/ this bill it won't stop soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
franchise is correct. if you're good in south florida, you'll be found. nobody is going to stop going to STA to watch their team. they don't need blades there to help bring out recruiters.
it's a joke that STA has the most players in the nfl. and i like STA. but, it's ridiculous. and to "brag" about beating the public schools is a joke when, as franchise said, it's an all star team.

i feel bad for an up and coming young player at STA who has been in catholic school his whole life and started at STA as a freshman who is a junior and maybe thinks he's going to start only to have a blue chip recruit transfer for their last year and take their starting job.

happened to a relative of mine ...not at sta...but at another similar school in the county....but hey u ghet to brag that u got a ring..even though u split time on an all star team. Sta with Smith at coach didnt recruit as much....the name sorts of brought kids...with the new guy they got now..dude will recruit...thats all he knows from his u school days....alot of their transfers are u school kids any way

You have to out recruit people when you can't out coach them.

Advertisement
Back