Adidas Deal Final Overview

Let me preface this post by saying that I am probably the biggest supporter of Nike that you are going to find anywhere. Until recently, I have refused to buy anything but Nike shoes not only out of personal preference, but because I hated the notion that Adidas was some Euro "soccer company." With that being said, let me address the main points of the Adidas deal and how they pertain to the football program.

1. Adidas is paying more money than Nike was willing to offer - Clear and easy. The more money we are getting out of this, the better.

2. The Nike uniforms last year were garbage - Orange (christmas ornament) helmets? Are you kidding me? Don't even mention all the effort (none at all) they put into the white, green, grey (which we already had) and orange uniforms.

To be honest, a lot of what Nike has done in college football recently has been unimpressive. Just look at Oregon's uniforms for the natty, white on silver? You'd think they would at least add some yellow or green. Alabama still looks like they did 20 years ago while FSU downgraded.

3. The new pattern Adidas revealed is pretty sick - I don't remember Michigan getting put up all over ESPN.com when they switched over and as a college aged (UM student) myself, this innovation is a lot more attractive than a swoosh pasted on a default green U t-shirt. Nike put us in their backseat, while Adidas has us riding shotgun.

4. They are trying to make us the Oregon of Adidas - I don't really buy this but, hey, they've done a lot more for us in the past 48 hours than Nike has done in the past decade

5. The (ugly) cleats put out today were marketing tools and will never be worn in games - These were gifts to NFL alums welcoming them to the brand with the intention of them sharing their custom cleats on social media (which they did). All of this done in the name of promoting the U brand

6. We have Snoop Dogg on board - Yea he's washed up and over-the-hill now as a rapper, but he is still a relevant figure that recruits recognize. (If only he could convince his son to consider us).

What I would like to see out of this deal:

- Upgraded Facilities: Indoor practice field, get it done.
- Uniforms: New cutting-edge, preferably 5 or 6 combinations, and how bout we actually get a black on black uniform set for once. I like the idea of the black cleats but USC has that on lock and does it better than anyone else. Updated, retro versions of uniforms we wore in past games against opponents like Notre Dame, Nebraska, Penn State, etc. (At the very least, just give us the Louisville template with more combinations).
- Stadium: Will be interesting to see new SunLife next year, but will still probably be too big. On campus stadium will never happen because of space/traffic (US 1 is a nightmare as it is already). Still banking on the Marlins getting booted from the city and renovating (with help from Adidas money) that spaceship into a viable football stadium (already has the retractable roof).
- How bout a 10 win season...

Yeah Al Golden might be the most incompetent talent developer in the country, but the reality is he's not going anywhere for at least one more season. We're not gonna buy his contract out so stop talking about it and lets just ride this one out. (Worst case scenario, he manages somehow to win 9 games, wins a bowl game pushing the total to 10 and sets us back another 5 years)

This is how I see things right now going forward.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Snoop ain't washed up

[video=youtube;-Rn2HXrqUBA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rn2HXrqUBA[/video]

6. We have Snoop Dogg on board - Yea he's washed up and over-the-hill now as a raper, but he is still a relevant figure that recruits recognize. (If only he could convince his son to consider us).
Yeah...Bill Cosby still has the market cornered on that.

I agree with most of your post specifically about Nike falling asleep as the wheel. I understand the current state of the program is likely responsible, but to be one of a few as opposed to one of many is much more Miami's "style" in my opinion.
While some can't see anything good about the program right now, I feel the move to adidas was great and kudos to James for hitting the market and bringing it to fruition.

Advertisement
I am not a big fan of a $12 year deal. $4-$5 Million today is nice money but who knows what college football will look like is 5-10 years. If it keeps growing at the rate it is my guess is that will be on the lower end of top 25 :)diaf-mark:) programs.

Saying that I like a lot of what Adidas has done in the initial days and hope they continue to keep us as a priority team in their marketing campaigns.

I think in terms of pure apparel (jerseys and shoes excluded) that the Nike Canes stuff has been pretty stale the last couple of years. I personally used to look for Under Armour stuff on the internet (probably often bootlegged) as an alternative for basic shirts and such. Can't see Adidas being any worse of an alternative for Joe Fan looking for Canes shirts and shorts. The jerseys are a completely different topic but I don't see that bar being set extremely high after last season.

Let me preface this post by saying that I am probably the biggest supporter of Nike that you are going to find anywhere. Until recently, I have refused to buy anything but Nike shoes not only out of personal preference, but because I hated the notion that Adidas was some Euro "soccer company." With that being said, let me address the main points of the Adidas deal and how they pertain to the football program.

1. Adidas is paying more money than Nike was willing to offer - Clear and easy. The more money we are getting out of this, the better.

2. The Nike uniforms last year were garbage - Orange (christmas ornament) helmets? Are you kidding me? Don't even mention all the effort (none at all) they put into the white, green, grey (which we already had) and orange uniforms.

To be honest, a lot of what Nike has done in college football recently has been unimpressive. Just look at Oregon's uniforms for the natty, white on silver? You'd think they would at least add some yellow or green. Alabama still looks like the did 20 years ago while FSU downgraded.

3. The new pattern Adidas revealed is pretty sick - I don't remember Michigan getting put up all over ESPN.com when they switched over and as a college aged (UM student) myself, this innovation is a lot more attractive than a swoosh pasted on a default green U t-shirt. Nike put us in their backseat, while Adidas has us riding shotgun.

4. They are trying to make us the Oregon of Adidas - I don't really buy this but, hey, they've done a lot more for us in the past 48 hours than Nike has done in the past decade

5. The (ugly) cleats put out today were marketing tools and will never be worn in games - These were gifts to NFL alums welcoming them to the brand with the intention of them sharing their custom cleats on social media (which they did). All of this done in the name of promoting the U brand

6. We have Snoop Dogg on board - Yea he's washed up and over-the-hill now as a raper, but he is still a relevant figure that recruits recognize. (If only he could convince his son to consider us).

What I would like to see out of this deal:

- Upgraded Facilities: Indoor practice field, get it done.
- Uniforms: New cutting-edge, preferably 5 or 6 combinations, and how bout we actually get a black on black uniform set for once. I like the idea of the black cleats but USC has that on lock and does it better than anyone else. Updated, retro versions of uniforms we wore in past games against opponents like Notre Dame, Nebraska, Penn State, etc. (At the very least, just give us the Louisville template with more combinations).
- Stadium: Will be interesting to see new SunLife next year, but will still probably be too big. On campus stadium will never happen because of space/traffic (US 1 is a nightmare as it is already). Still banking on the Marlins getting booted from the city and renovating (with help from Adidas money) that spaceship into a viable football stadium (already has the retractable roof).
- How bout a 10 win season...

Yeah Al Golden might be the most incompetent talent developer in the country, but the reality is he's not going anywhere for at least one more season. We're not gonna buy his contract out so stop talking about it and lets just ride this one out. (Worst case scenario, he manages somehow to win 9 games, wins a bowl game pushing the total to 10 and sets us back another 5 years)

This is how I see things right now going forward.

Thoughts?

Alabama still looks like the did 20 years ago

I wish we did....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Moar Adidas threads! Keep em coming.

You've never been on a plane about to crash, huh? You start talking about the weather to the guy sitting next to you.

If you're talking about UM football, the plane already crashed.

Good point. At least the Zagackitron 5000 survived.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1992-08-28/news/9201180089_1_plane-homestead-general-airport-radio-stations

I am not a big fan of a $12 year deal. $4-$5 Million today is nice money but who knows what college football will look like is 5-10 years. If it keeps growing at the rate it is my guess is that will be on the lower end of top 25 :)diaf-mark:) programs.

Saying that I like a lot of what Adidas has done in the initial days and hope they continue to keep us as a priority team in their marketing campaigns.

4-5 million in cash and 4-5 million in equipmen and apparel. That's 8-10 million a year.... it's a very good deal

Advertisement
Concur with most

One thought I might add is that to lay blame on Nike for the sillieness that they brought to the table in 2104 might be only part of the story. I dont know how all this works but I assume the U approves mock ups of uniforms and has input into the process. The Athletic Department must have had a hand in those designs to some extent.

Some new life into a marketing program, some new $$$ into the AD budget, new seating at the stadium are all good things

Advertisement
Back