Ajay Allen RB from Nebraska hits the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of excuses going on here. It wasn’t the comparison’s or the hype. Yearby was simply not good. End of story.
Sister Act Reaction GIF

Thank You - glad someone else could see it

Reactions: jsy
Advertisement
I think it’s fair to say he didn’t suck but he has been one of the bottom tiers of RB’s we have produced in the last 10 years.
I don't even know about that. He wasn't great but it's not like we've had a list of star running backs over the last decade. We've had three 1,000 yard rushers since 2012. Duke was clearly a superstar. The other two guys were Mark Walton and Joe Yearby. Travis Homer came close one season. Not exactly a hall of fame list of running backs. Good players but nothing special.

I love Bijan Robinson. I think he's an absolute stud. But I don't think The Falcons taking him at #8 overall is smart roster construction. See the difference?

With that in mind....

- Chaney is 208 and has been injured the last 2 years. Even when healthy, he didn't overtake or outplay Cam Harris.
- Citizen is 221 and has been might miss 2 full years before he gets his first college carry
- Fletcher I'm guessing is in the 225-230 range, and has zero college carries. I think he can be a good college RB but I don't personally see him as a "stud" type.

Our 3 200+ lb backs are big question marks

I like Ajay Allen. I can't tell a lot from the limited clips I've seen - but he looks like he has some good potential. But - given the makeup of our current RB room, I would've preferred taking a transfer that was more established and wasn't 190ish lbs. That's not to say Allen can't be a complete stud and prove me wrong. I think he can and I hope he does.

I'll try this again - my comment isn't about any of our RB's individually - it's about smart roster construction.
you're bringing a checkers mentality to a game of chess; but go off.

Last edited:
I love Bijan Robinson. I think he's an absolute stud. But I don't think The Falcons taking him at #8 overall is smart roster construction. See the difference?

With that in mind....

- Chaney is 208 and has been injured the last 2 years. Even when healthy, he didn't overtake or outplay Cam Harris.
- Citizen is 221 and has been might miss 2 full years before he gets his first college carry
- Fletcher I'm guessing is in the 225-230 range, and has zero college carries. I think he can be a good college RB but I don't personally see him as a "stud" type.

Our 3 200+ lb backs are big question marks

I like Ajay Allen. I can't tell a lot from the limited clips I've seen - but he looks like he has some good potential. But - given the makeup of our current RB room, I would've preferred taking a transfer that was more established and wasn't 190ish lbs. That's not to say Allen can't be a complete stud and prove me wrong. I think he can and I hope he does.

I'll try this again - my comment isn't about any of our RB's individually - it's about smart roster construction.
Chaney was outplaying Harris in 2021 before the injury.

Cristobal doesn't mind running a small back behind a big line. Travis Dye, Parrish, etc...Even Verdell was what 5'8 205?
contact balance, ability to press the hole, vision, pad-level and speed are all things to be considered when determining effectiveness of a RB; size may be a bit oversold in this argument.

Advertisement
This endless chatter about weight & smallish backs is nonsense. We definitely need to add another RB to the room. Doesn’t matter if 180 or 220, but grab the best available. He’s unlikely to be lead back getting 20 carries a game. Sorry for those fixated on size, but a young Jim Brown isn’t walking in the room.

This endless chatter about weight & smallish backs is nonsense. We definitely need to add another RB to the room. Doesn’t matter if 180 or 220, but grab the best available. He’s unlikely to be lead back getting 20 carries a game. Sorry for those fixated on size, but a young Jim Brown isn’t walking in the room.
Unless UAB has a grad transfer literally named Jim Brown

Advertisement
Over the last 3 seasons we've only had a running back get more than 20 carries 4 total times. Knighton twice in 2021 and Parrish twice last year. The only reason that happened was because we had so little depth at the position we often only had one running back available to carry the load. We don't really need to be too concerned with grabbing a guy who can carry it 20 times a game. If we have a deep group we'll be alright

Over the last 3 seasons we've only had a running back get more than 20 carries 4 total times. Knighton twice in 2021 and Parrish twice last year. The only reason that happened was because we had so little depth at the position we often only had one running back available to carry the load. We don't really need to be too concerned with grabbing a guy who can carry it 20 times a game. If we have a deep group we'll be alright

Agreed.

I will also point out that size doesn't always equal durability at RB. Sure, there is a correlation, but it isn't a straight line. Parrish and Knighton were more durable than Chaney and Citizen over the last two seasons.

Advertisement
Gore, Mcgahee, Portis, James..that's a pretty high standard.
Lol. Not even in the same stratosphere. Shoot, Duke, Homer, Walton, Lamar, DJ, and Parrish were more talented in my opinion.

I don't even know about that. He wasn't great but it's not like we've had a list of star running backs over the last decade. We've had three 1,000 yard rushers since 2012. Duke was clearly a superstar. The other two guys were Mark Walton and Joe Yearby. Travis Homer came close one season. Not exactly a hall of fame list of running backs. Good players but nothing special.
Most of them went to the league. Lol.

Advertisement
Lol. Not even in the same stratosphere. Shoot, Duke, Homer, Walton, Lamar, DJ, and Parrish were more talented in my opinion.

So I guess you're still trying to make the point that Yearby was 'not good'. The quote you used of mine, perhaps innocently, lacked context. I certainly was not implying Yearby was one of the great backs in UM history. However, he did have a 1000 yard season and was indeed a good college back. Not big. Not fast. Not Dalvin Cook. Not as talented or dynamic as many other Hurricane backs. But he was a productive back when wearing orange & green. To me, and most reasonable people, that meets the standard of 'good'.

I was basing it on what they did here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back