After landing UM offer, 4-star CB Royal plans fall visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 4-star DB Jahvante Royal has been committed to Pitt for two months now, but his recruitment got a little more interesting recently when the local Miami Hurricanes extended an offer his way.

“It doesn’t really change my commitment, but I’m going to take a look at Miami and see what’s going on there to make sure I’m covering all my options,” Royal said.

Although recruiting sites list Royal as a safety, the UM coaching staff actually sees him as a corner at the next level. It seems cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph is already making an impression on the St. Thomas star.

“The coaching staff and coach Rumph is what has me interested in learning more about Miami,” Royal said.

What does he like about coach Rumph?

“He’s a cool guy, really cool guy,” Royal said. “He tells me that they really need me down there, so it feels good to know I’m a priority for them.”

Although he has no upcoming visits planned, Royal does expect that he will get down to Miami for a home game this fall. His last visit of the process came in late June on an official visit to Pitt, and he left campus committed to the Panthers.

“The coaching staff, the people up there, the vibe - it’s just the energy they give off felt like nowhere else I’ve been,” Royal said of why he committed to Pitt.

Royal’s main contact at Pitt has been DL coach Charlie Patridge, who recruits the South Florida area.

In lieu of taking many visits over the offseason, Royal has instead been putting in extra time working on improving his game at defensive back. The 6-3 185 pound prospect was mainly a WR in the past, but has focused on transitioning to DB full-time in the past year or so.

“I mean, coming from receiver and going to corner, I know what receivers do,” Royal said. “It’s not really that much harder, it’s just I have to learn the techniques and that’s it. I’m working on getting in and out of my breaks right now.”

After falling to Lakeland in the state title game last season, Royal feels like he and the rest of his Raider teammates are on the cusp of getting back to the championship in 2019.

“It’s always the same - high expectations, winning states, nothing less.”

At the Miami Opening Regional in February, Royal recorded a 4.64 40-yard dash 4.34 short shuttle, and a 34.40 inch vertical.

Advertisement
What is with the low UM interest from St. Thomas players? I know the school has historically been a feeder school, but feel like that has changed. Especially after a bunch of kids transferred there after the rule change.

What is with the low UM interest from St. Thomas players?

Well for starters highly doubt UM would take his commitment right now if he did want to come. Of course I don't know that as a fact, but shows all the signs of someone that UM is "offering" as a backup plan

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well for starters highly doubt UM would take his commitment right now if he did want to come. Of course I don't know that as a fact, but shows all the signs of someone that UM is "offering" as a backup plan
Why wouldn’t he be a take I think he’s better than some guys committed

What is with the low UM interest from St. Thomas players? I know the school has historically been a feeder school, but feel like that has changed. Especially after a bunch of kids transferred there after the rule change.

Ehhhh idk about feeder school we don’t get their top notch players

Advertisement

Kids go to STA to win.We haven’t won anything in recent memory. Once we win we’ll start to get some of these front running guys.

Definitely need to keep in contact with this kid & work a potential flip. We need at least 2 more DB's in this class imo & Royal could be one of them, I def don't see him sticking with Pitt all year.

At CB, Brian George should be at the top of the board imo, followed by trying to flip Jalen Harrell even though he probably won't (but you get'em to take an OV & see what happens).

At Safety, Balom will be in this class & I would go after another one as well.

The main priority is keeping Francois & Branch committed, but in the event they don't, have contingency plans in order so we're not left scrambling late.

Plus never forget, there's going to be prospects that suddenly come available later in the year once crootin' season starts in Dec-Jan, so you have to always to be aggressive & continue recruit heavy.

Kids that are recruited from alllll over south of Orlando to go to STA to roll with the popular school who has the most talent to make the path of least resistance to success are gonna have the same mindset when it comes to being recruited for Div. 1 football. Simple.

Definitely need to keep in contact with this kid & work a potential flip. We need at least 2 more DB's in this class imo & Royal could be one of them, I def don't see him sticking with Pitt all year.

At CB, Brian George should be at the top of the board imo, followed by trying to flip Jalen Harrell even though he probably won't (but you get'em to take an OV & see what happens).

The main priority is keeping Francois & Branch committed, but in the event they don't, have contingency plans in order so we're not left scrambling late.

Plus never forget, there's going to be prospects that suddenly come available later in the year once crootin' season starts in Dec-Jan, so you have to always to be aggressive & continue recruit heavy.
You seem to like Branch a lot, why is that? I'm not saying he isn't a good prospect, but you said it is a main priority for UM, to to keep him and does he plan to play CB or S.

Advertisement
You seem to like Branch a lot, why is that? I'm not saying he isn't a good prospect, but you said it is a main priority for UM, to to keep him and does he plan to play CB or S.
He's a priority due to his upside & the fact we've kept him committed this long while not really pursuing anybody else to replace him.

He can play both CB & S, it was said earlier they liked him at Striker but after he visited back in July for the recruiting event he more than likely will be a S/CB here.

He's the exact kind of Lousiana DB prospect you recruit, long armed frame with good ball skills & instincts, good 4.6 speed & 33inch vert. He fits perfectly in our scheme.

Backup plan to who exactly? George look like he may be leaning auburn(Tennison too$ Im not sure what other corner we are recruiting like that

just wait until he visits one of our home games and vibe with the#TNM

Advertisement
Backup plan to who exactly? George look like he may be leaning auburn(Tennison too$ Im not sure what other corner we are recruiting like that

George may be a backup plan too for all we know...But ya he doesn't have to be a backup for someone in specific, just keeping in touch in case someone bolts.

He is a take

Sorry disagree...You can't tell me with 4 DB committed (5 if you count K-Wash, who may be a striker, and seems like a reach who COULD work his way out)...Tennison still being a top target (we won't talk about total long shots like Ricks who they would make room for)...That Royal is a take.

So in your opinion Kyle

Let's say those 5 stick (I think it's safe to say K-Wash may or may not)

How many more will they take (and in what order would they accept UM accept their commits), let's say for argument's sake Tennison to Auburn

Balom
Royal
B.George

It's gotta be only 1 spot right? 2 if K-Wash is pushed out?

Last edited:

Yup just like we picked up Christian Williams late. I truly expect to do the same this year.

Advertisement
Back