After decommitting from FSU, Harrell will attend UM-GT this weekend

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 4-star DB Jalen Harrell made news recently when he decommitted from the Florida State Seminoles on Tuesday, opening up his recruitment to see what other schools have to offer.

“My parents and I just wanted to make sure I was making the right decision is all,” Harrell said. “I wanted to live with no regrets.”

Before backing off his commitment, Harrell had been committed to the Noles since April. However, since sending safeties coach Ephraim Banda to one of Harrell’s games at Champagnat Catholic last month, the Canes have been consistent in pushing for the flip.

“It’s been heavy, they’ve definitely been coming hard,” Harrell said of UM. “I love coach Banda. We’ve actually known each other since my freshman year. He saw the potential in me my freshman year when I was at safety. I was a little kid and he was talking to my coaches about me and we’ve been in contact since then, since I was a 9th grader.”

The first go-round, Harrell was being recruited by UM as a cornerback, but he says now Banda sees him at safety.

“He wants me to play safety, says I could play safety or striker,” Harrell said. “He mentioned cornerback, but he just said he sees me as a safety, which I have no problem with that. I can play anywhere in the secondary.”

As he wants to sign in December, things are moving fast for Harrell, but one thing is clear: the Canes are again major players in this recruitment.

“They’ve been one of my favorite schools since I was a child,” Harrell said of UM. “I grew up loving the Hurricanes since both of my parents always liked them. My interest is very high, always has been.”

Harrell made a handful of visits to UM in the spring before he committed to FSU, so he already has a good feel for the campus and the program. However, he will be in the stands this weekend watching Miami take on Georgia Tech for his first Hurricanes’ game as an invited recruit.

“I’ll definitely be out there this Saturday,” Harrell said. “I’ve been able to watch them (on TV). I know they had a great week last week.”

The 6-2 180 pound prospect has moved quickly in trying to set up official visits for the last two months before the first signing day, and Harrell has zeroed in on four schools in particular he’d like to see soon.

“Georgia Tech, I’m scheduling an official soon. I’m going up to UCF on the second (of November), that’s an official,” Harrell said. “And Nebraska, I’m in the process of setting up an official there too. Of course, Miami as well. I haven’t set it up yet, me and coach Banda are still talking about that.”

As for his final official, Harrell is deciding where he would take it, but says FSU is still in consideration, and that multiple other programs have been in contact since he left FSU's class.

“Florida State, Florida, Notre Dame, a few other schools,” he says.

As the craziness of recruiting has ramped up, Harrell is doing his best to stay focused on his senior season at Champagnat Catholic. After playing last year at Miami Central, Harrell made the move to the Lions in the offseason and has been a versatile defender for his new school in 2019. He's recorded 37 tackles, a PBU, and a pick-six in 6 games played for the 5-2 Lions so far.

“It’s been going great, I’m glad I made the move,” Harrell said. “I’ve been playing corner, safety, linebacker – it just depends who we play. Last week, we played Belen, I played more in the box. If you run spread, I’ll be in at safety, at some point come in at corner. Of course, we’re winning states. Anything less than states is a failure.”

While Harrell has no decision date in mind, he does know what he’s looking for in a program.

“I’m just taking my time right now. I don’t want to rush into a commitment and want to give everyone a chance,” Harrell said. “I’m really looking for development and stability.”

Advertisement
“I’m just taking my time right now. I don’t want to rush into a commitment and want to give everyone a chance....”

This says it all for me, young kid, knowing what he wants to do.

Seem like all the top schools he thaugt he would be able to play for stop recruiting him. Because he wasn't sounding this humble and interested in Miami over the summer. I like him at safety tho.

Advertisement
Here he is in the box against Don Chaney and Belen (Wing T team). I'm seeing striker for him. He played in the front seven early in his career and his body type looks like it can get to the 205-210 range.

Advertisement
Here he is in the box against Don Chaney and Belen (Wing T team). I'm seeing striker for him. He played in the front seven early in his career and his body type looks like it can get to the 205-210 range.

You can tell he made an emphasis on adding weight and getting faster over the summer. He’s probably up to 195-200 and runs a 4.6 now. I can definitely see him playing striker.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back