Additional ICs on the horizon??????

Advertisement
Right, but we have a one-year exemption (for 2021-2022) on roster numbers (85). 2021-22 is the year that "D'Eriq King was supposed to be gone".

Yes, 2022-2023 is the year of reckoning, because we are supposed to be down to 85 by August 2022. But there is plenty of time for the NCAA to pull another belated rabbit out of the hat.

FOR NOW, the issue is what to do with the December 2021/February 2022 signing class, because we are all CURRENTLY taking (or trying to take) kids out of the portal.

It's a very short diving board, I realize that. But we could all shed upperclassmen in May of 2022 to get down to 85. However, if we sign fewer than 25 in December 2021 and February 2022, it will be because of the 25 IC limit, and how to balance HS signees and Portal transfers.

85 is looming, but 85 is fixable. 25 has been an impending/ongoing disaster for nearly a year.

Just look at all the counters.

95 shipped players today
8 seniors
8 potential NFL guys
8 walk-ons that could have ships pulled
8 transfers/retirements (where do they land when everyone has a problem with 85 for 2022?)
---------------

85-63 = 22 minus 2 from this August THUS the 85 limit is much more important even for a team like Miami.

I don't know how the exemption will impact the early signing period. The exemption allows for extra counters based on '20 seniors returning THUS we could be at 93 not 95. No matter the actual number, we would likely have to have transfers and walk-ons pulled to allow early signing period kids to enroll in January.

All this said, I can't see the NCAA with their limited power not giving up on the 85 counters for '22 as well and giving every team 10 extra spots. IF that happens, Miami can then sign 30 kids and most schools can sign 20-25 kids.

As long as they limit the number of replacement counters for teams losing , i's a good idea. Otherwise you're just going to have teams cutting every third or fourth year player who hasn't cracked the rotation. You lose 5 guys to the transfer portal? You get 5 extra IC spots. You lose 10 guys to the transfer portal? you get 5 extra IC spots.

Advertisement
About Time GIF by memecandy
portland trailblazers yes GIF by NBA

Amen, brother. I don't know why Emmert is always expecting some divine intervention to bail his butt out of another sticky predicament.

100%. I am pretty confident that between, you, me, @Cribby, and @Canes Legacy, we pretty much had a very similar solution all figured out several months ago. Meanwhile, the NCAA moves at frozen molasses speed.

95 shipped players today
8 seniors
8 potential NFL guys
8 transfers/retirements (where do they land when everyone has a problem with 85 for 2022?)
---------------

85-63 = 22 minus 2 from this August THUS the 85 limit is much more important even for a team like Miami.

So you are saying that as of today, we could take 20 assuming we pull the scholarships for the walk-ons? Given how many unproductive guys we still have on this team, I am certain we will see 5 transfer out or otherwise leave the program, not even considering unexpected shockers like Tae and Cam Williams. My hope is we take all sports available to us within the revised class cap, and figure out the 85 later. It ALWAYS gets addressed.

Here are some obvious candidates:
* Wiggins
* Pope
* Payton
* Matocha
* Hodges
* Reed
* Herbert
* Hillery
* Also, 2021 is going to tell us a lot about the LBs. Expect one or more of Jennings, Huff, Steed, Brooks to depart

So you are saying that as of today, we could take 20 assuming we pull the scholarships for the walk-ons? Given how many unproductive guys we still have on this team, I am certain we will see 5 transfer out or otherwise leave the program, not even considering unexpected shockers like Tae and Cam Williams. My hope is we take all sports available to us within the revised class cap, and figure out the 85 later. It ALWAYS gets addressed.

Here are some obvious candidates:
* Wiggins
* Pope
* Payton
* Matocha
* Hodges
* Reed
* Herbert
* Hillery
* Also, 2021 is going to tell us a lot about the LBs. Expect one or more of Jennings, Huff, Steed, Brooks to depart
We have 8 seniors, 7 walks plus Few who was, 8 nfl types (could be less, could be more), 8 transfers/retirements(cam, tae, payton).

Thus we are at 91 from 95. We have averaged 8 transfers/retirements per year over the last 10 years. We could see more but we only can have 35 depart before we hit the 25 cap and that would require pulling 7 walk-on ships.

point being, 35 kids have to depart from 95 and as of today 4 have.

Advertisement
One last point, we technically can sign 50 kids with 25 starting in August much like Brown this year. Thus, 85 in August is the biggest limitation.

100%. I am pretty confident that between, you, me, @Cribby, and @Canes Legacy, we pretty much had a very similar solution all figured out several months ago. Meanwhile, the NCAA moves at frozen molasses speed.

It's incredible how easy of a solution it was yet it took how long for the suits at the NCAA to figure it out. Maybe they should just turn it over to us to help expedite their joke of an organization.

95 shipped players today
8 seniors
8 potential NFL guys
---------------

After years of making an honest effort, I now refuse to converse further with anyone who counts walk-ons.

It's too much. If someone really don't understand why those scholarships do NOT need to be "pulled", that person should refrain from the analysis.

One last point, we technically can sign 50 kids with 25 starting in August much like Brown this year. Thus, 85 in August is the biggest limitation.

Quit trying to revive a bullsh!te argument that is just wrong.

Advertisement
I don't know how the exemption will impact the early signing period. The exemption allows for extra counters based on '20 seniors returning THUS we could be at 93 not 95. No matter the actual number, we would likely have to have transfers and walk-ons pulled to allow early signing period kids to enroll in January.

All this said, I can't see the NCAA with their limited power not giving up on the 85 counters for '22 as well and giving every team 10 extra spots. IF that happens, Miami can then sign 30 kids and most schools can sign 20-25 kids.

You really don't understand the rules.

You really don't understand the rules.

you are the one thinking Miami can sign 25 kids and ignore the 85 cap. If you don’t think the 85 matters then back it up with facts. Go ahead and explain to everyone why we can only sign 23 to enroll before August.

After years of making an honest effort, I now refuse to converse further with anyone who counts walk-ons.

It's too much. If someone really don't understand why those scholarships do NOT need to be "pulled", that person should refrain from the analysis.

I see that you don’t know the rules yourself. Walkons given ships still count towards the 85. They don’t count towards the 25 IF they have been on campus for 2 years. Go ahead, check the rules and you’ll find it. You’ll also find the 115 rule as well to cap rosters.

I also know that every ship is a one year ship.

Last edited:
Advertisement
you are the one thinking Miami can sign 25 kids and ignore the 85 cap. If you don’t think the 85 matters then back it up with facts. Go ahead and explain to everyone why we can only sign 23 to enroll before August.

I see that you don’t know the rules yourself. Walkons given ships still count towards the 85. They don’t count towards the 25 IF they have been on campus for 2 years. Go ahead, check the rules and you’ll find it. You’ll also find the 115 rule as well to cap rosters.

I also know that every ship is a one year ship.

Your post is laughable. Completely devoid of truth or accuracy. You started out by trying to calculate scholarships FOR NEXT YEAR, but you keep jumping back and forth between years and rules, thus drawing the wrong conclusions.

I have never said that we can "ignore the 85 cap", genius, I very clearly specified when it would not apply (2021-2022). The fact of the matter is that we have NOT been giving green lights to certain HS recruits to commit at this point BECAUSE OF THE 25 IC LIMIT, NOT BECAUSE OF THE 85 COUNTER LIMIT. 25 is the issue now, and it has become a major issue due to the Portal rule changes, not because of COVID adjustments. 85 will be the issue in the future (but has always been an issue that every NCAA coach manages to figure out by the summer). That is the truth.

You are the factually incorrect person who claimed that we would have to "pull" 8 scholarships from walk-ons. You don't know what you are talking about. Don't try to backpedal now and act like you didn't say what you said, and don't try to mix metaphors by trying to quote COUNTER rule and INITIAL COUNTER rules in the same paragraph, when you don't even know the difference.

But, again, to stick to my own policies, I'm not going to converse with an ignorant person who counts walk-ons as an ongoing issue on the 85 counter limit. Those guys only have scholarships when (a) we are below 85 counters, or (b) the 85 counter limit is suspended (as it is for this year).

There has never been a single year of Miami football existence where we have failed to award a scholarship to a recruited player because of "walk-ons". It's not an issue. It never was. It never will be. We don't have to "pull" any walk-on scholarships. And anyone who yaps about it as if it is an issue is proving his own ignorance.

Let's see if we can dumb this down. The 85 overall scholarship limit MIGHT be a problem a year from now. The 25 IC limit IS A PROBLEM RIGHT NOW. We have been limiting the number of committable offers because we have had to count HS kids AND Portal kids in the 25, and this new proposal would start to fix that, so that ALL schools (not just Miami) can make more committable offers to HS kids. Which, again, is a CURRENT problem.

The 85 scholarship limit, while a real EVENTUAL issue for every program in the country, will be addressed as it always is, by coaches waiting until the last minute and then miraculously getting down to 85 via players leaving the program. Of course, because this is a nationwide EVENTUAL issue, and not one unique to Miami, there is reason to believe that the NCAA might take action on a multi-year process to get back to 85.

Last edited:
I say you keep the 25 intact. Then they should allow you to fill your portal losses with other players from the portal. So you get 5 that bolt well now go get 5 from the portal.

I say you keep the 25 intact. Then they should allow you to fill your portal losses with other players from the portal. So you get 5 that bolt well now go get 5 from the portal.
I think that’s what they are saying. Capping it at 7 though.

Your post is laughable. Completely devoid of truth or accuracy. You started out by trying to calculate scholarships FOR NEXT YEAR, but you keep jumping back and forth between years and rules, thus drawing the wrong conclusions.

I have never said that we can "ignore the 85 cap", genius, I very clearly specified when it would not apply (2021-2022). The fact of the matter is that we have NOT been giving green lights to certain HS recruits to commit at this point BECAUSE OF THE 25 IC LIMIT, NOT BECAUSE OF THE 85 COUNTER LIMIT. 25 is the issue now, and it has become a major issue due to the Portal rule changes, not because of COVID adjustments. 85 will be the issue in the future (but has always been an issue that every NCAA coach manages to figure out by the summer). That is the truth.

You are the factually incorrect person who claimed that we would have to "pull" 8 scholarships from walk-ons. You don't know what you are talking about. Don't try to backpedal now and act like you didn't say what you said, and don't try to mix metaphors by trying to quote COUNTER rule and INITIAL COUNTER rules in the same paragraph, when you don't even know the difference.

But, again, to stick to my own policies, I'm not going to converse with an ignorant person who counts walk-ons as an ongoing issue on the 85 counter limit. Those guys only have scholarships when (a) we are below 85 counters, or (b) the 85 counter limit is suspended (as it is for this year).

There has never been a single year of Miami football existence where we have failed to award a scholarship to a recruited player because of "walk-ons". It's not an issue. It never was. It never will be. We don't have to "pull" any walk-on scholarships. And anyone who yaps about it as if it is an issue is proving his own ignorance.

Let's see if we can dumb this down. The 85 overall scholarship limit MIGHT be a problem a year from now. The 25 IC limit IS A PROBLEM RIGHT NOW. We have been limiting the number of committable offers because we have had to count HS kids AND Portal kids in the 25, and this new proposal would start to fix that, so that ALL schools (not just Miami) can make more committable offers to HS kids. Which, again, is a CURRENT problem.

The 85 scholarship limit, while a real EVENTUAL issue for every program in the country, will be addressed as it always is, by coaches waiting until the last minute and then miraculously getting down to 85 via players leaving the program. Of course, because this is a nationwide EVENTUAL issue, and not one unique to Miami, there is reason to believe that the NCAA might take action on a multi-year process to get back to 85.

There are 3 important rules:
1. 25 Financial Aid Signings- a student-athlete can sign them using an Aid counter for Miami then enroll somewhere else leaving Miami with 1 less initial counter unless they sign a kid that already signed aid papers somewhere else but enrolls at Miami.
2. 25 Initial Counters per year. This can roll forward or back based on the date of enrollment for January and August kids while all others are in the year of the class.
3. 85 Counters = 85 kids enrolled on athletic ships. For '21-22, the 85 Counters was increased by the number of senior counters.

Miami isn't accepting commitments because of #1 and #3, NOT #2.

For the record, the NCAA by-laws use the term Counters for the 85 cap. Nowhere did I say it was 85 Initial Counters. I said it was the 85 counters which are the words the NCAA by-laws use.

Here are the current proposed changes which would make it 50 over a 2 year period:

If I'm wrong, feel free to post the facts and I'll admit I was wrong. I had no idea you cared so much about counters. Didn’t mean to cause you so much pain.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back