Ajay Allen RB from Nebraska hits the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a call in
Will Ferrell Hello GIF by Saturday Night Live

Advertisement
Knighton wasn't very effective here partly because he's only 180 lbs. Yearby was also limited being 185 lbs.

So - is there a lesson to be learned here?

If CJ & Wheatley-Humphrey each add 15-20 lbs - they're still small RB's.

Look at teams that consistently produce NFL RB's - Alabama, Georgia, LSU. They rarely have even 1 190 lb RB on their roster, let alone 3-4

I'm not saying to not take any of these types - I'm saying it's not smart to load up on these types.
Yearby was bigger than 185

Don't miss the forest with the trees with what @bshaw28 is saying...and he's right. Individually, all of those players have something to like and are potentially good players, but it is not wise roster construction to have a roster filled with <190lb running backs. <190lb is having a bunch of a non-pros on your roster.

Knighton - 180 lbs
Parrish - 190 lbs
CJ - 178 lbs
Wheatley-Humphrey - 175 lbs
Allen - 185 lbs

While individually I like things about each of these RB's, I don't think it's smart roster building by loading up with so many sub 190 lb RB's
Really good point. Don’t forget

Christian Atkins - 180
Duke Johnson - 180
joseph yearby - 190

Not on the team anymore but obviously that isn’t important to your list

Advertisement
Yeah, we've had a lot of balance over the years that has made it hard to rack up 1,000 yard rushers.

Probably some surprises in there (Yearby, Ferguson) and some we THOUGHT would have been in there (Gore got close).

It took us a while to get started (Ottis) and then Butch built a beast (5 out of 6 years in a row with a 1,000 yard rusher).

And while we didn't win enough games in the 2000-teens, we had some nice O-lines and RBs in those years.
Lol we haven’t had balance what we had was a terrible o-line and couldn’t run the ball most games

Advertisement
Knighton wasn't very effective here partly because he's only 180 lbs. Yearby was also limited being 185 lbs.

So - is there a lesson to be learned here?

If CJ & Wheatley-Humphrey each add 15-20 lbs - they're still small RB's.

Look at teams that consistently produce NFL RB's - Alabama, Georgia, LSU. They rarely have even 1 190 lb RB on their roster, let alone 3-4

I'm not saying to not take any of these types - I'm saying it's not smart to load up on these types.
You replied to the right person? All I did was put one no longer on the roster, one still in HS not on campus and the last who still has an entire year left of HS.

Yearby was 185 at his pro day

I got yelled at when I expressed concerns about Knightons weight when he was in HS. People told me he actually weighed 195. He's now a 182 lb SR in college.
He lost weight to try and help that 40. His last year here he was like 200. I remember fans were saying he was already slow and the extra weight made him slower

Did Fletcher reconsider and join the Navy or something???

Wait, what? Are you telling me that somebody posted an inaccurate roster of our running backs to push a narrative about our entire backfield being made up of small guys?

Who would do such a thing?

Oh, right, this is CIS...

Advertisement
I think it's an interesting point to evaluate over time. I think having more bigger backs on the roster is probably warranted considering that 2 of the 3 have an injury history. I think it would be preferable to bring in a bigger back because of such injury history but the one that is out there also has the same injury concern. Now if you are talking about carrying 6-7 running backs on the roster, I'd probably want a minimum of 4 who are 195+. Let's see where those weights end up after spring. I'd also like to see how the roster looks in 2 years and what the offense looks like.

Wait, what? Are you telling me that somebody posted an inaccurate roster of our running backs to push a narrative about our entire backfield being made up of small guys?

Who would do such a thing?

Oh, right, this is CIS...
CJ and Wheatley-Humphrey aren't on the roster right now either.

I included Knighton because it should be fresh in people's minds how ineffective he was at 180 lbs the last 2 years.

Outside of early 2010's Oregon - name me a good team that loads up on these body types and I'll happily admit I'm wrong.

I think it's an interesting point to evaluate over time. I think having more bigger backs on the roster is probably warranted considering that 2 of the 3 have an injury history. I think it would be preferable to bring in a bigger back because of such injury history but the one that is out there also has the same injury concern. Now if you are talking about carrying 6-7 running backs on the roster, I'd probably want a minimum of 4 who are 195+. Let's see where those weights end up after spring. I'd also like to see how the roster looks in 2 years and what the offense looks like.
We already have the evidence in the form of the NFL draft.

Since 2000 only 4 RB's have been drafted ion the first 3 rounds on the NFL Draft that weighed 195 lbs or less

2000 - Trung Canidate - 193 / 4.41
2007 - Lorenzo Booker - 191 / 4.46
2007 - Garrett Wolfe - 186 / 4.39
2023 - Devon Achane - 188 / 4.32

Again - each of the RB's have a chance to be good college RB's. I'm not knocking any of them. But there's 5-6 threads right now about how we need more NFL talent, and these body types are MAJOR outliers to become NFL players.

Advertisement
CJ and Wheatley-Humphrey aren't on the roster right now either.

I included Knighton because it should be fresh in people's minds how ineffective he was at 180 lbs the last 2 years.

Outside of early 2010's Oregon - name me a good team that loads up on these body types and I'll happily admit I'm wrong.

The argument was not "name all the sub-200-pound running backs over a 10 year period", it was about having too many on the roster at the same time. Which is a silly argument to make when including names who are not, you know, on the roster at the same time.

But even getting past that point, I'd say that Knight wasn't "ineffective" because of his weight, he was ineffective because of his fumbles and his attitude and his misuse. He could have been very productive at UM at 180 pounds.

We already have the evidence in the form of the NFL draft.

Since 2000 only 4 RB's have been drafted ion the first 3 rounds on the NFL Draft that weighed 195 lbs or less

2000 - Trung Canidate - 193 / 4.41
2007 - Lorenzo Booker - 191 / 4.46
2007 - Garrett Wolfe - 186 / 4.39
2023 - Devon Achane - 188 / 4.32

Again - each of the RB's have a chance to be good college RB's. I'm not knocking any of them. But there's 5-6 threads right now about how we need more NFL talent, and these body types are MAJOR outliers to become NFL players.

But this is a grab-bag of selective statistics designed to push your narrative.

For instance, if your complaint is about people who start threads about how we "need more NFL talent", it's pretty misleading to only include NFL guys from "the first 3 rounds". Because the "first 3 rounds" consitutes less than 100 players per year, which omits a huge chunk of the NFL.

Only displaying part of a picture is not "we already have the evidence". It's "I only want to show you a sliver of the evidence which supports what I want you to conclude".

We need guys who COULD become NFL talent. Whether that involves them getting bigger or faster...is to be determined.

If you think that the 2023 versions of Edgerrin and Najeh and Willis are walking through that recruiting door at the same time, you MIGHT be disappointed...

Knighton - 180 lbs
Parrish - 190 lbs
CJ - 178 lbs
Wheatley-Humphrey - 175 lbs
Allen - 185 lbs

While individually I like things about each of these RB's, I don't think it's smart roster building by loading up with so many sub 190 lb RB's
Weird take when a bunch of 5’8” - 5’10” 190-200lb (and 5’5” 160) RBs were just drafted.

Knighton isn’t even here.

Parrish is what he is at this point.

CJ hasn’t set foot in a college weight program.

Wheatley is a HS jr, also see above.

Allen is a freshman with decent size already.

CJ and Wheatley can put on the necessary weight still for their skill sets. Who would want a bunch of Kamara’s and Gibbs amirite?

The argument was not "name all the sub-200-pound running backs over a 10 year period", it was about having too many on the roster at the same time. Which is a silly argument to make when including names who are not, you know, on the roster at the same time.

But even getting past that point, I'd say that Knight wasn't "ineffective" because of his weight, he was ineffective because of his fumbles and his attitude and his misuse. He could have been very productive at UM at 180 pounds.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back